Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,902,960 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a condo where i need to install some ceiling fans. Any rough idea on labor for that? Any electricians you like? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 12:22 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,117,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I'm looking at a condo where i need to install some ceiling fans. Any rough idea on labor for that? Any electricians you like? Thanks!
I had four replaced at one time and bought the fans/ light ahead of time and I recall some haggling with the electrician but it was $100 per ceiling fan/ light and that included taking off the old one. These were not expensive fans/ lights but they were all the same. The electrician had some challenges on a couple of them with craftsmen issues as I heard some 4 letter words. I'm guessing it took 8 hours total.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:33 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,505,374 times
The cost would be different for replace vs. install new, where there wasn't one before.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:17 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,267,635 times
Is the room already wired? Meaning is there already light fixtures in place or will wire need to be run to each room? This will add quite a bit to the cost if necessary. If it's already wired then I would think you could find someone at around $50 per light.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:53 AM

4,614 posts, read 6,402,081 times
If there is a light fixture already there (indicating a ceiling electrical junction box is also there), the junction box itself may not have been installed to accept the additional weight of a ceiling fan. Adding a junction box and/or framing to accommodate a ceiling fan vs a light fixture could increase labor required for the installation.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-21-2016, 04:01 PM

57 posts, read 68,446 times
Interesting this is posted, as I have been putting off buying a new ceiling fan for my bedroom, as finding people to do work around here (from sites like Thumbtack) have been trying. But, I received a quote today form a local electrician of $147. This is to remove/install a ceiling fan - obviously the wiring is already there.

That seems a bit high to me, but I've never had this type of work done before, and electricity scares the crap out of me - so in that sense, maybe it is well worth it? Anyway, I'm sure your situation is different, as it sounds like you need them all wired/installed - and maybe multiple fixtures will bring a discount?

Old 03-22-2016, 06:25 AM

17 posts, read 15,825 times
If the fixture is already there (as in, there has been a ceiling fan hanging there before) it would be rather simple, and a regular joe and hang the fan there him/herself. Paying $100 is absurd In my opinion. I have no experience with electricity, and I've hung 2 fans before.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:53 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,117,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytheman View Post
If the fixture is already there (as in, there has been a ceiling fan hanging there before) it would be rather simple, and a regular joe and hang the fan there him/herself. Paying $100 is absurd In my opinion. I have no experience with electricity, and I've hung 2 fans before.
I agree that $100 per fan is ridiculous and that's the welcome factor to the DC area. Everything costs double what it would cost somewhere else. The $100 includes removal and install. I've installed ceiling fans numerous times to include a 22 foot high fan but I was trying to turn this house quickly and had other projects that were urgent.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:20 AM

17 posts, read 15,825 times
If you think about it, a man who's professional, and experienced - he'll walk in there and change your fan's out in 30 minutes. You've basically paid him a $200/hr wage. Not happenin

Old 03-22-2016, 04:42 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,687,366 times
My husband is an electrician and when he used to do stuff like that on the side, he'd charge about $150 per fan if a fan had never been there before. It involved him crawling up in attics usually and he felt it was yucky work and, in general, people just became pains in the butt. I don't think he ever did a straight replacement. It's pretty dead simple, but I understand the fear of electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia