Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:43 PM

40 posts, read 58,444 times

Advertisements

LO9620147 In Exeter is a little nicer. What is the Lake Anne area you are referring to? Is that a particular neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 03:44 PM

2,092 posts, read 4,260,728 times
Both of these are now under contract. Looks like you have to move fast in this price range.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:45 PM

2,092 posts, read 4,260,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natyloo View Post
What is the Lake Anne area you are referring to? Is that a particular neighborhood?
A neighborhood in Reston - where Reston got started in the 60's.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...efd1ea7d?hl=en

Old 04-10-2016, 04:10 PM

I should also add that both of us work & I work in Leesburg...

Old 04-10-2016, 04:11 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm not a fan of ranchers or split levels at all. The house in Exeter was decent out of all of them above. Of course, it might look different/better in person than online. What about Woodlea Manor? I didn't think it was an excessive commute from Reston, even during peak times. I'm not against Reston, but just haven't found anything that fits my tastes/price range. Honestly, if I could get something great for just 500-550, I wouldn't want to spend the extra 100k. By the way, I have 4 kids, so I'm looking for 4-5 bdrms. And, really need great schools ... I don't mind a commute as much as I mind crappy educational programs. (Great schools: excellent teachers/admin, honors programs, decent school spirit/sports teams)

Thx again for all of the input.
Woodlea Manor appears to be a very nice, lived-in community. The person I know who lives there seems to be pretty happy with it. I can't speak to schools, but a super easy trip to the Greenway. Taking that and the Toll Road, likely looking at 20-25 minutes, assuming your Reston office is right off the Toll Road.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:12 PM

And yes, I often feel that everything nice in our price range sold "yesterday"

Old 04-10-2016, 04:33 PM

239 posts, read 282,628 times
Quote:
LO9620147 In Exeter is a little nicer. What is the Lake Anne area you are referring to? Is that a particular neighborhood?
Oh is that the house you're looking for? That lot is 1/4 acre and it looks like the developer built right up to the allowed setback, which means the side of the house is likely continuous vinyl siding with no windows. I was just in that neighborhood the other day and got completely lost because every corner looked the same, kinda like ashburn.

I think some of the newer areas south of the bypass near evergreen mill might be more suitable for you. Larger lots, newer houses and "better" schools.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:41 PM

@blindside thanks! No, I don't love the Exeter home, I was just making the comparison between the other Exeter house someone posted. I really liked the feel of Woodlea manor. I'll take a look near Evergreen Mill. I guess Loudoun County HS is a "better" school? Online reviews of Tuscarora are so mixed it's difficult to tell if it's good or bad.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:56 PM

239 posts, read 282,628 times
My kids aren't in high school yet. But this is loudoun county and I'd be hard pressed to find a truly underperforming school. You should keep in mind that LCPS believes in busing kids around for socioeconomic balancing (us in central loudoun had an interesting rezoning just this spring at the elementary schools). As the areas you are looking at are still expanding, understand that your school may change. Most of school board believes changing schools in the middle of HS is not good so you should be OK.

Woodlea MAnor (View image: image) ? Looks just like many other new developments around here. Unremarkable, but probably very safe and similar. From the overhead view it looks a little cramped to me. And those homes I've pictured seem to have been built up right to the property line, so you have a large wall with no windows. Make sure you get one positioned right, because your home is almost like a townhouse, Windows in the front and the back only.

But this looks like a great location for commuting into leesburg and Reston.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:21 PM

Thx @blindside! Your picture does no justice to Woodlea Manor, though. I'm very picky, and it definitely has a ton of character in person. Sure, the lots aren't huge, but in my price range I'm a bit hard pressed to find something larger. If you know of any neighborhoods I might be missing that would be nicer, please let me know. I'm open to suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: