Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 07:25 PM

23 posts, read 58,074 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with hiring a Federal Resume Writer ? Did you actually get an interview or was it a waste of money ?

I am only considering this option because I am a civilian without veterans preference or prior federal experience.

If you had a positive experience, who would you recommend ?

If you had a negative experience, who should I avoid ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 08:24 PM

91 posts, read 111,385 times
You might have better luck taking this question over to the forums at Fed Soup. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2016, 01:56 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
I hired one back in 2014 and she did an excellent job. She had 25 years in human resources in the federal government herself. She came highly recommended. I'll try and find her name if you PM me. So many come here looking for info only to never follow up so I'll wait and see if you follow up.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:50 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
If you decided to go it alone, get this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Federal-Resume.../dp/1593578504

Old 05-16-2016, 02:24 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I don't have this experience but am recently in the middle of hiring. If you are applying for jobs that are open to all U.S. Citizens, it is EXTREMELY hard to get past the veteran's preference. There are TONS of veteran's applying and, rather than being smart and letting everyone on the referral certificate, they just pull the veteran's because they have so many. IMO, not the right way to handle it AT ALL. No matter how well written your resume is, you will not get past this.

The only way you have a chance with a resume writer is if you can luck into an expedited hiring authority announcement (also open to everyone) where they are targeting special skill sets (contracting is one) and the hiring manager is able to pluck out qualified people and somewhat bypass the vets' preference.

This is sort of a new issue/problem (in the last 5 years) so someone that has luck from any years ago, may not be so successful now. I'd be asking to see recent proof of referrals.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:54 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
One thing that few people ever know about is Schedule A when it comes to federal jobs. This is actually how I got hired by the federal agency I am at now. With over 30 years experience in the civilian LE field I couldn't compete until Schedule A came into play. My disability is hearing but many disabilities come into play here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia