Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 07:01 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,335,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
not sure I understand your point? Why does something have to be "famous" to be good or a non- chain? If you are trying to say, that you cannot get great, non-chain food in FFX, you're crazy. Yes, there are a lot more large chains than my taste prefers, but the good food is there, too.
To further extend your question, what does any of this have to do with the meals tax being on the ballot in November?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 07:02 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,291,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
name a couple that are highly rated on tripadvisor, that visitors would go anywhere out of there way to dine at....but for Government workers; it's all about the kids menu and soda refills.

So this "crazy" person is waiting for your response on:
great Italian?
great Mexican?
great Thai?
great Steak?
great seafood?
and please minimize corporate slime....
Italian- Bellissimo which has almost 5 stars on trip advisor (which you seem to think counts as good for something)
Mexican- nothing, as I've said before. It's all delicious Central American food.
Thai- Sisters Thai which people adore and is Zagat rated.
Steak- The Capital Grille in Tysons. Also Zagat rated.
Seafood- Brine in Mosaic. People love Captain Pell's too.
I will add
Chinese- Hong Kong Palace in Seven Corners, Zagat rated.
Vietnamese- Four Sisters now in Mosaic, Zagat Rated. Or DC Bahn Mi in Falls Church for stellar Bahn Mi.
I could go on.

I don't think I understand your point. Are you disappointed that there aren't more chains or do hate that there are so many? I would say the food scene is worse than Houston, but Houston has the best food scene in the country when it comes to great food at a great price and also fresh food too. I would say this area is more inventive though. Each time a friend comes to town, they have a list of places from Food & Wine that we've got to try while they are here. It ranges from well-known (Ray's Hell Burgers) to relatively unknown (Roll Play or Chase the Submarine in Vienna).

Old 06-12-2016, 07:55 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,154,954 times
Quote:
name a couple that are highly rated on tripadvisor, that visitors would go anywhere out of there way to dine at....but for Government workers; it's all about the kids menu and soda refills.

So this "crazy" person is waiting for your response on:
great Italian?
great Mexican?
great Thai?
great Steak?
great seafood?
and please minimize corporate slime....
oh, so while you hate corporate chains, you are only interested in the food categories that are basically Americanized? I never said you can find the best for every category. Ffxdata gave a pretty decent list already. Do you need me to specifically list where I've had great Vietnamese, Yemeni, Korean, Greek, American sandwiches, French, and Central American food?

Also, Why would you EVER rely on TripAdvisor for your reviews? Have you ever looked at the ratings for all of the corporate chains you despise? Consistently 5 stars......

Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Italian- Bellissimo which has almost 5 stars on trip advisor (which you seem to think counts as good for something)
Mexican- nothing, as I've said before. It's all delicious Central American food.
Thai- Sisters Thai which people adore and is Zagat rated.
Steak- The Capital Grille in Tysons. Also Zagat rated.
Seafood- Brine in Mosaic. People love Captain Pell's too.
I will add
Chinese- Hong Kong Palace in Seven Corners, Zagat rated.
Vietnamese- Four Sisters now in Mosaic, Zagat Rated. Or DC Bahn Mi in Falls Church for stellar Bahn Mi.
I could go on.

I don't think I understand your point. Are you disappointed that there aren't more chains or do hate that there are so many? I would say the food scene is worse than Houston, but Houston has the best food scene in the country when it comes to great food at a great price and also fresh food too. I would say this area is more inventive though. Each time a friend comes to town, they have a list of places from Food & Wine that we've got to try while they are here. It ranges from well-known (Ray's Hell Burgers) to relatively unknown (Roll Play or Chase the Submarine in Vienna).
the first one I looked at was the HK place...reviews state it is not HK at all, but Sichuan...and also average service, with only one review this year. Looks like about 100 feet from the Arlington Border..so you are obviously straining already. I would give that one a miss for sure.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:06 AM

The Capital Grille....a business traveler could easily forget what city he was in. Find A Restaurant | The Capital Grille Restaurant

Old 06-12-2016, 08:10 AM

Captain Pelle's...remnants of the old Chesapeake Bay franchise...48 usd for all you can eat crabs 6 bucks for a beer...might be pretty good, but hardly special and very expensive...Menu

Old 06-12-2016, 08:13 AM

Sisters Thai..in Fairfax City..so not part of the tax debate..but likely watered down thai food, that is mild enough for bureaucrats...at 1000% more than it cost in Thailand, and yes I know the difference between 100% and 1000%, do you?

Old 06-12-2016, 08:26 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,154,954 times
Quote:
Sisters Thai..in Fairfax City..so not part of the tax debate..but likely watered down thai food, that is mild enough for bureaucrats...at 1000% more than it cost in Thailand, and yes I know the difference between 100% and 1000%, do you?
dude, stop criticizing places you have never been to.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:09 AM

less than 1 USD in Bangkok, three weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairfax County Meals Tax on November Ballot-duck.jpg  

Old 06-12-2016, 10:15 AM

10 pork satay sticks, peanut sauce, cucumber salad....70 cents USD...
Attached Thumbnails
Fairfax County Meals Tax on November Ballot-satay.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia