Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 05:45 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,328,214 times

Advertisements

These places you guys are recommending - will they give a quote without having both owners present? We had a door-to-door solicitation from some company (I can't remember the name) and they wouldn't come to do an estimate unless my husband was going to be there too. It was ridiculous, like a timeshare presentation. They said it's because it's a major investment so all named owners needed to be there, but my husband travels for work a lot and he trusts me to make financial decisions on our behalf, but that wasn't good enough for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM

393 posts, read 1,204,999 times
Vinyl Lite installed my new windows. I am 100% satisfied and I highly recommend them.

Fairfax Windows, Northern VA Replacement Windows, DC Replacement Windows - Vinyl-Lite

Old 07-06-2016, 07:01 AM

57 posts, read 68,714 times
I forgot to mention in my last post, attempting to use Thumbtack was a disaster for me! (Maybe it was the type of work I was trying to hire for, but ...)

Everyone wanted the job(s). Appointments were setup. More than half never showed up or called to reschedule. Out of all, I only actually received one quote as promised, then he never responded when I tried to schedule the actual work. I guess there is just so much work in this area that customer service can go right out the window? Or, contractors only want the large $ gigs. (Though, I was very honest about the jobs I was hiring for from the beginning.)

I've had better luck with HomeAdvisor ...

Sorry to rant ... was just trying to possibly save you some time, though YMMV.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:07 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,723,708 times
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about Thumbtack. I got about 9 responses to my query. Most of them from what looks to be people working solo and I'm not comfortable with that. I do have two quotes from companies but have not yet responded. One of them has re-messaged me that they have not heard back from me.

One guy says he "roughly" charges about $450 a window and that includes "wrap" of the surrounding wood.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:24 PM

795 posts, read 1,017,943 times
Don't forget to address the inside trim and finishing.

I remember about 8 or so years ago we got several quotes for windows and sliders. One was from Long Fence Windows. The salesman (Dale) had to be the most obnoxious jerk I've ever experienced. Should have kicked him out of my house after the first 5 min. of his sales pitch.

Used ELK Remodeling in Fairfax. Unfortunately they are no longer in business.

We knew we would be selling the house in the near future and got good but not pricey top of the line. Did sell 2 years ago and the buyer did not care if they were Pella or Anderson $$$ or generic $ like we purchased. Just something to think about.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:37 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,236,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
These places you guys are recommending - will they give a quote without having both owners present? .
Yes for NOVA Installations, and I'm sure for the others. It's now what I use as one sign of a good company. I won't deal with any company that requires both.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:17 PM

214 posts, read 501,102 times
I've used Windows on Washington over the last several years to replace all our windows (I had a few installed at a time) and take care of a few other improvements around the house. The process for getting a quote was easy (I've primarily worked with Zach) and I've been happy with install each time. I've actually had the same installation crew a few times.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:42 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,703 times
You should keep in mind that if a company installs a window they don't make, it generally voids the warranty. If it were to break under warranty, the install company blames the window maker and the window maker says it was an improper installation. We liked Anderson because they make the windows and install them, so we have no issue with getting anything fixed.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:03 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,236,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
You should keep in mind that if a company installs a window they don't make, it generally voids the warranty. .
This isn't true at all. It may be something Anderson says to get you to buy directly from them, though. I would make sure, though, that your selected company is an authorized dealer, but it doesn't have to be the specific manufacturer.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:58 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,329,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Don't forget to address the inside trim and finishing.

I remember about 8 or so years ago we got several quotes for windows and sliders. One was from Long Fence Windows. The salesman (Dale) had to be the most obnoxious jerk I've ever experienced. Should have kicked him out of my house after the first 5 min. of his sales pitch.

Used ELK Remodeling in Fairfax. Unfortunately they are no longer in business.

We knew we would be selling the house in the near future and got good but not pricey top of the line. Did sell 2 years ago and the buyer did not care if they were Pella or Anderson $$$ or generic $ like we purchased. Just something to think about.
I would highly recommend people stay away from Long, for any type of work. They did a paver walkway and steps for my grandmother and did a horrible job. Even pressured her for payment before the work was done and left staining on the stairs, probably from cement residue. They said it would wash off but never did. Sorry off topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia