Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:14 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,885,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not a chance in hell I would "finish what I was doing"! I'd be back inside hyperventilating!

Glad you are ok!
Me too!!! Glad you're safe OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:09 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,672,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Well, maybe a little bit of an exaggeration but still. Made my heart flutter a bit. I'm at work in Front Royal. Federal facility located inside 3000 acres in the mountains so seeing bears/wildlife here is standard. But I walked out at 0522 to my truck and I'm parked 20 feet from a dumpster. I heard a noise and saw trash everywhere around the dumpster. A pretty good size bear climbed out a side sliding door and turned to face me. I didn't want to run but I was certainly ready. At 6'5 and 200 and too many lbs I felt really inadequate in this situation. He finally turned and slowly sauntered off as if to say "you can't do squat about this." I finished what I was doing while all the while looking over my shoulder for Smokey.

Am awake now.
HaHa. You weren't his type I guess..lol

Old 06-20-2016, 02:31 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,774,336 times
Saw three bears in less than three hours of hiking in Shenandoah this past weekend. They were all downslope from me when I saw them so I wasn't too scared, but I was much more alert after, haha. After a few seconds of looking at each other, they all scampered off.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:48 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,139,600 times
At least it was not a hungry mountain lion.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...l#post44463218

Old 06-20-2016, 03:58 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,484,092 times
Did you try barking at it?

Old 06-20-2016, 04:49 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,701,143 times
Hey Foot, why didn't you just draw the .44 and holler, "You feelin' lucky, bear???"

Old 06-20-2016, 05:27 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,344,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Hey Foot, why didn't you just draw the .44 and holler, "You feelin' lucky, bear???"
hahaha

Old 06-20-2016, 06:36 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,750,563 times
You mean he didn't respond to your K-9 commands?

Scariest thing about that incident is that the bear sauntered away, as opposed to hightailing it outta there, which is what they usually do in the wild.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:46 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,245,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Well, maybe a little bit of an exaggeration but still. Made my heart flutter a bit. I'm at work in Front Royal. Federal facility located inside 3000 acres in the mountains so seeing bears/wildlife here is standard. But I walked out at 0522 to my truck and I'm parked 20 feet from a dumpster. I heard a noise and saw trash everywhere around the dumpster. A pretty good size bear climbed out a side sliding door and turned to face me. I didn't want to run but I was certainly ready. At 6'5 and 200 and too many lbs I felt really inadequate in this situation. He finally turned and slowly sauntered off as if to say "you can't do squat about this." I finished what I was doing while all the while looking over my shoulder for Smokey.

Am awake now.
Know how you feel....I was riding my motorcycle in the North Georgia Mountains from Dahlonega to Blairsville at night, near full moon.....as I was navigating yet, another twisty, I saw what had to be a 400-500lb black bear saunter on all four across the road about 75 yards ahead of me....I started blowing the horn, flicking on the high beams, etc......and took that next turn at high-speed looking to my right for Smokey....I have to say, it scared the crap out of me a bit....he took off faster when the lights flickered and the horn blew...

Me? I think he was setting up for a perfect ambush.....I would have been dinner as I had not seen a car in nearly 5 miles....it was at 11:00 or so PM....fun ride....until he showed up....I do remember, laughing a bit as I thought to myself, I had my Glock 23 with me but, started chuckling realizing it would have been useless unless wrapped in bologna and tossed in his general direction.....

What struck me as bizzare was how tall he was....on all 4 he looked every bit as high as my bike and then some....he was beefy.....he was in a part of the national forest that's kind of remote....not too many homes and tough terrain....you rarely see them that big up here...they are usually 200-300 tops....this thing HAD to be 400 if he was a pound.....like big foot on all fours!!! They just aren't that big around here...at least the ones YOU see......

anyway, I went down 129 on the way back....took the long way home.....safer too.....I still enjoy carving up at night on the road.....keeping my eyes open for one each time...doubt I will see another unless I bring a pick a nick basket and boo boo.....big sucker....I don't think I would have hazard a rifle shot at him....you would had to have drilled him perfectly to drop him and frankly, I doubt one shot would have (270-30-06 range).....

If anyone was camping nearby and saw this thing, they would have packed up and boogied out of there....haven't seen one riding before or since...rare....

Old 06-21-2016, 03:07 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,286,328 times
Ok, this only started the day and our encounters with bears. Like I said, bears and wildlife are in abundance here in and around this federal property. But holy crap. At 0730 another trainer parked in the back lot then went back out 30 minutes later to get something from his truck. Numerous vehicles back here with numerous people having parked here already. He turned the corner and there was a bear at his trucks door. This bear ran off. At around 0930 we were at our vehicle training pad when a handler with his K9 were walking at the end where he encountered a bear walking by him. The bear grunted at him before running off. I left work at 3 and almost hit a cub standing in the middle of the road leaving our complex. He ran off quickly.

I wonder what happens today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia