Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 03:02 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,786,708 times

Advertisements

Is it even legal to hang out in the median if it's not a designated turn lane? I know people do it all the time, but I sort of suspect it's one of those things that is technically illegal. Regardless, this is not a real clear cut situation to me, especially since you were making a U-turn. I mean, you had already passed the portion of the road and median that car B was attempting to enter. Car B has no way of knowing you're making a u-turn. You received a citation, so obviously the responding officer thought you failed to properly yield. Might be worth going to court and telling your side of the story just to try and get rid of the citation. Otherwise, let the insurance companies duke it out. Of course, the citation will create a bit of a presumption that it was your fault, but I'm sure they will fight it out if there's any grey territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 03:06 PM

53 posts, read 38,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Your accident occurred in La Plata, Maryland. Crain Highway is Maryland Route 3 (or 301).

Virginia traffic laws do not apply in Maryland. I'd see what the folks in the MD forum think...
Great point, but that's not where the accident occurred. it's just an example. the accident was in Virginia.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:41 PM

19,264 posts, read 17,134,822 times
I believe Car A is at fault, it was waiting on the median. Car B was on an actual road and as stated was moving across prior to car A starting to move.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:45 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times
Car A is at fault. Who got there first is irrelevant. A hit B because he assumed he had right of way, and didn't pay attention to his left while trying to turn left. Never assume the other driver will have the same understanding of right of way.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:35 PM

18 posts, read 20,190 times
Left turn always yields

Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityResearcher View Post
Left turn always yields
I remember seeing in the virginia code that in a 4 way stop sign, the car that arrives first has the right of way.
I've asked two random police officers, and they both indicated that because Car A was there first, it has the right of way...Yet, the two officers at the scene gave Car A a failiure to yield ticket.....

ps. there's video evidence at a local grocery that proves that Car A arrived before Car B. Police watched this video before issuing ticket to Car A.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:42 PM

274 posts, read 705,724 times
Car A could have prevented the accident with reasonable care. Car B could not. To me it seems like a clear cut case, not gray.

As several people pointed out, it was not in a 4 way stop sign situation and who arrived first is not relevant.

Even in a 4 way stop situation, when someone "steals" your right of way (which happens to me all the time, by the way), you may honk/swear/yell/give finger or whatever, but you can't hit the other car and argue that it was the other's fault. A judge will not take it well... Sorry.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:20 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,152,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeback View Post
I remember seeing in the virginia code that in a 4 way stop sign, the car that arrives first has the right of way.

Why do you keep referencing the 4-way stop law??? You were not at a 4-way stop. That law doesn't apply here.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why do you keep referencing the 4-way stop law??? You were not at a 4-way stop. That law doesn't apply here.
with all due respect, is that your opinion (totally ok. I'm not knocking it) or is it the Virginia Law that you could perhaps reference for me?

Old 05-20-2016, 06:34 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeback View Post
with all due respect, is that your opinion (totally ok. I'm not knocking it) or is it the Virginia Law that you could perhaps reference for me?
The first thing you need to reference is we're there 4 stop signs the Rest? The example posted says there weren't. If 4 stops are not there, then there is no need to reference a 4 stop sign law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia