Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,251,184 times

Advertisements

Office would near the metro center subway station. We are a family of four with two kids (1 and 3), looking for a detached 3 bedroom house. We are currently in the San Fernando valley of LA, but this job may be worth the cross country move. For housing, we could do $3500 to rent or around $700k to buy. I understand DC is very expensive like LA, but I'm hoping my budget could still put me within a 30-40 minute with public transit definitely in play. My preference is for inner ring suburbs with nearby parks, shops and restaurants. Being so unfamiliar with this part of the country, I'm most curious if this budget would allow for a reasonable commute and a nice and safe neighborhood. If so, im curious which areas to consider. I suppose I'd be open to MD as well, but I understand the taxes are lighter in VA. All thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 04:56 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,510,972 times
This should be doable. Reston is a little farther out but I feel you could get a house there with that budget.

Montgomery county Maryland I am less knowledgeable about but I think that is similar to Reston.

You may be able to get closer in. Annandale is a closer and cheaper but it is not mass transit friendly and I do not think the school pyramids are generally desirable.

Will your company give you a transit subsidy or is it too soon to know?

Old 01-07-2016, 07:04 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,261,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
This should be doable. Reston is a little farther out but I feel you could get a house there with that budget.
Reston is 40 minutes on the Metro from Metro Center. Once you add the time it takes to get to the station, wait for the train (every 6 minutes during peak commuting times) and get to your office from the train once in DC, you are really looking at a 60+ minute commute. I commute from Reston to Federal Triangle and live just over a mile from the station in Reston. It takes me 60-70 minutes most days.

I doubt you are going to find what you are looking for in a home with a 30 minute commute time to an office near Metro Center.

Reston has lots to offer for your family and a good selection of homes in your price range. The market supply is low right now - but that is usual for this time of year and should improve in a month or so. Here are a few options to consider.

Rentals
1817 POST OAK TRL, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8754249 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2043 BEACON PL, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9524036 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11115 TIMBERHEAD CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8763247 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Sales
1817 POST OAK TRL, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8716165 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2072 AMBERJACK CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8706633 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11510 TURNBRIDGE LN, RESTON, VA 20194 | MLS FX9513107 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 01-07-2016, 07:07 AM

Is this JfromReston? LOL

Old 01-07-2016, 07:31 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,970 times
Look in the Falls Church Area. You could definitely find something in your price range there and it's served by Metro's Orange Line which also serves Metro Center (20 min train ride).

Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,261,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Is this JfromReston? LOL
Old Guard - your brought up Reston!

Old 01-07-2016, 07:59 AM

172 posts, read 330,635 times
BRinSM,
If you are willing to consider a townhouse, Virginia Center community is located directly across Vienna Metro station. I used to commute from Vienna metro to Metro Center (orange line, direct commute) and it took me exactly 30 min. You should add a few minutes here and there to walk from your home to Vienna station and then from Metro Center to your office, but overall, by DC standards, it is relatively an easy commute.

Currently there are a few townhouses for sale in this neighborhood, generally around 700k. Nottoway park is located right next to it, Vienna town is near by, variety of restaurants, main highways, malls, etc. Vienna is a nice and safe area :-)

http://www.mrishomes.com/homes-for-s...2181-160852813
http://www.mrishomes.com/homes-for-s...2181-146330776

Good luck with your search and potential move!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Old Guard - your brought up Reston!
I know JfromReston. I was just pulling your leg because you are usually much more supportive of Reston.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:10 AM

529 posts, read 753,723 times
In DC Metro area, you should be looking for 45-60 minutes commute at least, not 30 minutes.

If you are open to 60 minute commute, you have a very wide range of options. Also, you need to consider good school districts as your kids will be in school in a few years time.

Also, it will be better if you rent an apartment/townhome first to get to know about the areas here.
Falls church/Arlington/Vienna/Tysons are probably nice areas for you to rent and explore areas before you decide to buy a home.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:22 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,969,979 times
Unlike many people who post, you do have the budget to actually afford something a little closer. The thing is some areas are out of play, others are not, and you have to consider how much space you want and your public transit access. Seeing your budget you may want to consider some of the neighborhoods in DT Silver Spring and Old Takoma Park, MD (this is the area on the Maryland side closest to the metro). This would put you 35-40 minutes from DC via public transit). On the Virginia side you are looking at Alexandria likely with your budget if you want to stay close to public transit, and maybe the neighborhood close to Pentagon City in Arlington. Alexandria you are looking at potentially a 45 minute to an hour commute via metro though. Falls Church should also be considered. Likewise Rockville and North Bethesda are also both options, Bethesda and Chevy Chase though may be out of your budget, but you may get lucky. If you would like in DC you may want to check out Shepherd Park which is zoned for Dean/Wilson and has a great elementary school, which are the two good schools inside DC.

I don't think your budget is out of line, in fact you have far more options than many people who post on the DC area boards who are far more budget constrained. You are in good shape, and are more likely to find something within a 40 minute commute. The one thing to note is consider both NoVA, and Montgomery County. There is a bit of a different feel between them, and you may like one over the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia