Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:27 PM

53 posts, read 38,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I believe car A is at fault.

Car B was in motion and had nearly cleared the intersection. Car A should have yielded to Car B at that point.
Yes, you're right. A is making a U turn. i thought that was the same as turning a left.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 12:30 PM

6,568 posts, read 8,416,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeback View Post
Yes, you're right. A is making a U turn. i thought that was the same as turning a left.
When you said "waiting to turn left", I just assumed you were turning down a side street.

It likely doesn't make a difference in regards to this accident. However, a left turn and U-turn are two different maneuvers.

Out of curiosity, did you have your turn signal on?

And where on car B did you collide - the front? side? back?

Last edited by HokieFan; 05-19-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 12:51 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,219,139 times
Quote:
I believe car A is at fault.

Car B was in motion and had nearly cleared the intersection. Car A should have yielded to Car B at that point.

Exactly!

Old 05-19-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, did you have your turn signal on?
And where on car B did you collide - the front? side? back?

Car A had signals on.
Car B was hit on the Rear driver side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Exactly!
But what about the fact that B is also at fault (slightly?) because it should have yielded to car A since it had gotten there first...

Old 05-19-2016, 01:15 PM

947 posts, read 1,404,079 times
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it is my understanding that a car making a left-hand turn (or a U-turn) at an intersection always has to yield to oncoming traffic -- unless, of course, there is a green left-turn arrow -- and has to wait until it is safe to make and complete the turn. I think the only time it matters "who got to the intersection first" is at an intersection with a four-way stop sign.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
I think the only time it matters "who got to the intersection first" is at an intersection with a four-way stop sign.

I agree with this.

In the situation posted (at least as I see it) there is enough room in the median for both cars to occupy and to maneuver. Car A did not yield to car B as it was making it's approach/turn. Car A had enough time (presumably) to see Car B and allow them to finish their movement before proceeding. I think it would be tough to get someone to agree that Car B had any fault.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I agree with this.

In the situation posted (at least as I see it) there is enough room in the median for both cars to occupy and to maneuver. Car A did not yield to car B as it was making it's approach/turn. Car A had enough time (presumably) to see Car B and allow them to finish their movement before proceeding. I think it would be tough to get someone to agree that Car B had any fault.
I mean, the only case to made about Car B being at fault is that they didn't wait their turn to move.
Yes, they were going straight. Yes, they had already 'almost' made it to the median. Yes, Car A should have yielded once car B was already at its final destination, but Car B shouldn't have moved first in the first place.

Is that not fair to assume?

Old 05-19-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I mean, the only case to made about Car B being at fault is that they didn't wait their turn to move.
Yes, they were going straight. Yes, they had already 'almost' made it to the median. Yes, Car A should have yielded once car B was already at its final destination, but Car B shouldn't have moved first in the first place.

Is that not fair to assume?
No...I don't think you can assign "fairness" to it.

The median is open enough to allow more than one vehicle in it. Car B doesn't have to yield to Car A because "it was there first". They were able to safely maneuver into the median until Car A decided to go and hit them.

I'm assuming, OP, that you were driving Car A and feel as though you shouldn't have to bear the brunt of the liability. I'm sorry, hopefully no one was injured and you can just chalk this up to a life lesson. It sucks, but I think it's unrealistic to think "fairness" plays into this.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:37 PM

407 posts, read 370,888 times
I see your point, but it really doesn't matter. Just because someone has the right of way, doesn't mean said person can just proceed forward, hit someone and then place blame on the other because "I was there first".

Car A didn't look to the left before they turned, plain and simple. Had Car A looked to the left, they would have seen Car B approaching. The fact that the damage to Car B was the rear driver's side implies that Car B was nearly all the way into the median and should have been clearly visible to the driver of Car A had they been looking to the left when making the turn. Car A shouldn't assume that they are clear to turn without looking. No matter if you think you have the right of way or not.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:01 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,686,074 times
Quote:
ok, the red is where the accident occurred. A started moving after B had almost reached the accident site.

Your accident occurred in La Plata, Maryland. Crain Highway is Maryland Route 3 (or 301).

Virginia traffic laws do not apply in Maryland. I'd see what the folks in the MD forum think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia