Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 03:14 PM

313 posts, read 553,114 times

Advertisements

OP,

If you're looking for affordable housing and within an hour of DC, go West and not South as the other posters are suggesting. I made the mistake of getting on 95S off the beltway during the morning commute and decided to turn around using 95N. Never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 03:23 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,705,490 times
Just don't think that I66 will be your savior. It won't.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 5,909 times
I have a job opportunity there. So it's still up in the air. But yes I'll stay west of the belt for sure. So 95 would be my main route. But keep in mind I see different job sites so there are miscellaneous variables.

Housing prices in Spotsylvania and some in Fredericksburg are in my range.

I really appreciate all of your comments :-)

Old 03-01-2016, 09:52 AM

6,585 posts, read 8,454,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intellitech View Post
I have a job opportunity there. So it's still up in the air. But yes I'll stay west of the belt for sure. So 95 would be my main route. But keep in mind I see different job sites so there are miscellaneous variables.

Housing prices in Spotsylvania and some in Fredericksburg are in my range.

I really appreciate all of your comments :-)
If 95 is your main route, then you should be south of the beltway - not west.

During rush hours, an hour from Alexandria is going to be the Woodbridge area. During non-rush hours, I have driven from Alexandria to Fredericksburg in 45 minutes. And ChristineVA is totally right when she says 95S on a Friday afternoon during the summer months will crush your soul.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:39 PM

10 posts, read 7,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intellitech View Post
I might be taking a job in Alexandria. But will look to live an hour or so outside of the belt, Washington DC area. I'm a service tech and would service customers in that area and a 50 mile radius out from DC.

Just curious how the travel is from let's say Fredericksburg to the DC round about area if I start work in that area at 6:00am?
My husband used to live in Fredericksburg and worked in DC. The traffic almost killed him even if he left at 5am or earlier. I visited a customer in Alexandria in 2014 and left there at 4pm. It took me 3 hours to get to Fredericksburg

Old 03-02-2016, 12:18 PM

857 posts, read 849,444 times
Fredericksburg to DC would be rough. I used to do F'burg to Quantico for a while and it just became unbearable. Although there are guaranteed times when 95 will be crappy (e.g., Friday afternoon southbound, morning rush, etc.), it can be 10 am on a Saturday and 95 is jammed in both directions. Personally, I would never consider that commute having done half the distance before.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:25 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,632,246 times
What is your 50-mile work radius center point? If that means you'll be working in Maryland north of the Beltway as well,then you may want to consider if the job is paying enough for you to take it to make up for the commuting time lost. If you can park the company vehicle close to a VRE station that's inside the Beltway (with permission from the various powers that be), then VRE to say the station on Backlick/Hechinger Drive and commuting from there might make it less-than-hellish.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:57 AM

359 posts, read 478,113 times
I do the commute every day from Fredericksbug to DC. It sucks, but it is doable. Weezy has a very good idea. Stash your company vehicle at a VRE station (Springfield maybe) and then take VRE back and forth from Fredericksburg to there if you can.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:27 PM

25 posts, read 46,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Fredericksburg to DC would be rough. I used to do F'burg to Quantico for a while and it just became unbearable. Although there are guaranteed times when 95 will be crappy (e.g., Friday afternoon southbound, morning rush, etc.), it can be 10 am on a Saturday and 95 is jammed in both directions. Personally, I would never consider that commute having done half the distance before.
This.

Hubby works in Alexandria and with no traffic can make it from Stafford in 45-50 minutes. The wind blows wrong and it's hours of traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia