Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 03:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,307,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Future legions of CD posters whose first post will start, "I was recently ticketed for driving 87 MPH in a 65 MPH zone on I-81..." are (or will be) thankful you got out of this situation intact.

Good to know you're OK.

Funny you mention this. We have a member here who received one of these dreaded tickets and asked me for a referral for an attorney. I would never mention who this person is but a few of us might not be surprised he/she finally received one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 09:27 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,352,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Funny you mention this.
The priceless look on that sorry kids face when you said "Look in the Yellow Pages".

Old 06-21-2016, 11:48 AM

15,475 posts, read 25,947,050 times
I was going to say that the first bear probably recognized you as a distant cousin (a Smokey) and left you alone.

Good that nothing bad happened.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:46 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,474,392 times
I'd be sure to carry a pic-a-nic basket as a peace offering at all times.

Stay safe out there!

Old 06-23-2016, 01:03 AM

22 posts, read 16,606 times
My uncle used to live on Bear Paw rd in Maurertown. That's not too far away from where I66 and I81 intersect in the Shenendoah. They had black bears stroll through occasionally. It sounds a lot more dangerous than it really was - the number of annual bear attacks on humans in the state is zero or close to it.

Bottom line is black bears aren't grizzlies and don't really want a fight. But if you put the bear in a position where it thinks it can scare you away at no risk to itself, it may give it a try, especially if food or cubs are involved. That's why they recommend stuff like waving your arms and shouting at the bear to make sure it doesn't see you as weak. And when you do make an exit, do it away from food and cubs and in a way that makes it look like you have apex predator stuff that you need to get back to rather than you're running for your life.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
The priceless look on that sorry kids face when you said "Look in the Yellow Pages".
I should have mentioned he is a long time respected member on here and I had no issues with helping him.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcadian View Post
My uncle used to live on Bear Paw rd in Maurertown. That's not too far away from where I66 and I81 intersect in the Shenendoah. They had black bears stroll through occasionally. It sounds a lot more dangerous than it really was - the number of annual bear attacks on humans in the state is zero or close to it.

Bottom line is black bears aren't grizzlies and don't really want a fight. But if you put the bear in a position where it thinks it can scare you away at no risk to itself, it may give it a try, especially if food or cubs are involved. That's why they recommend stuff like waving your arms and shouting at the bear to make sure it doesn't see you as weak. And when you do make an exit, do it away from food and cubs and in a way that makes it look like you have apex predator stuff that you need to get back to rather than you're running for your life.
I drive through Maurertown everyday. You're right about the Black bears but there are documented cases of attacks but fortunately not many. The biggest problem is the number of cubs where we are meaning there are some pretty protective moms around as well.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:33 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,763,794 times
I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail almost 20 years ago, and I think I saw bears in the wild three times; I think one was in Maine and two were in New Jersey (which is teeming with 'em). Black bears (unlike grizzlies, which we don't have outside of Alaska) always run from you--unless they have cubs or they've become used to people, as they have in Gatlinburg, TN, and a few other places. Normally you'd hear a rustling and then see a flash of black for two seconds.

A black bear that doesn't run from you is a scary thing--because unlike Grizzlies, they can climb trees. If the bear isn't afraid of you and thinks you have food, that's a bad scene.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail almost 20 years ago, and I think I saw bears in the wild three times; I think one was in Maine and two were in New Jersey (which is teeming with 'em). Black bears (unlike grizzlies, which we don't have outside of Alaska) always run from you--unless they have cubs or they've become used to people, as they have in Gatlinburg, TN, and a few other places. Normally you'd hear a rustling and then see a flash of black for two seconds.

A black bear that doesn't run from you is a scary thing--because unlike Grizzlies, they can climb trees. If the bear isn't afraid of you and thinks you have food, that's a bad scene.
And herein lies the problem we're seeing at work right now. This is by far the worse since I've been associated with this facility in 2010. There is talk now about getting the state to trap some and move them. I arrive at 0400 every am for work and I take to blowing the horn when I park to make sure none of these Yogi's are hiding in one of the many hiding places close by. Of course the huge skunk foraging in the grass right next to where I park the other day was of no help either. He wouldn't even move when I yelled at him. So of course I parked elsewhere.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:44 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,763,794 times
Quote:
And herein lies the problem we're seeing at work right now. This is by far the worse since I've been associated with this facility in 2010. There is talk now about getting the state to trap some and move them. I arrive at 0400 every am for work and I take to blowing the horn when I park to make sure none of these Yogi's are hiding in one of the many hiding places close by.
It sounds like the bears out there view vehicles as food sources. If all your colleagues agreed not to keep or eat any food in their vehicles, the bears might stop coming 'round. Not sure if you'd get 100% compliance, though. So yeah, I think traps may end up having to be the answer.

Quote:
Of course the huge skunk foraging in the grass right next to where I park the other day was of no help either. He wouldn't even move when I yelled at him. So of course I parked elsewhere.
I'm beginning to question your motivational power over the animal kingdom. You might need to get a skunk trainer out there--or as they prefer to be called, P-U unit trainers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia