Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:47 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,703 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 04:46 PM

10 posts, read 16,427 times
Thanks, everybody. This info is very useful. Further research is saying drug usage is prevalent at the HS. I can't tell if they're referring to Falls Church HS or George Mason HS in Falls Church City. Any insight on this?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:50 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,124,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh3 View Post
See what I mean? There's one now!

Mr./Ms. Leighland tries to confuse the post-1948 Falls Church with the Falls Church of the 1915.
Pretty much all of NoVa has a racist history, whether it's Falls Church City redrawing its boundaries to exclude and disenfranchise its black residents, Fairfax County's dragging its heels when the Supreme Court ordered the desegregation of public schools, or memorials to the Confederacy in Alexandria. FCC isn't unique in that regard.

I do find it grating, though, that some FCC residents make a point of boasting about the FCC schools and how they compare to schools in Fairfax County with a Falls Church address, without any acknowledgment that the affluent demographics in FCC are a result of those same historical decisions that ensured few poor, minority residents would live within its borders. Whatever - there are parts of Falls Church/Fairfax County that are wealthier on average than FCC in any event.

Having gotten that off my chest, if OP wants a smaller school system as an alternative to the big systems, FCC is about as small as it gets in the DC area without going private. Even Arlington is a big system compared to some of the small town-based systems in NY/NJ/PA.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:22 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,712,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamamaofboys View Post
Thanks, everybody. This info is very useful. Further research is saying drug usage is prevalent at the HS. I can't tell if they're referring to Falls Church HS or George Mason HS in Falls Church City. Any insight on this?
I would bet that there are more drugs (per capita) at George Mason for the simple fact that drugs are expensive....the more affluent the student body, the more drugs that are bought and sold.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:23 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,329,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I would bet that there are more drugs (per capita) at George Mason for the simple fact that drugs are expensive....the more affluent the student body, the more drugs that are bought and sold.
Bingo. I believe I've heard similar things about Langley which has historically been one of the most sought after school pyramids.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,712,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Bingo. I believe I've heard similar things about Langley which has historically been one of the most sought after school pyramids.

Oh yeah, Langley is the granddaddy of them all...you can get anything you want.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:39 AM

795 posts, read 1,017,943 times
Quote:
What is the feeling in the town? Is it welcoming to newcomers? We're looking for a place with a sense of community.
Falls Church City is a extremely extremely liberal place. If that matters to you.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:26 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,124,015 times
Quote:
If your "research" consists of soliciting input on message boards where people can respond with varying degrees of anonymity, you will often get stereotypes recycled by people who lack personal knowledge.

Usually, the stereotypes have a kernal of truth (i.e., students at more affluent schools like George Mason may have more money to buy drugs than those at poorer schools like Falls Church), but they get blown out of proportion by people who have an incentive to disparage other schools and communities.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:51 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,917,317 times
Quote:
As I said before Falls Church City (FCC) is an independent city located in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Bordering FCC is a neighborhood called Falls Church which is in the county of Fairfax in Virginia.

Falls Church High School is located and serves the Falls Church neighborhood in Fairfax County.
Here is FCHS profile
[url=http://schoolprofiles.fcps.edu/schlprfl/f?p=108:13:0::NO::P0_CURRENT_SCHOOL_ID:090]FCPS - School Profiles - Falls Church HS - Demographics[/url]

George mason is in THe City of Falls Church (FCC) It is located in and open only to FCC residents.
Here is their profile. [url=http://www.fccps.org/gm/]George Mason High School - George Mason High School[/url]

Oddly, I have not heard of uncontrollable drug issues at Mason. I suspect this is because amount of the kids tend to be somewhat geeky and are more into fantasy/comicbook/robot building pursuits plus the small influence European diplo kids have a different worldview. Mason is definitely more into teens experimenting with Politics/Identity issues

OTOH, I would never send my kids to Chantilly, Centerville, Woodson or Westfield . Mostly due to the Drug/suicide problem and partly due to the fact I tend to be attracted to schools with lots and lots of ethnicity.

In Nova, like the rest of the us, we have a terrible massive problem with Heroin, Rx Drugs and sex trafficking but the above have a HUGE problem with these scary things.

Keep in mind that I would still take Chantilly over almost many other HS in the us

Old 06-29-2016, 12:11 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,329,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
OTOH, I would never send my kids to Chantilly, Centerville, Woodson or Westfield . Mostly due to the Drug/suicide problem and partly due to the fact I tend to be attracted to schools with lots and lots of ethnicity.

In Nova, like the rest of the us, we have a terrible massive problem with Heroin, Rx Drugs and sex trafficking but the above have a HUGE problem with these scary things.
This gets my nomination for most outlandish post of 2016 thus far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia