Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 10:20 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,979,754 times

Advertisements

noodle soup, with smoked pork tenderloin...homemade wontons...free green tea...1.12 USD...recently. So, yeah, I know nothing about Thai food in Fairfook, VA...we just set up residency there in 1963.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairfax County Meals Tax on November Ballot-nood.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 10:28 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,157,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
noodle soup, with smoked pork tenderloin...homemade wontons...free green tea...1.12 USD...recently. So, yeah, I know nothing about Thai food in Fairfook, VA...we just set up residency there in 1963.
what is the point of your posts? Has anyone argued that ethnic food in Fairfax is better or cheaper than in that native country?

Old 06-12-2016, 10:40 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,336,404 times
What does any of this (type and quality of food) have to do with the meals tax issue on the ballot?!?

Old 06-12-2016, 11:12 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,979,754 times
Ok, my points are: 1) restaurant scene in FFX County is pathetic for the size, population, wealth......no one can prove otherwise, at all. 2) A lot of the problem is the very anti-business climate for non-franchises. 3) An extra tax will hurt the restaurant employees the most, and may include the elimination of their jobs.

The whole thing is just indicative of a long cycle of too many genetically short chained government workers ganging up on the few things that would give FFX County a little bit of identity/style. It shows failure, at so many levels, when we have others in agreement , that Oakland California has better dining options with 1/3 of the population. And I'll let you all look at the demographics of Oakland.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:57 AM

153 posts, read 173,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Ok, my points are: 1) restaurant scene in FFX County is pathetic for the size, population, wealth......no one can prove otherwise, at all. 2) A lot of the problem is the very anti-business climate for non-franchises. 3) An extra tax will hurt the restaurant employees the most, and may include the elimination of their jobs.

The whole thing is just indicative of a long cycle of too many genetically short chained government workers ganging up on the few things that would give FFX County a little bit of identity/style. It shows failure, at so many levels, when we have others in agreement , that Oakland California has better dining options with 1/3 of the population. And I'll let you all look at the demographics of Oakland.
Respectfully, your assessment of a "pathetic" restaurant scene in Fairfax is purely subjective and based on your own metrics, which are yours and yours alone. I actually think the county's restaurant scene is fine. I can and do patronize a number of independent establishments in my area that suit most of my dining needs and the needs of my family. That assessment is just as valid as yours.

I'm not convinced that the meals tax will hurt the county's restaurant industry. All the other jurisdictions surrounding Fairfax with a tax seem to be doing fine.

And, comparing Fairfax with Oakland is comparing apples to oranges. Oakland is a completely different entity with a completely different history, economy, and pattern of migration. All that aside -- even if Oakland has a better dining scene -- its exorbitant COL and crime rates would cause me to choose Fairfax any day.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:14 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,291,876 times
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:06 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,786,984 times
In a likely fruitless attempt to steer to thread back to the original topic, I think the primary question here, regardless of what one thinks about the current restaurant scene in Fairfax County, is whether a 4% meals tax will hurt, help, or do nothing to the restaurant industry. I am personally skeptical that such a tax will cause any meaningful decrease in business for restaurants and/or reductions of tips for servers, but it would be interesting to see numbers from other jurisdictions on the before and after of a meals tax.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:57 PM

153 posts, read 173,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
Nope, you're just reading a typical City-Data thread...

Old 06-12-2016, 04:23 PM

9,884 posts, read 14,157,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
In a likely fruitless attempt to steer to thread back to the original topic, I think the primary question here, regardless of what one thinks about the current restaurant scene in Fairfax County, is whether a 4% meals tax will hurt, help, or do nothing to the restaurant industry. I am personally skeptical that such a tax will cause any meaningful decrease in business for restaurants and/or reductions of tips for servers, but it would be interesting to see numbers from other jurisdictions on the before and after of a meals tax.
To take my comments back to the original thread (sorry for getting caught up in nonsense), I agree. I don't have empirical data, but I know I've never selected my restaurant based on which one had an additional food tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia