Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:18 AM

53 posts, read 82,070 times

Advertisements

I don't know about legality, but I do know that our our previous neighbors had an in-ground pool years ago and simply filled it in. Our current neighbors have had all sorts of drainage and landscaping issues associated with the old pool ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 07:31 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,586,353 times
That's not surprising about your neighbor having all sorts of issues now. Filing in an existing pool with dirt, is like filling up a bucket with dirt and setting outside in the rain. The water has to have the ability to filter down deep to the natural water table to keep the foundation stable, or a sump pump type setup (like in your basements). Under your house is an area where rain water that is flowing down the side of your house is collected in. It all flows into an area where a sump pump is installed, and ejects the water out into the storm water drains. Filling in a pool with dirt, is like a basement with no sump pump.

Only thing worse than a worn out pool, is one that was not properly disposed of.

I think your decision should also be based on your neighborhood and your house. Not knowing either, if you're in an area where a pool might be more common in general, then I'd likely repair it and get it back to par for the sale. If you're the only one with a pool, or if your pool is the dominate factor of your house, then I'd say have it removed properly.

Or, negotiate in your sales contract that you'll have it removed post-closing. This would allow you to use sale proceeds from the transaction to pay for it, and you can "spin" it to where the buyer would actually have the ability to make sure it was done correctly. They might even like that idea because then they could figure out if they want to add new hardscape where your pool is now during the process (on their dime of course). Basically, disclose early and up front that you'll have the pool removed if the buyer wants it removed. Or, repair it, or leave it. Money from the sale will be put into escrow at closing to handle the cost. Just an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: