Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:01 PM

147 posts, read 254,354 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to get a new gas range from Home Depot. It comes with free delivery but have additional installation fees.

1) $199 for installation by a licensed professional
2) $24 for new gas connector kit
3) $55 for a permit & trade fee

We have an existing gas stove in the house. We were shocked at the additional fees. Extra costs almost half as much as our appliance! The first two items makes sense but I have never heard of a permit & trade fee. We were told it is a Fairfax county cost (tax?). Anyone paid this fee before and know more about it. It is listed as optional in the Home Depot checkout. Do we need it?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 06:05 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalhockey View Post
We were told it is a local county cost (tax?).
Well, which county are you in?

Old 11-24-2015, 06:09 PM

Fairfax County

Old 11-24-2015, 06:10 PM

It's required.

When a Permit is Required*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Google is your friend.....

Old 11-24-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It's required.

When a Permit is Required*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Google is your friend.....

yes, I have read that but Home Depot check out states it is optional when I put in my zip code 22303

what is consequence of not getting it?

Old 11-24-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:

The consequence is that Home Depot will not install it without having one. It's possible the payment system lists it as optional because you likely have the ability to obtain one yourself. Or, their system is not tied into code regulations and updates.

I think you will be very hard pressed to find any licensed installer to do it without the permit.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:44 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
It could also be listed as optional because any 223-zip code prefix can cover the City of Alexandria as well as Fairfax County. The place name of Alexandria is in the county and city, hence the fee is optional by mailing address in their POS terminal, but required since you are in the county. The installer will verify the location, and will know if a permit is required or not, hence the reason why they will not install without one as they do not want trouble with the county.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-25-2015, 02:19 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times
Just hire a handyman to do it off the books, or do it yourself. It's seriously not a big deal to hook it up. Use teflon tape and a heavy enough wrench to get it on their tightly; if you don't smell gas, you did it right!

Requiring permits for such small things is a racket for HD and your county government. I mean, they let everyone operate a gas stove, and you could blow the house up easily doing that, if you were stupid or had no sense of smell.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 AM

529 posts, read 750,592 times
Quote:
yes, I have read that but Home Depot check out states it is optional when I put in my zip code 22303

God forbid, if something bad happens, for e.g. fire caused by your gas range, then insurance will not cover the damages as the gas range doesn't have permit from local county.

It's just $55, get it and forget it. You don't want to face any big problem in the future.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:29 AM

654 posts, read 423,826 times
If you are somewhat of a DIY'r you can easily do this yourself. The hardest part of the install is the heavy lifting. You can go on youtube for the gas line connection part, its really simple. Shut off valve, disconnect line, remove old stove, install new stove, put pipe thread compound on the thread, tighten very well, turn on valve check for gas smell. All done. Home depot sells a complete kit with the the line, connector, fittings, sealant, and leak detector for $30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: