Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 03:22 PM

11 posts, read 11,482 times

Advertisements

Cape Henelopan State Par in DE. they have hot water showers also in there. But it also fills up quickly and about 140 miles from the reagion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 06:19 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
To the OP: All the beaches will be crowded and traffic will be heavy. Many places in OC/MD require a 3-night minimum. I think VA beach doesn't really do that.
I think it's pretty common for VA Beach Hotels to require at least two nights on the weekend in the season. Even the cheap hotel I go to sometime requires that so I'd think most would.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:02 AM

31 posts, read 81,637 times
Thanks for all the replies!

After reading all the posts, I chickened out and decided not to take the family to the beach this Labor Day weekend. I love them but the thought of having to sit in a car for hours with nothing better to do wasn't all too appealing. I think we'll probably check out downtown DC this weekend and do the beach next weekend.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:03 AM

109 posts, read 155,679 times
To the OP. I'm going to Va Beach and I'm not leaving until tonight, probably after 10 PM. I have left at 8PM, 6PM, and 9PM on Labor Day going to Va Beach. When I left at 8 I sailed right through. When I left at 6 I was in traffic for 2 hours. When I left at 9 I was fine.

As far as finding a place to stay, most of the waterfront hotels do require a 3 day stay, but they also get a lot of no shows. So if you ride around at 6 or 7 or 8 AM, you can find a room. I have done that before. OR you can stay at one of the many hotels close to, but not right on the beach (Most of them are about 5-20 minutes away, and prices are $150 or less once you get away from the beach)

The Ocean View area is nice too. But that's more of a Bay Beach.

Hope that helps. You can also get on 301 S and take that to Route 17 and ride 17 to Va Beach if you scared of traffic. That's more of a scenic route though

Old 09-09-2015, 02:11 PM

5 posts, read 2,686 times
Two weekends ago I took the wife and three year old daughter to VA Beach and had a great time. Cruised the boardwalk; but also drove along Route 60 up to First Landing State Park that faces the Bay just around the inlet. The advantage of First Landing is that it is less crowded and provides calm water with little or no wave action for the toddler crowd. The sand and atmosphere is similar to the ocean side minus the shopping. Also, the park offers great nature trails through the tidewater swamps. If you have never been there, it is worth a trip and only 15 minutes from the main VA Beach boardwalk.

As for hotels, I stayed at a comfortable $60 a night motel just outside the gates of Fort Eustis in Newport News. The inn offers a free, full breakfast including waffles, eggs and the works. It is a 30 minute trip to the beach; but ideal if you are trying to save some money.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:28 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
I don't even know how you managed to get to the VB Oceanfront from Fort Eustis in 30 minutes. Did you have warp travel? :O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia