Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:11 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znfdcz View Post
Anyone else? More information? Anyone who currently does this commute? Thanks.
I'm curious and trying to help here along with a pro-Lake ridge vibe but when it comes to commute times, we only can provide estimates and I'd say these are accurate.

DC area commutes normally are calculated with time if driven at 2am. That's your base. From there, the times and days of travel add the misery factor of the DC commute. Some have this measured as an additional 5 min because they work 5am to 2pm. Others have an extra 30 min each way because they have more normal hours. There are too many variables and luck when trying to predict DC traffic patterns.

If you're living in northern Woodbridge, traveling earlier is better. If you work at630am vs 730, to the area you're working, that will probably save 15 min in the morning and even more in the afternoon commute. If you're stick at 730, you'll have to leave at 6 or 615 to guarantee to make it by730.

Also, guarantee is not really a real word. For important meetings, you plan a buffer. I've shown up45 min in advance because I couldn't be late. Nowhere else in the country do you arrive to meetings a half hour early only because of traffic. It's a reality and something that bothers some more than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 06:32 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Agreed.

The good thing is you aren't too far down Old Bridge, OP. The main roads in Woodbridge like Prince William Pkwy, Old Bridge Rd, Minnieville Rd all back up super bad during rush hour and adds additional times on your commute so being not too far down Old Bridge will save you lots of time.

There's no for sure sort of time guide. Some days may be better than others, some days may be awful. Unless you live 10 miles from your job, in this area it's always going to be a toss up.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 AM

32 posts, read 33,246 times
I would not look past Springfield if working in Suitland. Lake Ridge will be a long commute. Stay up north.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:06 AM

8 posts, read 9,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I'm curious and trying to help here along with a pro-Lake ridge vibe but when it comes to commute times, we only can provide estimates and I'd say these are accurate.

DC area commutes normally are calculated with time if driven at 2am. That's your base. From there, the times and days of travel add the misery factor of the DC commute. Some have this measured as an additional 5 min because they work 5am to 2pm. Others have an extra 30 min each way because they have more normal hours. There are too many variables and luck when trying to predict DC traffic patterns.

If you're living in northern Woodbridge, traveling earlier is better. If you work at630am vs 730, to the area you're working, that will probably save 15 min in the morning and even more in the afternoon commute. If you're stick at 730, you'll have to leave at 6 or 615 to guarantee to make it by730.

Also, guarantee is not really a real word. For important meetings, you plan a buffer. I've shown up45 min in advance because I couldn't be late. Nowhere else in the country do you arrive to meetings a half hour early only because of traffic. It's a reality and something that bothers some more than others.
Alright. So I'm basically trying to get an idea about it because i've never lived anywhere near there or in any place like it. (Traffic wise). So what I'm looking for is basically a max travel time (not calculating for a huge accident or something because obviously that would throw things off) So if I have to be at work at 730 then I shouldn't really ever have to leave before 6? is that close to a safe assumption? Also, thank you for giving numbers and examples, they help a lot more than "the commute sucks" because what may suck for one or some may not even matter to someone else.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:53 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znfdcz View Post
Alright. So I'm basically trying to get an idea about it because i've never lived anywhere near there or in any place like it. (Traffic wise). So what I'm looking for is basically a max travel time (not calculating for a huge accident or something because obviously that would throw things off) So if I have to be at work at 730 then I shouldn't really ever have to leave before 6? is that close to a safe assumption? Also, thank you for giving numbers and examples, they help a lot more than "the commute sucks" because what may suck for one or some may not even matter to someone else.
Leaving by 6 should be fine. In most places, if you experience the once a month disaster commute, the bosses know that living in the DC area has its nuances and don't blow gaskets.

Living along Old bridge road is one option in Lake Ridge but as others have advised, push to find a place closer to 95 vs farther. If your dream house is near old bridge rd and Hoadley rd, so be it but that extra 10 -15 min will need to adjust your planning.

When 95 is locked up with traffic, one benefit to Woodbridge area when going to the Maryland side is the option to take US 1 and then slide over to the nice GW parkway along the river. Then in Alexandria, you can catch the Woodrow Wilson bridge across the Potomac.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:42 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,387,833 times
I strongly recommend investing in an EZPass Flex as well. On bad days, you can use the express lanes. It requires paying a toll but on those days, I find it's totally worth it.

IMO, the afternoon commute is slower and much more frustrating but you won't have the added stress of being late for work.

I avoid Old Bridge as much as possible in the afternoons as it's heavily congested. Instead of getting off at 123 (Exit 160), I take 95 to the PW Pkwy (Exit 158) and take the PW Pkwy across town to connect with Old Bridge.

Whereas in the mornings, I do take Old Bridge to 123 and get on 95 at that point.

FWIW, I live in a neighborhood off Springwoods Drive. Been making this commute for 5 1/2 years, and I still have my sanity.

Last edited by HokieFan; 05-03-2016 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia