Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 07:25 AM

19 posts, read 21,647 times

Advertisements

I work in DC but sick of condos and NOISE want to move to a house. We really like the living between Alexandria and DC (officially Alexandria). Very quiet street.

Contract ratified. Currently being Radon inspected. Sellers agreed to be out of the house for 48 hrs. I wanted to ask few questions about Radon and would be REALLY GRATEFUL for your thoughts.

As a background, I have behind me 15 years of smoking (deeply regret), one of my parents died of lung cancer, so my risk is high and my tolerance for further risk (asbestos, radon) is VERY low. I also am VERY noise sensitive following a concussion (2 years ago!).

Problem is that the best place of the house is the lower level, not really much of a basement, since it is mostly above grade and counted in Sqft. Has a really nice office and appealing features.

My first question is, how loud is the most quiet mitigation system? Most likely the work will be in the laundry area which is adjacent to the office, so will I hear anything in the office?

My second question is , based on my history should I just avoid the basement for any measurement above 2pc/L? Since mitigation systems apparently can't guarantee a lower level post-mitigation...

I think my agent will kill me if I walk out yet again on another house. Also my options are limited since Radon is apparently everywhere in North Virginia. I'd rather stay in Condo over increasing significantly my lung cancer risk.

I am really very confused and distressed....
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 07:37 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,736,297 times
I think you're worrying too much. I don't blame you, given the background, but here's what I know:

First, you don't even have the test results yet. They may show you have no radon at all. Wait for them to come back before you worry about a problem you may not have.

Second, radon is not a big problem in NoVA till you get out toward the mountains; lo and behold, CityData has this radon map showing this. There's also this database here, showing only than 6% of Alexandria houses have higher levels.

Third, I imagine a mitigation system is very effective. Otherwise, the manufacturer would get sued out of existence.

Is it loud? No idea, but I imagine it's probably like an AC unit--perhaps a background thrum you can easily get used to. You definitely seem more bothered by the idea of radon, so if you can't tune out that noise, maybe use headphones or earplugs.

Fourth, your basement isn't even that much below grade! So yours should be at less risk than others.

Fifth, everyone here has finished basements. We do. We waived our radon inspection when we bought our house. I doubt there is any radon, but if there is, it comes from the ground/rocks and follows the path of least resistance--up through the crawl space behind the wall to the ground vent, rather than through the wall into the living space.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-09-2016 at 08:06 AM..

Old 01-09-2016, 10:04 AM

153 posts, read 173,984 times
We bought a house in West Springfield in late 2014. We had a radon test conducted as part of the contract. The test found elevated levels in the finished basement, which is not uncommon for this area of Fairfax.

A mitigation system was installed prior to closing. The mitigation system brought radon levels to near zero. The fan is enclosed within a cylinder and sits outside the utility room window. You can only hear it whirring if you're literally within a foot of it.

I wouldn't get too confused or distressed. See what the results from your test are, and go from there. All will be well!

Old 01-09-2016, 03:31 PM

Thank you both for your responses. The reason I am worried ahead of the results because I only have one day to decide after I see the test.

I was actually wondering whether the fact that it is below grade it makes it less prone to radon entry... Haven't found any reference on that.

Would opening the windows, which I do often at home, or putting a fan on the windows bring the radon down substantially. Say if it is at 4pci/L you think keeping air coming in and out would reduce the concentration to 2 or below?

Regarding noise: SO I do not have to worry about finding a system that would not ruin the quiet that I have been searching for.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2016, 01:16 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,897,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
First, you don't even have the test results yet. They may show you have no radon at all. Wait for them to come back before you worry about a problem you may not have.

Second, radon is not a big problem in NoVA till you get out toward the mountains; lo and behold, CityData has this radon map showing this. There's also this database here, showing only than 6% of Alexandria houses have higher levels.
While I agree that until you have the results in front of you it's not necessarily worth worrying over, just being away from the mountains is not an easy way out so to speak. I just had a Woodbridge 22192 home come back at an 11.9 a couple weeks ago.

That being said, after the mitigation kit was installed, the retest came back at a .7, well below the EPA level that mitigation should be seriously looked into.

Threadstarter.. wait for the results, then analyze, if they are elevated, how best to install a kit, since every home is unique. Most kits will place the motor on the exterior of the home, greatly minimizing any noise. The greatest amount of "noise" I've ever heard in and around an installed mitigation kit could be described as a clothes drying machine running through a closed door IMO.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:52 AM

kww:
so the motor is outside. Does that ruin sitting outside on the patio?

All, grateful for your additional thoughts:

does or does not opening window bring the radon levels down?

Can the mitigation be safely turned off for few hours a week, if I have people over and we're sitting on the patio? I guess some people who work long hours at work might consider turning it off when they get back home since it takes 12 hours for radon to creep back.

If you install a mitigation system and reduce radon level below EPA, do you have to have it in your discolure

Old 01-10-2016, 07:03 AM

28 posts, read 31,691 times
Hey Bachissimo........butting in here again, after my original post got deleted by the moderator.... I agree with kww entirely, and in fact her estimation of the noise created by the system may even be a little high. They're really quiet, and no, you would not have to turn it off if you were entertaining outdoors. Every single one I've seen in 25+ years of being a Realtor has been very quiet. If it were my house, I would probably never turn it off. For me anyway, it's too easy for me to forget I've done such a thing, and next thing you know...............you know?

As to the disclosure question, the short answer is no. However, be aware that 1) the systems are fairly obvious, particularly on the exterior of the home/building, and 2) it should be (in my humble) described/portrayed as an asset, a good thing to any potential purchase.....because it is! You're basically saying, 'hey, we or someone before us, found a problem and had it professionally and permanently taken care of.'

Hope that helps.........

Old 01-10-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachissimo View Post
kww:
so the motor is outside. Does that ruin sitting outside on the patio?

All, grateful for your additional thoughts:

does or does not opening window bring the radon levels down?

Can the mitigation be safely turned off for few hours a week, if I have people over and we're sitting on the patio? I guess some people who work long hours at work might consider turning it off when they get back home since it takes 12 hours for radon to creep back.

If you install a mitigation system and reduce radon level below EPA, do you have to have it in your discolure
motor is not always outside, but should be (from what numerous inspectors/radon installers have said over the years.

Opening a window/door in basement/lower level should lower a radon level (which is why some sellers might 'accidentally' do that when the radon test is occurring).

No need for disclosure on it in my opinion. Not a bad idea to have the test done even if you see a kit installed and working.

If you buy a house with a kit installed, have the below added if not already there. It will help in the future if the motor were to shut off inadvertently and not come back on, or should the vacuum lose pressure

Old 01-10-2016, 08:04 AM

also keep in mind that the motor will eventually need replacing. assume $200-300 for that, plus labor

Old 01-10-2016, 01:39 PM

sorry for butting again. But it seems like there is something I got confused about. If the mitigation system is trying to create a different pressure between the house and the ground (I am assuming positive pressure inside), then does that mean that opening the windows will be self-defeating and might reduce the efficacy of the system?

Maybe I misunderstood, and the system only affects the pressure of the space right below the basement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia