Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 10:25 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,482,435 times

Advertisements

Has anyone in Fairfax/Loudoun area collapsed a swimming pool?

Can you suggest companies? Tell me the price? Discuss if it was a positive when selling the house?

We have adored our pool but it's getting close to 30 years old and needs extensive work before we list the house. We are debating revitalizing vs. collapsing and would love feedback.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 02:25 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,289,939 times
I can only say that when we were looking at houses we bypassed any with an above ground pool. Our agent said very few of her clients would look at a listing with an AGP. Not sure where you can find a company that does this.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:46 PM

18 posts, read 13,800 times
Its not difficult to do on your own. Drain it with a garden hose over time . It will be a slow controlled drain and will not draw attention.

You can re-cycle the pool itself as scrap. Get some money back rather than pay someone to do the work and them let them profit on the scrap.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:16 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,482,435 times
Thanks for the ideas.

Draining it with hose sounds intriguing but without the weight of 30,000 gallons of water, a pool can actually pop out of the ground and create a lot more problems.

This in an in-ground pool. We talked to our regular maintainence person but he doesn't do construction. His recommended person was very expensive.

Hoping someone on here has experience and can recommend a companies so I can get at least two or three more estimates.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:08 AM

18 posts, read 13,800 times
Sorry. . I though it was above ground.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:40 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,016,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Thanks for the ideas.

Draining it with hose sounds intriguing but without the weight of 30,000 gallons of water, a pool can actually pop out of the ground and create a lot more problems.

This in an in-ground pool. We talked to our regular maintainence person but he doesn't do construction. His recommended person was very expensive.

Hoping someone on here has experience and can recommend a companies so I can get at least two or three more estimates.
We had one completely removed. If you don't remove it completely (I'm not sure what "collapse" means) then you have to disclose to the buyer and it might be a negative. However, the removal cost a fortune and may have contributed to some foundation damage to our home (backfilling). I would recommend revitalizing just enough to make it functional, but perhaps not the cosmetic aspects. I wish we had done that, but there are so few companies around here that work on pools that we just couldn't find anyone to do basic work on the pool without charging a fortune and trying to upsell to the point where it was cost prohibitive.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleetuss View Post
Sorry. . I though it was above ground.
Same here.

Knowing it's an in-ground I would leave it and do only the work that needs to be done. Unless even the minimum is too much. We did find one house with a nice yard and very nice in-ground we really liked online but the inside was a mess. We weren't necessarily looking for a pool but we knew our grandson would have a blast with one. Not a lot of pools out here in Shenandoah though from what I see.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:52 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,702,869 times
I'm always on the lookout for investment properties, but I won't even consider a house with a pool.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:56 AM

But there are people who want one.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:06 AM

462 posts, read 1,213,740 times
We bought a house last year with a pool. Weren't in the market for a pool but the house trumped the pool. Pool needed work so we were at a cross road.....do we collapse or replaster. Was told roughly 11-13k to remove and it is a fairly big pool. We decided to replaster, which was just done last week as a matter of fact. Still have yet to see how much we will use the pool as we didn't use it last year because it was nasty. Do know I enjoy looking at it!

Millennium Pools did our work and believe they are also the ones who gave us the rough estimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: