Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 06:54 AM

4 posts, read 4,855 times

Advertisements

I looked up some housing in Leesburg, and I also have looked up apartments at Village of Potomac Falls in Sterling.

My daily commute will be to George Washington University campus in Ashburn, VA.
I will have to travel to Foggy Bottom once a week though, but I won't need to be there until or after 10am.
I also have a dog and may need to drop him off for daycare (at times) while i am staying in DC late.

Need advice where to live to minimize the traffic commute.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 06:05 PM

74 posts, read 82,265 times
Some of my answer would probably depend on what you like to do for fun. If it were me I would opt for Reston, Herndon or Sterling. Leesburg can be really off the beaten path depending where you need to go. There is lots to do in the Reston and Tysons Corner areas.

If you give me more info, I may be able to be of better assistance.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:09 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,660,448 times
I would either do Ashburn or Sterling. I know that Ashburn has a bus that goes either to the silver line in Reston, or goes directly into DC on weekdays.

Leesburg is a bit too far out, IMO. Especially if you want to head to DC once a week.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:55 PM

22,539 posts, read 12,111,709 times
If you choose Sterling, be careful about researching the particular area that interests you. Some areas are better than others.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:58 PM

989 posts, read 2,862,377 times
There are apartments right by the GW campus in Ashburn. I can't remember what they are called but they are up the hill across from the Chick Fil A. There are dog walkers that can come to your place if you're running late.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 AM

Thank you. My options are at Sycamore Hill in north west Leesburg next to 773 Riverside Parkway. Thinking that the riversie parkway wouldn't be as bad around 8am and trip shouldn't take more than 25 mins to Gwu in Ashburn. Otherwise another option I have is at McDowell Squarre also by the riverside parkway and is 3miles closer.

The weekly commute to DC will be only at first then occasionally or as needed. Was thinking of just doing battlefield parkway to 267 and then about an hour starting around 8:30am?

I'm a homebody and if going out for fun would mostly just want to go on motorcycle trips through the country. Also getting into metal detecting for coins and old memorabilia. It's also somewhat important to be close to dog parks or open spaces to hike with dog.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:09 AM

989 posts, read 2,862,377 times
There is a dog park in Leesburg. If you like to ride motorcycles and go metal detecting I think you are very smart to live west of work toward the more rural portions of the area. Off Riverside to the Ashburn GW campus shouldn't take long. For your commute to DC, you could try saving the Greenway toll by taking Route 7 to Route 28 south to the Dulles toll road and see how long that takes. If you can commute to DC on a Monday or Friday you will save considerable time since those are the most popular telecommute days and traffic is lighter.

If you take your motorcycle to work, you can use the HOV lanes on the Dulles toll road and you would be eligible to drive inside the beltway on Route 66 during HOV time. If you will be commuting by bike I'd recommend that you go in a earlier than 8:30 to take advantage of the HOV lanes.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:43 AM

Thank you, great suggestions. What's the toll difference between Leesburg and Route 28 ?

Old 02-28-2016, 09:48 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcuiftay View Post
Thank you, great suggestions. What's the toll difference between Leesburg and Route 28 ?
$5.25 each way.....but also a significant amount of time saved at 8:30.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:20 PM

313 posts, read 553,315 times
OP,

I'd suggest moving to Reston or Sterling. Any money saved in rent will be applied towards your toll fees and add in the aggravation of time spent...I just think the cost is much greater living further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia