Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:17 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times

Advertisements

Big question is how much commute are you willing to put up with the get to Federal Triangle?

If you housing budget can't be adjusted, I would suggest adjusting your expectations. You can get a nice townhouse in Reston for your budget and have about 70 minute commute to Federal Triangle using Metro's Silver Line.

11719 NEWBRIDGE CT, RESTON, VA | MLS FX9527699 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11613 HUNTERS GREEN CT, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8753964 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11621 NEWBRIDGE CT, RESTON, VA | MLS FX9506624 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 10:02 AM

540 posts, read 790,309 times
I would think about Springfield/Burke. Park at the Franconia/Springfield metro station and take the Yellow line to the Archives stop and just walk the couple of blocks to the Federal Triangle area.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:11 PM

45 posts, read 49,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Big question is how much commute are you willing to put up with the get to Federal Triangle?

If you housing budget can't be adjusted, I would suggest adjusting your expectations. You can get a nice townhouse in Reston for your budget and have about 70 minute commute to Federal Triangle using Metro's Silver Line.
DO NOT settle for a 70 minute commute using the Silver Line from Reston. The 70 minute commute occurs only when there are no delays on Metro - meaning, when the trains are not malfunctioning, or there are no emergencies.

For a year I tried commuting using the Silver line from Reston to my Crystal City job and gave up -it took too long and it was too expensive.

I still live out, but now I work an earlier schedule and commute by carpool. Much quicker and cheaper, and I'm a much happier Mom to my family

Either move in close and give up the dream of a spacious spread, or try carpooling or slugging.

Just don't metro in from Reston!

Old 12-01-2015, 02:54 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
As others have said, I would look to Woodbridge/Bristow and use the VRE into DC. The differences in the two:

Bristow is newer and nicer because it's newer. Many young families there. However, if for some reason your husband wants to commute another way besides VRE, it becomes horrible.

Woodbridge: very diverse community but a better commute overall than from the western side of Prince William County.

Now, living in PWC myself, I can tell you that I would totally buy an older house in Springfield/Burke if it was an option.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:54 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
If you're going to DC and considering Prince William County, I would look at Woodbridge. Tons of options to get to DC, Horner Rd is the largest commuter lot in the Virginia.

But if you can, you should look to living inside the beltway, will make things much easier from a commuting perspective.
Commuter/express buses travel from Woodbridge to DC for less than VRE and are faster. Of course VRE isv also an option as is slugging. Lots of faster options from Woodbridge vs just driving or metro ( metro is not an option from Woodbridge).

Old 12-01-2015, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,201 times
Hello again,

Thank you so much for your advises, that is very important to me.
We are getting ready for our house hunting trip, and trying to sale our current property.
And.. I am not so blind anymore about the areas what I want to see.

My husband's commute for last 4 years has been taking 1-1.30 hour depend of the time, like everywhere else. He is looking into the same time commute, except with VRE it will be more relaxing ( fix me if I am wrong).

Right now our yard is almost an acre, it's flat, have a pool, good size of the garden, fire pit, fence on a back, etc.
With little kids and dog it will be harder to move to a smaller house with no yard at all.
I don't want to have a big land, but reasonable size ( 0.3-0.4) wouldn't be to bad to have.
We have a very friendly neighborhood, so I hope to keep the same pattern ( if only we will get lucky).

From our researches we already removed Ashburn(Reston, etc). I still would like to see the Bristow area, but we will not looking into moving there. Thank you real estate agents for your resources, nice try.

Woodbridge/Springfield/Burke in our list.
I totally agree with Fallout Zone , ChristineVA and some other people who mentioned older and smaller houses , but better commute and school districts. We have a slightly different view to this points with my husband. He is dreaming about new big house with decent yard, and ok with long commute.

I found interesting article btw https://unclutterer.com/2011/05/26/a...nd-in-divorce/

Old 12-01-2015, 11:14 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Hey OP! Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Never give up, I found you two single family homes in a very safe area, with an amazing school district and pool! Your last resort should be Woodbridge and then maybe choose between Burke/Springfield based on your visit. It's true you get more bang for your buck in Woodbridge although the schools aren't so great and you're more safe in a place like Burke/Springfield. Overall really look into Springfield, Burke is a little more pricier. I think Springfield is the best option overall! Good luck!

Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 PM

41 posts, read 92,182 times
The closer to Dc you will be the more expensive it will be..
Then you have the best school in the Fairfax district or Prince william County...
VRE ligne in the Prince W county can be a solution but depend if your hubby will just relay on it.
From Fredericksburg to l'Enfant Plaza in Dc the line will take you. (Via, Woodbridge area, Springfield...etc..)
Definately Bristow, Gainesville where community are more oriented toward young couple with kids...
Homes prices from 280-350 ( Townhome) or 380-500k for a SFH...depend what you ask for...upgrade luxury bath g. Granite counter etc...
Our Agent Jennifer Rivera from Quantico Reality group/Treck reality (Pentagon Reality)etc...she is an expert in the area..she helped me when i moved in the USA...we felt like family with her..
She is great..you should try contact her on Facebook too
Now from our are (BGH-Bristow Gainesville Haymarket) you have the route 66 to work...mit is a mess and a question of habit...depend on the hubby patience to stay in traffic before 8am or fluid traffic after 8:30....
Good luck

Old 12-02-2015, 06:53 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
I'm not so sure about your husband relying on VRE. That would only get him to L'Enfant Plaza which is still almost a mile from Federal Triangle and close to a 20 minute walk. Him taking VRE to Metro would be very, very expensive too.

I would stick to a commuter bus, carpool, or Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia