Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,351 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying in South Reston and renting out a room or two, but my landlady is currently having a problem finding a tenant. She says it has never been this bad. She had the ad on cragslist for a month and only had one person visit the room. Same price as before.

Is it just her or is everyone else having the same problems finding tenants right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 04:51 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,982,401 times
Looking for roommates for a shared place is quite a bit different dynamic than a real home rental. The expectations of the parties involved can be totally different. Some landlords with shared places will only be happy if the renter is gone all the time, while others are looking for a new best friend to listen to their Prozac induced ramblings, or even FWB. I have no idea what "420 friendly" means, but I think it might have something to do with neo-nazis, because 04-20 is Hitler's Birthday. I did read that DC area office space, which there is a ton of in Reston, is at its highest vacancy rate since the 91 recession, which was also a bad job market. Other anecdotal evidence suggests that 70K+ per year IT jobs may no longer be as easy to get as a youth soccer trophy. That being stated, a clean piece of real estate that is fairly priced in NoVa, never stays vacant for long. I think that if you had a simple basement apartment, with a private entrance, for rent in a good neighborhood; the phone would be ringing off the hook, and you could price it as much as an apartment in the rental ghettos.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:47 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,166,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I have no idea what "420 friendly" means, but I think it might have something to do with neo-nazis, because 04-20 is Hitler's Birthday.
pretty sure "420 friendly" means "open to weed smoking"; and has nothing to do with NeoNazism.

Not sure why you brought it up, though.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:24 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,536,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
pretty sure "420 friendly" means "open to weed smoking"; and has nothing to do with NeoNazism.

Not sure why you brought it up, though.
Lmfao!!! This has to be the post of the year. "420-friendly means theyre neonazis." Who knew there are so many neonazis around here?

All I can add anecdotally is that it took my ex landlord like 6 weeks to find a new tenant off of Wilson Boulevard after I moved out. They were overcharging, but if it takes that long in Arlington, Id imagine it would be just as worse if not worse in Reston.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:27 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,685,905 times
Can't speak to Reston, but my daughter is in the midst of a search (just for a room in a group home or apartment) and the market is so "hot" they keep getting taken before she can get there. She has two "interviews" this week where I guess they will see if she is worthy. I guess DC has a different market than Reston.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:43 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,452,504 times
Your landlady may be overpriced, but Reston also isn't a hot spot for renters the way DC/Arlington is. Typically people who are looking for shared living/room rentals do so to live closer to the city and save a little money. If I have to live all the way out in the 'burbs' of Reston you better believe I'm making sure I find my own place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia