Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 12:03 AM

18 posts, read 19,152 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! Nothing is definitive yet, but I've applied for a job in Reston, VA. From what I understand, the job pays around $57,000 annually, give or take. Does that seem like enough to get by in that area? Maybe not specifically in Reston, but nearby enough to commute to work. I'd be looking to rent an apartment, nothing special. I'm single, so a studio or 1-bedroom is all I need. Any recommendations on apartment complexes would be great, too. I've been trying to use online calculators to figure out how much my monthly income would actually be, after taxes and other deductions, but they all vary pretty wildly. As for any extra expenses, I have a car, so about $340/mo. for that, add maybe $110/mo. for car insurance (I still need to check what my actual insurance would be there, I currently pay $110/mo.). I don't go out much, but eat take-out a lot at the moment because I can't really cook; I'll try to cut that out. So I don't need much after bills and everything, just enough for the occasional movie, book, or video game. The rest left over to save, maybe invest it somehow, that's all I really want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 03:46 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
You might be cutting it close, but it's doable. We had a poster on here a few years back that was making much less than that and lived/worked there and it was tough.

My daughter is in her first job post-college making $47,500. After taxes, 401K, she nets about $1200 per paycheck. $300 goes to a car payment. She is unable to find anything she can afford on her own and is looking into the group housing situation. You've got $10,000 more (gross) to play with (which is probably really about $8,000 after taxes.

In my opinion, I think you need to be making mid-60s to live on your own with some breathing room.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You might be cutting it close, but it's doable. We had a poster on here a few years back that was making much less than that and lived/worked there and it was tough.

My daughter is in her first job post-college making $47,500. After taxes, 401K, she nets about $1200 per paycheck. $300 goes to a car payment. She is unable to find anything she can afford on her own and is looking into the group housing situation. You've got $10,000 more (gross) to play with (which is probably really about $8,000 after taxes.

In my opinion, I think you need to be making mid-60s to live on your own with some breathing room.
Thank you for the reply! That's quite disappointing to hear. So, in my case, I suppose I should expect to make about $1500 per paycheck, or about $3000 per month. Minus maybe $2000 or $2100 in bills (rent (depending on where I go), car, car insurance, phone, internet), that leaves very little disposable income for saving up, and doesn't even include groceries and stuff. Like you said, doable, but just barely. After several years in military barracks, I can't do the roommate thing anymore, so not being able to afford my own apartment is a deal-breaker.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:58 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sval View Post
Thank you for the reply! That's quite disappointing to hear. So, in my case, I suppose I should expect to make about $1500 per paycheck, or about $3000 per month. Minus maybe $2000 or $2100 in bills (rent (depending on where I go), car, car insurance, phone, internet), that leaves very little disposable income for saving up, and doesn't even include groceries and stuff. Like you said, doable, but just barely. After several years in military barracks, I can't do the roommate thing anymore, so not being able to afford my own apartment is a deal-breaker.
It's a tough decision. I would look at your promotion potential in this job. I mean, it's one thing if it ends there and you see no way upward, but you may have to roommate for a bit. I understand not wanting to. My daughter feels a bit the same because she spent 4 years rooming in houses with about 3-4 other people and it gets old. But she's probably several years away from making in the $60K range and, in fact, her income will go down next year when she has to get off my health insurance and get her own. It's not likely she will have much a raise in income either. It's all very depressing.

Since the job is in Reston, you could look at lower cost of living places that aren't far from Reston such as Manassas or areas that are more west/farther out than Reston. You could get some much cheaper rent in those places such as around $1400 per month.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
It's a tough decision. I would look at your promotion potential in this job. I mean, it's one thing if it ends there and you see no way upward, but you may have to roommate for a bit. I understand not wanting to. My daughter feels a bit the same because she spent 4 years rooming in houses with about 3-4 other people and it gets old. But she's probably several years away from making in the $60K range and, in fact, her income will go down next year when she has to get off my health insurance and get her own. It's not likely she will have much a raise in income either. It's all very depressing.

Since the job is in Reston, you could look at lower cost of living places that aren't far from Reston such as Manassas or areas that are more west/farther out than Reston. You could get some much cheaper rent in those places such as around $1400 per month.
It is; and I hadn't even considered health insurance yet. Its a government contracting job, probably not much in the way of promotions, and the job security is likely not that great. Contract goes away for whatever reason, there may not be another one I can get on without moving. The rents I've been seeing online were maybe $1400 at their lowest in Reston, and the really nice ones were more $1500-$1600. A quick glance at Manassas looks like they're on average less than that. Rent is the key factor, the one bill I have the most control over; if I can get that low enough that not much more than 50% of my monthly income after taxes goes to bills, I'd be happy. Manassas seems to have an option at less than $1000 (Orchard Glen Apartments), and if I go even further away, there may be a couple more for less than $1100. Commuting may be the best way to handle living there if I get the job.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:11 AM

57 posts, read 68,323 times
Hi! And, good luck on the job!

I've made less than that while living in the same area. And, I know many people who make less than that currently and seem to be getting by fine. Yes, there are a lot of 6 figure salaries around here, but there are also a lot of us that aren't even close to that and manage to survive! (I even purchased a small condo, and have a mortgage less than market rental rates around here.)

My advice, for what it's worth, see about renting out someone's basement. Usually you can find them all inclusive, with separate entrances, and its own kitchen setup. When I moved back to the area, I found a place on CL for $650/mo. Sure, it was in Warrenton - but it helped me establish myself again. (Also, further out in Loudoun county, for example, a lot of farms have guest houses/cottages that they rent out.) Apartments end up being more expensive due to the additional amenities fees, and utilities, so if none of the above work, try looking for a privately owned small condo. It may not be brand new, or top of the line when it comes to updates, but you can find them for $1100-$1200 … and sometimes they include some of your utilities.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess73 View Post
Hi! And, good luck on the job!

I've made less than that while living in the same area. And, I know many people who make less than that currently and seem to be getting by fine. Yes, there are a lot of 6 figure salaries around here, but there are also a lot of us that aren't even close to that and manage to survive! (I even purchased a small condo, and have a mortgage less than market rental rates around here.)

My advice, for what it's worth, see about renting out someone's basement. Usually you can find them all inclusive, with separate entrances, and its own kitchen setup. When I moved back to the area, I found a place on CL for $650/mo. Sure, it was in Warrenton - but it helped me establish myself again. (Also, further out in Loudoun county, for example, a lot of farms have guest houses/cottages that they rent out.) Apartments end up being more expensive due to the additional amenities fees, and utilities, so if none of the above work, try looking for a privately owned small condo. It may not be brand new, or top of the line when it comes to updates, but you can find them for $1100-$1200 … and sometimes they include some of your utilities.

Thank you! Its not mine yet, it just seems like I've peaked their interest, so I'm preparing for a possible salary discussion by looking at the cost of living in the area. Warrenton seems a little bit of a commute from Reston, but doable. I honestly hadn't looked at CL for apartments, I'm so in the mindset of looking at apartment complex websites, or sites like Zillow or Apartments.com. But I just took a peak and I'm seeing some good options at good prices, so definitely worth a harder look. For best results (in/near Reston), should I be looking at 'us states > virginia > northern virginia'? I really like the idea of an apartment complex, though, particularly one with a fitness center.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:42 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,249,346 times
Quote:
I don't recommend looking in Manassas for housing if you will be working in Reston. If you can't afford Reston (and I think you can afford the apartments on the lower end of the price range), I would look at Herndon, Sterling or even Leesburg rather then going all the way to Manassas. All have a MUCH shorter commutes then Manassas. Also, Manassas will add substantially to your commuting costs - probably eating up at least half of what you are saving.

Here is a great option in Reston that will fit your budget and is in a real nice lakefront community.
http://www.mrishomes.com/rentals/202...0191-173849999

Last edited by JfromReston; 05-08-2016 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Add link for listing

Old 05-08-2016, 12:26 PM

23 posts, read 27,095 times
If it's a government contract where you're directly interfacing with the government customer, there's a good chance you will get hired as a government employee, assuming you're a good worker.

Just something to consider.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:35 PM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Good luck SVal. One thing I've done is pick up a weekend job. Just food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia