Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 06:01 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,115,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEL123 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the input but looking at my budget limitation where would be the location that you could suggest to us beside Fairfax and Woodbridge that has a good public school.
Is renting an option? How long do you think you'll be working at that location (gov job, 3 years and out?)?

I agree with comments of budget of $300k max. Depending on your hours and willingness to travel, you could live farther south even near Stafford and VRE (train) into DC then quick metro hop. You could find a decent neighborhood with a 3 bdm/2bath with a basement. The travel subsidy for government went UP this year so out of pocket for a monthly VRE pass is affordable.

To give an example of crazy DC housing, a fixer upper in a desirable neighborhood recently made news for going $35k over appraisal in a bidding war just to buy that space. A distant buyer who may want to mull over house selections is sometimes at a disadvantage. Not all neighborhood are of course wild shopping speculators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 09:30 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,462,605 times
Only two 3 BR homes on the market for under $300K in the entire 22015 (Burke) zip code, FWIW.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:35 PM

74 posts, read 81,970 times
There are options out there for your budget - mostly townhouses, but I see them every day. You could consider parts of Lake Ridge, Centreville, Herndon, Springfield and Burke. (And I actually think townhouses give you a pretty good bang for your buck.) However commuting to DC can be challenge from most locations outside of the beltway but between slug lines, VRE, Metro and buses there are ways to get around. There are a lot of nice family friendly communities around. I'd be happy to chat with you about them if you wish.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:22 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,898,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Only two 3 BR homes on the market for under $300K in the entire 22015 (Burke) zip code, FWIW.
this. one of which has a healthy condo fee that brings the monthly payment up to the equiv of a $335K property.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
You need to reset your expectations. You're not going to be able to walk to a Metro station with that budget.

Your best bet would be to probably find something in the Woodbridge area and take a bus downtown. There are tons of buses between Metro Center and Woodbridge and include free parking at the park & ride lot: OmniRide and Metro Direct Schedules/06.

Don't worry about the safety of the bus. It's very safe and there are a lot of professionals on them.
tend to agree. or atleast try and time commute to springfield and metro in

Old 03-01-2016, 11:53 AM

12 posts, read 14,926 times
In the $300k range, you're assuredly looking at a townhouse. Stay in Springfield (22153). Use zillow and perform a search, a few options will show up. From this area, you'll have access to Franconia Metro (about 12 mins away), plus 45 mins to DC on metro. About an hour door-to-door. You can also look at slug lines from here. You can pickup a few slugs and drive, about ~30 mins to DC. Great (if not best) schools in the area. Perhaps you can rent for a few months before pulling the trigger on a purchase. Burke is nice with the VRE close by, but it runs on schedule and if you need to stay late in DC, you'll have to find alternate travel back. Most other areas that you listed will need a car. Woodbridge forgetit. My understanding is public trans is somewhat limited and traffic going south is a nightmare.
Good luck and ask more questions if necessary.
e

Old 03-01-2016, 12:29 PM

526 posts, read 902,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock139 View Post
In the $300k range, you're assuredly looking at a townhouse. Stay in Springfield (22153). Use zillow and perform a search, a few options will show up. From this area, you'll have access to Franconia Metro (about 12 mins away), plus 45 mins to DC on metro. About an hour door-to-door. You can also look at slug lines from here. You can pickup a few slugs and drive, about ~30 mins to DC. Great (if not best) schools in the area. Perhaps you can rent for a few months before pulling the trigger on a purchase. Burke is nice with the VRE close by, but it runs on schedule and if you need to stay late in DC, you'll have to find alternate travel back. Most other areas that you listed will need a car. Woodbridge forgetit. My understanding is public trans is somewhat limited and traffic going south is a nightmare.
Good luck and ask more questions if necessary.
e
Agree with this, but also include zip code 22152.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:40 PM

springfield townhomes are going to be $325,000+ for 3 bed

Old 03-01-2016, 04:15 PM

92 posts, read 154,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEL123 View Post
Thanks Gomason but taking Omniride is gonna be a long ride at least an hour on road.

Thanks again HomesForALLVA, Burke and Springfield are being considered as well.
Hello - I take the PRT bus from Horner Rd in Woodbridge to within a block of the White House. I work from 6:00am to 3:30pm so I miss some traffic..but the bus ride is about 30 mins in the morning and about 35 or so in the afternoon.

From Horner Rd you can also slug or vanpool.

Not a bad commute at all.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:17 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,685,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock139 View Post
Woodbridge forgetit. My understanding is public trans is somewhat limited and traffic going south is a nightmare.

e
In this poster's price range, he/she can't forgetit. Some people just can't afford Fairfax County. Woodbridge is quite doable with earlier hours and ride sharing. My commute is about 35-40 minutes each way (of course, not as a solo driver).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia