Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 01:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,668,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Agreed.

I'm always surprised when I see people recommending Ashburn or South Riding and the OP says they will be commuting to DC. Even with limited budget options, Lorton or Woodbridge would be a much better option if someone is going to DC. Woodbridge at least has Horner Rd which is easily 40-50 mins to DC. With Lorton, you're still at least in FFX County but I'm not sure how the schools are in that part of the county.

South Riding and Ashburn to DC is a major headache.
I agree. I'm temporarily living in Lorton while I look for a home to purchase. Plenty of options in this area in the 500K range and a fairly decent commute to DC. Also, a plus is access to Lorton VRE station with a free parking lot. It's a very nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:19 PM

19 posts, read 21,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Can't help you on housing, others are posing good questions regarding type of housing, distance, etc. if you are looking at Fairfax County here is a link to the special ed info on their webpage, Fairfax County Public Schools: Special Education Instruction. Look at the individual school profiles to see what services they offer for autism. All schools will have some level of services but depending on the age and needs, it may vary. I am sure you can also find similar info on the other districts in the area as well if you check out their pages. Best of luck!
thank you for the link!!!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyung View Post
What grade will your autistic son attend?

Although many elementary schools offers programs for learning disability, only designated middle and high schools handle autistic students. Lake Braddock Secondary offers specialized programs for grades 7 through 12. Other middle and high schools are more limited in programs for autistic students.
He will be starting 1st grade so he's still pretty young

Old 05-23-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaMc55 View Post
Hello it depends on how close you would like to live to the city and what kind of home you're looking for. Fairfax and south will get you a decent home for $500K. I'd be glad to help with any questions you may have. Are you looking for a single-family or a townhouse? If you do travel a little further south your husband also has the train (VRE or metro) as an option as well.
Definitely would prefer a home. I know that my fiance really doesn't want a commute longer than 45 min. Is that an impossible request? And I know hes mentioned just riding the metro into work

Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
Check out West Springfield. $500,000 is at the very lower end of SFH prices but it's possible, and there are lots of very nice townhouses in that price range. The schools are excellent. I have several friends with children with autism and for the most part they're very happy with the autism programs. The commute to DC is not great but not horrible. It's better than it is from some areas. Very convenient to metro and lots of buses. It's a quiet, family-friendly area.
Thanks for the advice! My fiance actually would prefer to take the metro so your post is really helpful

Old 05-23-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paposo View Post
There is no such thing as a easy commute into D.C. Take a look at this map: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1....2844&layers=T . You'll see where the train lines are in northern virginia. Fairfax is great but is very expensive. Houses in McLean, Vienna are easily 800K. Housing drops to 500K+ around the north/south route 28. Loudoun is still pretty pricy. Leesburg is decent for your price range. There is also a lot of new development in and around Chantilly, Brambleton, Broadlands, South Riding. Manassas has good access to the train but is in Prince William county. PW schools are not quite as good. The city in/around Manassas has not quite as well off as other part of Loudoun/Fairfax. If you go to PW gainsville/bristow has quite a bit of new development, however, you'd need to take the train. 66 is a beast going to D.C. If you live in Loudoun realize there are toll roads. 267 from 28 to 495 is about $3 each way but add +$6 if you continue out to leesburg (each way).
SO what im gathering is that we'll have to increase our budget some. Yikes NOVA is expensive!

Old 05-23-2016, 03:16 PM

526 posts, read 902,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keesh_j View Post
SO what im gathering is that we'll have to increase our budget some. Yikes NOVA is expensive!
Your budget isn't totally unreasonable for some areas. I would definitely look in West Springfield if you want a more reasonably-priced house and you want to be close to the metro.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:51 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,252,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keesh_j View Post
If you want to keep your budget and be flexible on other issues, you could move your fiance's commute time to 1 hour and live in a townhouse very near the Reston Wiehle metro station. Check these out!

2086 GOLF COURSE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9657885 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2127 GOLF COURSE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9636822 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11601 GOLF COURSE SQ, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9505724 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11720 INDIAN RIDGE RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9661449 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 05-24-2016, 09:56 AM

153 posts, read 173,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
Your budget isn't totally unreasonable for some areas. I would definitely look in West Springfield if you want a more reasonably-priced house and you want to be close to the metro.
I second Vectorhead's suggestion. If your budget is $500,000, you can find a decent townhome or SFH in West Springfield. The area consists of established family-friendly neighborhoods with convenient amenities, excellent schools, and a decent commute (via MetroBus and MetroRail) into D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia