Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:00 PM

150 posts, read 219,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
After watching the video, your accent doesn't sound like a VA accent unless it's somewhere in southern VA - not Fredericksburg and certainly not NoVA. The inflections on certain words make it sound more like a deep south accent. Such as "questions" at the 33 sec mark.

I have a Central VA accent and some have mistaken it for an SW VA or NC accent. I suppose some just haven't spoken too often with folks from central VA.
What??? I do not have a deep south accent!! Just because I say "questions" a certain way? I was tired when I did the video. I have been to Southern VA and they sound so much different! I definitely do not sound anything like them!!!

This is my grandmother's accent here She was from Richmond. She sounds a lot more Southern than I do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUOie0dTeEw

This girl has a Fredericksburg accent. Mine is much closer to this. She's also very attractive like most women are from Fredericksburg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS5EVYlwOKg

Last edited by rvabread22; 06-23-2016 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
You sound like someone born in New York trying on a Southern accent.
And you sound like a troll.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:53 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
And you sound like a troll.
I've been here since 73 and know many people that are from F'burg and many who live there and have for many years and there is no F'burg accent.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I've been here since 73 and know many people that are from F'burg and many who live there and have for many years and there is no F'burg accent.
Well, we think we don't but its an accent obviously, since everyone has an accent. Fredericksburg must have one. And Fredericksburg/Spotsy has one. Its not distinctive as Richmond but its there. Yep.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:53 PM

626 posts, read 381,362 times
It does sound southern! I doubt that's what most people from Fredericksburg sound like anymore though.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
You are determined to "prove" that you have one - regardless of what everyone else says.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You are determined to "prove" that you have one - regardless of what everyone else says.
Not really. Its just that when I meet people they say "Oh you're from Fredericksburg!" I can tell!
So I guess this theory didn't work, lol. Even a linguist pegged me as having a Fredericksburg area (lower Northern Virginia) accent. I think I sound General American with a few Y'alls here and there.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:40 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
A linguist so you say? Imagine that.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:53 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
What??? I do not have a deep south accent!! Just because I say "questions" a certain way? I was tired when I did the video. I have been to Southern VA and they sound so much different! I definitely do not sound anything like them!!!

This is my grandmother's accent here She was from Richmond. She sounds a lot more Southern than I do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUOie0dTeEw

This girl has a Fredericksburg accent. Mine is much closer to this. She's also very attractive like most women are from Fredericksburg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS5EVYlwOKg
Not to say I'm familiar with all Virginian accents but I've lived and visited various regions of VA and IMO, your accent doesn't sound like any of the VA accents I've had the opportunity to hear. And it's because you say most of the words in that video a certain way - not just "questions". I only chose one word to use as an example. The inflections are just....different.

It almost sounds like you're exaggerating and putting more "drawl" than is natural to you. Similar to actors who do not have a natural southern drawl but their role is a southerner - you can tell they're trying.

And your accent is much more pronounced, and with different inflections than the girl in the Pohanka commercial. IMO, your accent is closer to your grandmother's - different but closer.

I'm no linguist, but these are my opinions. Not right or wrong, just how I see (or in this case "hear") things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia