Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:30 PM

9,895 posts, read 14,188,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natyloo View Post
Thx @blindside! Your picture does no justice to Woodlea Manor, though. I'm very picky, and it definitely has a ton of character in person. .
I agree with this. In person, Woodlea Manor appears to be spacious lots with lots of trees and houses of different, yet complementary, architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:56 PM

40 posts, read 58,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I agree with this. In person, Woodlea Manor appears to be spacious lots with lots of trees and houses of different, yet complementary, architecture.
Definitely. �� Spencgr, do you have any specific suggestions for similarly attractive neighborhoods in Leesburg?

Old 04-12-2016, 09:05 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,580,428 times
With wanting Leesburg in general, and the ability to use the Greenway without hesitation, I'd also look to the immediate east and north of Leesburg proper too, just to make sure you're not missing something that you might like. Landsdowne is one area that you might find interesting. It's on the northern side of Route 7 and east of Leesburg by about 2 or 3 miles. Still easy access to the Greenway too, but granted not immediate like Woodlea Manor. Or, just north of Leesburg on Rte. 15 bypass. Like Rasberry Falls area. Not sure on prices, but seems like good deals in that area exist for some stunning homes/settings.

But, I like Woodlea Manor too, and agree, it has a real charm to it. It's actually the first neighborhood I looked at myself back in 2011 when moving to the area from Chicago. My price range was the same as yours. We ended up in the Brambleton area though about 10 miles east, which at that time, that price range worked for Brambleton on a SFH with 4,000 SF. Now, not as much.

But, my only word of caution to Woodlea Manor, isn't the neighborhood itself, but what's going on around it. Rte 15 is the outward boundary line for the residential developers, and you can tell it has been that way for over a decade. Last boom time (04-07), you can see if you drive down it, infrastructure was put in place with anticipation of mass development opportunities on that whole stretch, from Rte. 50 up to Woodlea Manor. Two "round abouts" exist, with no real purpose other than "some day" traffic expectations. Now, you can start to see them working on Rte. 15 again, and this time it's right at the entrance of Woodlea Manor. If you buy in there, you need to do so with the expectation that at some point in the future, the areas that immediately surround the neighborhood are likely to become future residential neighborhoods as well, and not necessarily the serene country setting that exists now. Being so close to the Greenway, it's impossible to tell when that will likely happen. Could be in 10 years, or 1 year. Just can't tell.

We bought new construction in 2011. After 4 years of listening to construction activity, and at least another 5 years more being planned for the immediate area around that neighborhood, we threw in the towel last fall and moved to an established area in Leesburg that will never have construction activity like that again. Some say we were nuts to trade a 4 year old home that was in perfect condition and fully set up with all the bells and whistles that we wanted, for a 15 year old home that needs everything redone. But we did, and have been much happier ever since, even though we've been playing "contractor bingo" for the past 6 months.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:23 AM

9,895 posts, read 14,188,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Two "round abouts" exist, with no real purpose other than "some day" traffic expectations. Now, you can start to see them working on Rte. 15 again, and this time it's right at the entrance of Woodlea Manor. If you buy in there, you need to do so with the expectation that at some point in the future, the areas that immediately surround the neighborhood are likely to become future residential neighborhoods as well, and not necessarily the serene country setting that exists now. Being so close to the Greenway, it's impossible to tell when that will likely happen. Could be in 10 years, or 1 year. Just can't tell.

What roundabout are you referring to? The ones on Rt 15, at the intersection of Rt 50? They certainly were put in place for current traffic, not anticipated traffic. And they work.

Also, on that west side of 15, current Loudoun zoning laws prohibit dividing land under (I don't know the exact size) multiple acres per house. While development could certainly(and will likely) still happen, it will still appear very rural.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:08 PM

40 posts, read 58,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
With wanting Leesburg in general, and the ability to use the Greenway without hesitation, I'd also look to the immediate east and north of Leesburg proper too, just to make sure you're not missing something that you might like. Landsdowne is one area that you might find interesting. It's on the northern side of Route 7 and east of Leesburg by about 2 or 3 miles. Still easy access to the Greenway too, but granted not immediate like Woodlea Manor. Or, just north of Leesburg on Rte. 15 bypass. Like Rasberry Falls area. Not sure on prices, but seems like good deals in that area exist for some stunning homes/settings.

But, I like Woodlea Manor too, and agree, it has a real charm to it. It's actually the first neighborhood I looked at myself back in 2011 when moving to the area from Chicago. My price range was the same as yours. We ended up in the Brambleton area though about 10 miles east, which at that time, that price range worked for Brambleton on a SFH with 4,000 SF. Now, not as much.

But, my only word of caution to Woodlea Manor, isn't the neighborhood itself, but what's going on around it. Rte 15 is the outward boundary line for the residential developers, and you can tell it has been that way for over a decade. Last boom time (04-07), you can see if you drive down it, infrastructure was put in place with anticipation of mass development opportunities on that whole stretch, from Rte. 50 up to Woodlea Manor. Two "round abouts" exist, with no real purpose other than "some day" traffic expectations. Now, you can start to see them working on Rte. 15 again, and this time it's right at the entrance of Woodlea Manor. If you buy in there, you need to do so with the expectation that at some point in the future, the areas that immediately surround the neighborhood are likely to become future residential neighborhoods as well, and not necessarily the serene country setting that exists now. Being so close to the Greenway, it's impossible to tell when that will likely happen. Could be in 10 years, or 1 year. Just can't tell.

We bought new construction in 2011. After 4 years of listening to construction activity, and at least another 5 years more being planned for the immediate area around that neighborhood, we threw in the towel last fall and moved to an established area in Leesburg that will never have construction activity like that again. Some say we were nuts to trade a 4 year old home that was in perfect condition and fully set up with all the bells and whistles that we wanted, for a 15 year old home that needs everything redone. But we did, and have been much happier ever since, even though we've been playing "contractor bingo" for the past 6 months.

I was curious about Raspberry Falls. Haven't been there yet, but some previous listings have looked nice. Red Cedar is another that piqued my curiousity ... But seems to have some luxury homes & then your standard home, but all without wooded lots, or any character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: