Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 07:42 PM

5 posts, read 12,184 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving into an apartment right near the Ballston Mall (intersection of Wilson and N. Quincy).

Does anyone have some insight on the safety of this area, like walking your dog around after 10pm on weekends, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 07:54 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Very safe. North Arlington has very low crime rates.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:52 PM

490 posts, read 649,537 times
Totally unsafe. Too many millenials.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Very safe. North Arlington has very low crime rates.
I've heard that the Ballston mall area can be shady, especially at night. Just want to set the rumors straight or look elsewhere

Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaconda1 View Post
I've heard that the Ballston mall area can be shady, especially at night. Just want to set the rumors straight or look elsewhere
If by shady you mean the bike share rack is out of bikes, I guess. There's only a couple of bars open late in Ballston so it's actually quite deserted, especially compared to Clarendon (which is just as safe).

If there aren't a bunch of people hanging out outside the liquor store at 7am or homeless people in the parks (like many spots in DC) it's pretty safe.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Near the mall area there is a bus terminal or station near the Metro station entrance and exit. It can look a little shady to people who are used to a more sanitized Arlington. It seems to have some people that hang around there to socialize for various reasons and serves some of the less affluent areas of Arlington and Fairfax counties.

I use the buses and the Metro station fairly often and do not consider them unsafe though I am careful around the larger groups of teens, mostly because I find large groups of teens to be loud and unpredictable.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:58 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
The Mall is a bit rundown and depressing but I've never heard of it being dangerous.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:20 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
As a single woman, I would definitely live there. No problem whatsoever. My friend lives there now, and I've been in the area at various times (even 1 a.m.). I'm pretty picky, but Ballston has never bothered me.

BTW the area is slated to undergo a major renovation. The mall will become an "open" pedestrian space. This might be a few years away. Just throwing this out!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:49 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Thinking about moving into an apartment right near the Ballston Mall (intersection of Wilson and N. Quincy).

Does anyone have some insight on the safety of this area, like walking your dog around after 10pm on weekends, etc.
I work in the area and just applied for a room nearby myself. I've also been after dark there a few times. I have no concern about the mall area. Probably the biggest concern is wayward teens but otherwise the area is safe.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:15 PM

948 posts, read 3,355,361 times
Default Somewhat sketchy

My son was robbed by knifepoint in the mall during business hours. After talking to the cop who took the report we were told the mall IS a big crime area due to quick access to the train and streets. Not saying it's Detroit but many assume it's super safe area. Read the arlington crime reports to see for yourself--robberies most everyday and night there. Be smart and don't walk around with ear buds in or your cell phone out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia