Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 04:30 AM

6,751 posts, read 6,754,876 times

Advertisements

I'm just starting the process to move full-time to San Francisco by next summer. I can't tell you how sad I am about this. I much prefer DC as a city, it's got great energy, people from all over, and is far cleaner than the city by the Bay. And it's warmer and less provincial than NY or Boston, and offers a cosmopolitan lifestyle with far less hassle than those regions. Plus, there's pro-business Northern Virginia next door, which has a lower tax burden, and more educated population, than any of the major tech cities. However, this region is addicted to Federal dollars, and has a remarkably weak commercial tech economy.

Northern Virginia has always accounted for most of the activity here, and somehow its leaders, tech workers, and economic development officials just let things slide back to Pentagon dependency.

Even with the recovery of the last five years, this region's commercial tech economy has gotten worse. Its share of VC keeps dropping. In the late 90s/2000 boom, we were getting close to NY and Boston for VC dollars raised, pulling in as much as $1.5 billion/quarter. The $200 million/quarter we raise now isn't just nearly 10x less than NY and Boston, it's less than we raised during the bust in 2002.

10 years ago, the choice for a commercial tech worker was working in Tyson's or Reston. Today's it's deteriorated to working in a home office or inside a data center.

There is a lot of interest in new technology here, more than most places, but mostly in using it to build things for the government, and using technology from companies based elsewhere. Yeah, there are a couple software/cloud companies like Cvent, Microstrategy, K2, etc. But for every company here, there are 10 in Boston, never mind Silicon Valley. Very different from the days when webmethods was one of the fastest growing software companies anywhere and UUNet was the leader in Internet infrastructure.

Could things turn around? No. Reason is so many of the great engineers here are lured by the government, get security clearances or 8A designations, and begin operating in an environment that you really only get here. One where the client doesn't need to make a profit, has endless rules and regulations, and a culture that's 180 degrees away from the vibrant, entrepreneurial pace I see in even large companies in Boston, Seattle, or San Francisco. Sequesters and shutdowns do nothing to shake people out of it.

My wife works in HR, and really feels the culture differences. She also likes DC better than SF, but likes their companies much better.

Will be sad to go, but this area's fallen too far. Had to accept reality and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 04:32 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,262,124 times
I just came back from San Fran for work. Not a city I could ever reside in. Hopefully it works well for you.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:10 AM

239 posts, read 281,771 times
If the salary is good in your case, I'm incredibly jealous. SF is a great city to be in, if you can afford to live there.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:47 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,407,639 times
I just read a report that between August 2014 and August 2015, Virginia's seasonally adjusted non farm jobs were up 41,000 and 35,500 of those jobs were in Northern Virginia, so while things are going better here I don't think the market will ever get back to what it was honestly.

Good luck in San Francisco!

Old 09-24-2015, 11:17 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,535,509 times
It's warmer alright. I wouldn't miss 110 degrees days for a second though or the -10 degrees days either. Hopefully, I'll be in LA this time next year.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:30 PM

490 posts, read 650,702 times
San Fran is awesome. I've visited many times and have loved it. Consider yourself lucky to get out of the rat race here.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:23 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,583,758 times
I prefer living in SoCal but understand the tech economy is much stronger in SF. Either way I'd rather be out here than back east. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2015, 05:12 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,686,913 times
If true, this is wonderful news.

The ONLY solution to our traffic woes is if a few million people GO HOME (or elsewhere will do)!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:58 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,754,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
If true, this is wonderful news.

The ONLY solution to our traffic woes is if a few million people GO HOME (or elsewhere will do)!
Most people in my industry have already left. Plenty more people will be coming to town in order to make a living off your tax dollars.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:16 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,686,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Most people in my industry have already left. Plenty more people will be coming to town in order to make a living off your tax dollars.

I've always wondered why, with all the marvelous modern cyber stuff available.....why in the hell can't folks hop onto Uncle Sam's gravy train AND still live hundreds or thousands of miles away? Why do they have to physically be here to latch onto the teat? Couldn't their magic screens transport them here for 8 hours a day?

Or for that matter, why does Uncle Sam need to be here? That's SO 18th century! Dismantle the Federal buildings and re-erect them out in the desert somewhere....just think much easier they would be to defend from turrah and all!

Last edited by car54; 09-24-2015 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia