Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:45 AM

601 posts, read 594,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
The point is you're never 100% safe ANYWHERE. Its called life.

Some tips I would add though: 1) Get pepper spray. 2) Dont walk around in sketchy places that you feel uncomfortable in with your headphones in (a lot of women are attacked like this) 3) Be streetsmart and use common sense -- pay attention to your surroundings.

I am not a woman, true, but I know women who have lived in far worse hoods which is why this cracks me up. My sister for one lived in inner city Atlanta in one of the worst hoods in the city which was basically an open air drug market. She was completely fine. She also lived in a terrible neighborhood in Lynchburg where people were literally shot in her backyard from gang violence. She never had an issue though. I also know women who live in far worse hoods in DC.

The thing I always tell people and I cant emphasize enough is to walk confidently and be observant! That works 90% of the time. Do not walk home at 2am drunk with your headphones in. Criminals are opportunists.
Men are more likely to be victims of assault, robbery, and homicide. I am always ALWAYS telling my husband to be careful, to watch out.

I've never felt unsafe at Vienna or Ballston, and I've been at both hundreds of times, at all hours of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:27 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,413,987 times
You'll be fine.

Like anywhere else in this country, you want to be smart and vigilant, as long as you do those two things you'll be more than fine. Being "smart" is obviously somewhat subjective but don't do anything that you know will put you in harm's way. Vienna as a whole is a very safe area as is the Northern Virginia area.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:41 AM

15,459 posts, read 25,904,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
You guys don't have a clue. WMATA doesn't even report most sexual harassment and even many sexual assaults and gropings.

Two weeks ago, A woman riding (ride line) ended up in a car alone with a guy, and he raped her at knife point after asking if she had a boyfriend (like her being single or not matters??). Kojo Nmamdi just had a show on this issue a couple weeks back.
Are you talking about the one in Maryland, or is this another one?

Old 06-27-2016, 12:27 PM

947 posts, read 1,406,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
The point is you're never 100% safe ANYWHERE. Its called life.

Some tips I would add though: 1) Get pepper spray. 2) Dont walk around in sketchy places that you feel uncomfortable in with your headphones in (a lot of women are attacked like this) 3) Be streetsmart and use common sense -- pay attention to your surroundings.

I am not a woman, true, but I know women who have lived in far worse hoods which is why this cracks me up. My sister for one lived in inner city Atlanta in one of the worst hoods in the city which was basically an open air drug market. She was completely fine. She also lived in a terrible neighborhood in Lynchburg where people were literally shot in her backyard from gang violence. She never had an issue though. I also know women who live in far worse hoods in DC.

The thing I always tell people and I cant emphasize enough is to walk confidently and be observant! That works 90% of the time. Do not walk home at 2am drunk with your headphones in. Criminals are opportunists.
OP: Gomason hit it on the head with the four recommendations of his that I put in bold.

Unfortunately, as the old saying goes, common sense is not all that common -- and street smarts and situational awareness seem to be in short supply these days, to judge by the number of people whose faces are glued to their smart phones and who have absolutely no conception of anything happening more than 12 inches away from them.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 AM

40 posts, read 44,698 times
As a former cop I will say the best thing to do is to be attentive and alert and aware of your surroundings. Don't put your headphones in your ears and zone out. Most crimes are those of opportunity. Someone not paying attention is a very easy target. As a 6'3" black male I can be intimidating especially on a dark platform. I can count the amount of times I have gotten on a train with people oblivious to the world some get on and off without even knowing I was there. Some get startled once they realize I am there after a few minutes. I once got a a train with a girl in DC rode and she dint know I was there until I got off the train at Clarendon.

In the streets they call it "slippin". The best deterrence against crime is to not get caught "slippin".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia