Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:36 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,787,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Forcing people to pass on the right is dangerous.
But, assuming the person in the left lane is going the speed limit or above, no one is really forcing anyone to do anything. The driver passing in the right lane is choosing to either exceed the speed limit or, what I find to more often be the case, exceed it by a greater amount than the person in the left lane. A driver does have a legal duty to move to the right and allow faster drivers pass on the left, but all drivers have a legal duty not to exceed the speed limit. Is one legal duty greater than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 06:57 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,044,267 times
The cop was being a jerk.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:22 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
The cop was being a jerk.
This

Old 03-15-2016, 11:42 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,857,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Virginia vehicle code almost never distinguished between a city street and what you would call a highway. For law purposes, a highway is just about any roadway within the state, as defined below:

"Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel in the Commonwealth, including the streets and alleys, and, for law-enforcementpurposes, (i) the entire width between the boundary lines of all private roads or private streets that have been specifically designated "highways"by an ordinance adopted by the governing body of the county, city, or town in which such private roads or streets are located and (ii) the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place used for purposes of vehicular travel on any property owned, leased, or controlled by the United States government and located in the Commonwealth.
That's silly if there is not distinction between them. There's all kinds of reasons to be in the left lane of a city street. On a highway there are fewer reasons to be there. They are not the same regardless of what the law says.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:19 PM

526 posts, read 902,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's silly if there is not distinction between them. There's all kinds of reasons to be in the left lane of a city street. On a highway there are fewer reasons to be there. They are not the same regardless of what the law says.
I agree. There's no expectation that the left lane is a passing lane on a city street. The whole idea of a reserved lane for passing only makes sense if it's a limited access road. On city streets you have people turning on and off the streets and cross streets, from parking lots, from driveways...

Old 03-15-2016, 12:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,888 times
Plus on highways typically the exits are on the right. So it's easy to remain in the right lane except to pass. Not so on city streets.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:59 PM

855 posts, read 625,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Seems to me the OP had a perfectly good reason to be in the left lane. He was going to be making a left hand turn very shortly.
This.

I've been in situations where I remain in the right
lane until I get closer to where I need to make a left
turn, only to have whoever's already in the left lane
refuse to let me enter the left lane when I need to do
so. Some will even speed up to cut me off so that I
can't get over.

As a result, I now claim a spot in the left lane as soon
as I can and stay there until I make my left turn. It
may cause heartache, but until drivers are more
considerate in this scenario, I see no alternative.
No point in me being punished for doing the "right" thing
(pardon the pun) and missing the turn.

It shouldn't be an issue too much longer; I hope to be
car-free in the not-to-distant future.

-

Old 04-02-2016, 08:17 PM

18 posts, read 13,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
A driver does have a legal duty to move to the right and allow faster drivers pass on the left, but all drivers have a legal duty not to exceed the speed limit. Is one legal duty greater than the other?
I can't tell you how many times I have heard this debate/argument.
The fact remains the same... legally... 4mph over (or below) the posted limit is a violation.

The left lane is not a personal race track as many seem to believe. I've seen kids with window stickers written in reverse that read "Move Over" when viewed in the rear view mirror.

Regardless... Ride my ass or flash those lights at me and you WILL be late for work.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,338,793 times
§ 46.2-804. Special regulations applicable on highways laned for traffic

“…1. Any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, shall be driven in the lane nearest the right edge or right curb of the highway when such lane is available for travel except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or where right lanes are reserved for slow-moving traffic as permitted in this section;…”

§ 46.2-842.1
Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action.

Wouldn't a flash of the headlight be considered a light signal?

https://vacode.org/46.2-842.1/

Old 04-03-2016, 07:14 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,162,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
§ 46.2-804. Special regulations applicable on highways laned for traffic

“…1. Any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, shall be driven in the lane nearest the right edge or right curb of the highway when such lane is available for travel except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or where right lanes are reserved for slow-moving traffic as permitted in this section;…”

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleetuss View Post
I can't tell you how many times I have heard this debate/argument.
The fact remains the same... legally... 4mph over (or below) the posted limit is a violation.
Please note the law states "normal speed of traffic"; not "legal speed limit".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleetuss View Post
Regardless... Ride my ass or flash those lights at me and you WILL be late for work.
My father received a ticket for failure to yield right for a "speeding" (maybe 5-7 miles over the limit) car. He fought it, and lost.

The officer indicated that the normal traffic on that road generally traveled 5-10 mph over the limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia