Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 PM

14 posts, read 11,605 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone.

We have a 1200 square foot finished basement with 3 windows, sliding glass doors, full bathroom with bath tub. The heating/air conditioning is controlled by the middle level. Our tenant has lived here since February, sometimes travels, uses our laundry on Sundays, and never comes up to use the kitchen. She has a mini fridge/microwave in the basement.

She's currently paying $925/month including all utilities (internet too). Today she asked us if her nephew who is a toddler could move in as his parents are having family troubles. Poor boy but he's blessed to have an amazing aunt.

Originally we liked the idea of only having 1 tenant, no children, for the peace and solitude. Plus she travels sometimes. But we are open to entertaining the idea of him staying. We've even considered building a kitchenette down there with tile, cabinets, bigger fridge, counter space, etc.

Would you charge extra for utilities or even rent in general if he moved in? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 10:21 AM

Anyone have thoughts on this? Any input appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Old 08-29-2015, 11:21 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,568 times
A toddler would have no impact on utilities. You're charging for the space, not the headcounts, but I guess it ultimately depends on how much flexibility you have in the lease.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:33 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

Old 08-29-2015, 12:02 PM

Thank you both! I feel as though a toddler would, because instead of 68 degrees we'd keep it on 70 in the winter. Also he would take hot baths every night and our tenant currently doesn't cook but said she would cook every night for him. Plus the wear and tear I would think having a toddler with a lot of energy would do some wear and tear? The whole house is immaculate.

Thanks again.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:10 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,607,699 times
It seems to me the three factors you need most to consider for your own satisfaction with the new arrangement are
1) how much it's going to cost to build out the kitchenette and how long to recoup that expense;
2) wear & tear from a toddler (and a big increase in laundry b/c, bless them, they're messy little people); and
3) noise factor, because the best of kids still have meltdowns, scream & shriek with joy, run themselves into furniture and walls by accident, etc.

Is additional rent going to be sufficient to make up for any aggravations that come with him moving in? Is the situation with one or the other parent problematic, so s/he will be showing up at your house in an aggrieved frame of mind?

Your house, your budget, your tolerance levels, your area's rental market will all factor into the decision

Old 08-29-2015, 12:35 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 08-29-2015, 01:16 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,427,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquitabanana9 View Post
Thank you both! I feel as though a toddler would, because instead of 68 degrees we'd keep it on 70 in the winter. Plus the wear and tear I would think having a toddler with a lot of energy would do some wear and tear?
It sounds like you want to charge more, so charge more. Obviously tell your tenant before the toddler moves in.

I wouldn't feel guilty because it's a toddler. Lots of people charge more for dogs even though children are far more like little tornadoes than most dogs.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:20 PM

Thanks she's currently paying $925 including utilities like I mentioned. I just want it to be fair if we do ask to increase the rent. Will tell her tomorrow probably, but the toddler doesn't plan to move in until October. Thanks again.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:25 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,568 times
So no lease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: