Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:15 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartachick View Post
My family will be relocating this summer. We've seen areas of Ashburn that look amazing and are within our budget (600K). However, a few people have mentioned that Ashburn has a reputation for having a Stepford Wife/ hoity toity air about it. I don't mean to offend anyone who lives there by any means!! I'm honestly just asking for feedback. These same friends have recommended South Riding/Chantilly as a good alternative and said they were very happy with the area. Ashburn seems to be well planned with so many amentities...and I don't know if the other communities would compare. Does anyone have any feedback? I have 3 kids so schools are important as well. Thank you!
All of Northern Virginia is Stepford Wife territory. I don't see any reason why Ashburn would be any different from anywhere else. We live in Fairfax and I am surrounded by southern homemaker robots, and before that I found the same in Kingstowne. I would not let such things influence my decision about where to buy - I just don't think you will find any difference unless you buy in a more urban center, like downtown Vienna or Old Town or someplace like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 01:18 PM

64 posts, read 100,796 times
I think a lot of folks in Ashburn are very house proud and just like Mrs. Bucket in 'Keeping Up Appearances'. I lived in South Riding before, but the commute to the Tysons area from there would be absolutely horrid. Brambleton is the newer area in Ashburn and there are some massive houses. South Riding has more of an Indian/Sikh population overall and all my neighbors were friendly for the most part. Looking back I would have chosen a different area of South Riding than where I was.

The issue I had in Ashburn is drivers ignore the traffic signals MORE than other places and speed horridly. There are many police reports of children being hit by drivers, even though they had the pedestrian right-of-way.

I looked in Ashburn at houses last time and the yards were way too small for the price and size of the house. I could get a bigger house in Kings Park West or further in to Fairfax with a bigger yard. I would tell you to look into the Franklin Farm area for that price. It's a cheaper hop on the Toll Road (after 28) and closer to many amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia