Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 01:12 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,251,184 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the insight everyone, it's good to know that there are options if this job comes through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 02:30 PM

2,092 posts, read 4,261,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I know JfromReston. I was just pulling your leg because you are usually much more supportive of Reston.
I wanted to show him what kind of options were available in Reston, while at the same letting him know that 30 minute commutes on public transit are not possible from Reston.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:55 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,115,714 times
It might require some patience, but I'd consider looking in the 22205 zip code in Arlington or 22043 zip code in Falls Church, but only if you're OK with an older house, such as a 1950s rambler in decent condition. You'd get the inner-ring suburb with the shorter commute and good schools, but the trade-off is a smaller house.

Reston, VA isn't what I'd consider an inner-ring suburb, so I'm not going to opine on it here. Silver Spring is an inner-ring suburb and it's generally more affordable than areas of NoVa that are a similar distance to Metro Center. The Woodside Forest neighborhood looks like it has some nice houses in the $600-700K range.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:23 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,251,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
It might require some patience, but I'd consider looking in the 22205 zip code in Arlington or 22043 zip code in Falls Church, but only if you're OK with an older house, such as a 1950s rambler in decent condition. You'd get the inner-ring suburb with the shorter commute and good schools, but the trade-off is a smaller house.

Reston, VA isn't what I'd consider an inner-ring suburb, so I'm not going to opine on it here. Silver Spring is an inner-ring suburb and it's generally more affordable than areas of NoVa that are a similar distance to Metro Center. The Woodside Forest neighborhood looks like it has some nice houses in the $600-700K range.
We're currently in a 60 year old 1600sf ranch home and really don't require any more space, though we do like that it's been updated. anyways, it's good know that there may be options for us.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:57 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
It might require some patience, but I'd consider looking in the 22205 zip code in Arlington or 22043 zip code in Falls Church, but only if you're OK with an older house, such as a 1950s rambler in decent condition.
I live in the former zip. True, most of the houses are older, but we have plenty of charming prewar houses too.

Silver Spring only makes sense if you work in MD. Otherwise, it means a longer commute, worse schools, higher taxes, and more crime.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:56 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,115,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I live in the former zip. True, most of the houses are older, but we have plenty of charming prewar houses too.

Silver Spring only makes sense if you work in MD. Otherwise, it means a longer commute, worse schools, higher taxes, and more crime.
I'm sure there are a lot of people who live in Silver Spring, work near Metro Center in DC, and find both the schools and the commute acceptable.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:16 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,969,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

The schools close to downtown Silver Spring inside the beltway are rather good, especially the western part. Also Silver Spring tends to be rather safe in general, the only problem area being east of sligo creek.

If one is working in Downtown DC though it does NOT mean a longer commute. It could actually mean a shorter commute compared to much of Northern Virginia. It also means far better transit accessibility than downtown DC as well as an easier drive (rock creek parkway). I should note, I do not consider the "Silver Spring postal area" outside of the beltway to be Silver Spring. That's just eastern Montgomery county whether it's Wheaton or whatever. This confusion I blame on the postal service for not making Silver Spring postal addresses strictly the boundary of the census designated place. The poorer schools tend to be in the part outside the beltway outside of the census designated place. Then again they did something similar for Alexandria where places far outside of Alexandria city have an Alexandria address. Then again the ignorance on this matter is fairly astounding. Silver Spring, as in Silver Spring proper (the census designated place) would be fine. The schools are good, it literally borders the city, has excellent transit, it's walkable, it's safe, and it's in their budget. The taxes are higher, that part you are right on though (but no personal property tax). As a general rule, if it's outside the beltway, I don't consider it Silver Spring, no matter what somebodies postal address says.

Again if you are working in DC, keeping inside the beltway is recommended. It also depends what they are looking for. If they are looking for a walkable neighborhood within 40 minutes of DC and under $700k, Silver Spring is a good option. Once you get outside the beltway the commuting time increases substantially in many cases no matter where one lives.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 01-08-2016 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia