Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 06:17 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
There are loaded trains on Saturdays??
Yes because the trains are only coming once every 24-26 minutes. Metro should try to space the trains out evenly so that theoretically a train should come every 8 minutes through the core with the Silver, Orange, and Blue Lines all sharing the same tracks. But that's way too much to ask from Metro. Instead trains for all three lines show up at once.

There are tons of events downtown and in Arlington on weekends too that draw people on Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 08:36 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,329,129 times
Both of the arguers are correct, although I disagree that Tysons didn't need 4 stops.

The numbers currently for Tysons specific are lower than expected (off by about 1000 riders per station if I recall) with Tysons Corner Station being the only good performing location. Largely because highway traffic has improved from the end of major construction projects like HOT/DTR for SV/I66 to 495. That is a short term element however. As traffic continues to get worse from continued growth in outer areas people who currently break even to drive or metro to Tysons will consider other options. Additionally, as more apartments are delivered (there should be another 1000-2000 residents moving into Tysons over the next 12 - 18 months from all the projects being completed) that will add specifically to metro ridership. That is because those people moving in are more likely to be doing so due to metro access (otherwise they could spend a lot less money for an apartment not near metro).

Wiehle on the other hand is gangbusters. Shows that the SV corridor itself has a huge pent up demand for alternatives to driving.

Improved walkability in Tysons (one reason some people don't metro to Tysons because it is too tough walking anywhere once they are off) and additional density at the stations itself will mean the numbers will continue to improve. I think in the short term people over estimated ridership in Tysons and in the long term they vastly under estimated it. But that's just my opinion at this point in time.

The proof is in the numbers today. The station in Tysons that stands out right now (Tysons Corner Station) is also the one who had most of the construction near by and better walkability complete before the start of SV. Where as the one that lags, Greensboro, is the least developed and by far the least walkable part of town.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:04 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,568 times
I don't even really see the McLean station as being in Tysons. Technically I guess it is, but 495 pretty much completely cuts it off from the core of Tysons.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,329,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I don't even really see the McLean station as being in Tysons. Technically I guess it is, but 495 pretty much completely cuts it off from the core of Tysons.
That's changing. The Jones Branch Connector will make that area more homogenous to North Tysons and there are currently 4 major projects going on there (possibly 5 depending on what the demolition of the Johnson Build is for) with Commons of McLean, Cityline Phase 1, MITRE building 4, and Capitol One's headquarters. That part of Tysons will be the one that looks the most different between 2013 and 2018 based on those changes happening. The change isn't as visible yet because most of the construction for 3 of those projects is still in the below ground phase; but when they start popping up above ground it will completely modify the optics and skyline of that neighborhood.

Just for those that are curious about Tysons in general; the biggest changes from top to bottom

Most Change (2013 - 2018)
McLean Station
Spring Hill Station
Tysons Corner Station
Greensboro Station
Least Change (2013 - 2018)

Although Tysons Corner Station isn't done building yet either (possibly a new 31-story apartment beginning soon by Lerner across the street from VITA).

Old 06-01-2015, 10:17 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,241,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
It will pick up as more people move into the Tysons area. Think of this in the long term
This might be one time the area anticipated future needs adequately. Long-term planning--on the Virginia side, no less! Who'da thunk it?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:22 PM

294 posts, read 373,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Both of the arguers are correct, although I disagree that Tysons didn't need 4 stops.

The numbers currently for Tysons specific are lower than expected (off by about 1000 riders per station if I recall) with Tysons Corner Station being the only good performing location. Largely because highway traffic has improved from the end of major construction projects like HOT/DTR for SV/I66 to 495. That is a short term element however. As traffic continues to get worse from continued growth in outer areas people who currently break even to drive or metro to Tysons will consider other options. Additionally, as more apartments are delivered (there should be another 1000-2000 residents moving into Tysons over the next 12 - 18 months from all the projects being completed) that will add specifically to metro ridership. That is because those people moving in are more likely to be doing so due to metro access (otherwise they could spend a lot less money for an apartment not near metro).

Wiehle on the other hand is gangbusters. Shows that the SV corridor itself has a huge pent up demand for alternatives to driving.

Improved walkability in Tysons (one reason some people don't metro to Tysons because it is too tough walking anywhere once they are off) and additional density at the stations itself will mean the numbers will continue to improve. I think in the short term people over estimated ridership in Tysons and in the long term they vastly under estimated it. But that's just my opinion at this point in time.

The proof is in the numbers today. The station in Tysons that stands out right now (Tysons Corner Station) is also the one who had most of the construction near by and better walkability complete before the start of SV. Where as the one that lags, Greensboro, is the least developed and by far the least walkable part of town.
Any of those places going to be decent quality with real walls? I've not heard much good about most of the recently opened places in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia