Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:24 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,711,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I would but the opening is crooked
When I crack the door 1/4th an inch, the door is closed on the bottom

Will bigboxers reshim it straight or just force a door into the existing opening?
Home Depot/Lowe's just contracts out to local, smaller window installers.

I will tell you my experience. I ordered two sliding doors. One of them was an odd size and was more of a custom order. My husband was going to do the labor as it should have been an easy install, but when they arrived, the fit wasn't quite right due to my own framing.

The contractor bringing the windows felt responsible for how they measured and volunteered to do the install (no cost to me) and they did a great job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:26 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,588,271 times
We went Home Depot for the replacement of our rotten sliding patio door to outward opening French doors. We wasted months with some Angie's List (A Rated) local home repair business, was a total nightmare. Fired them, called Home Depot, and it was done for less money and done perfectly. I wouldn't worry if it's out of spec, they will send a person to your home to measure and investigate the situation before they'll order anything. They need to see the setup first, which is when they'll advise you on how to fix the crooked frame.

This category goes into the "life's too short" bucket. Just give one of the big-box guys a call. It'll be much easier on you.

Quite frankly, everything I've done through the Home Depot has been excellent. Carpet throughout, appliance installs (including shaving down granite and modifying a kitchen cabinet for a larger double oven install), you name it. They've earned my trust to be at the top of my "go-to" list for help.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,711,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
We went Home Depot for the replacement of our rotten sliding patio door to outward opening French doors. We wasted months with some Angie's List (A Rated) local home repair business, was a total nightmare. Fired them, called Home Depot, and it was done for less money and done perfectly. I wouldn't worry if it's out of spec, they will send a person to your home to measure and investigate the situation before they'll order anything. They need to see the setup first, which is when they'll advise you on how to fix the crooked frame.

This category goes into the "life's too short" bucket. Just give one of the big-box guys a call. It'll be much easier on you.

Quite frankly, everything I've done through the Home Depot has been excellent. Carpet throughout, appliance installs (including shaving down granite and modifying a kitchen cabinet for a larger double oven install), you name it. They've earned my trust to be at the top of my "go-to" list for help.
Have to agree with this. I did not use Home Depot for my window job (whole house) because they did not carry a product I wanted, but for doors, they are fine.

It reminds me of a friend of mine who went to some Angie's List contractor for Pella sliding doors, got an outrageous quote, then found the same exact doors at the Big Box store and got them installed for 50% of the original cost. She was a bit nervous about who the installers would be, but it turned out great.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:40 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,873 times
We also went with Home Depot for our sliding glass door. We couldn't have been happier with the product or price point.

We got estimates from those heavy pressure "the mister must be home" types and couldn't stand it. Higher prices and having to deal with the stupid sales techniques.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:35 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,146,896 times
I got a couple Anderson doors on Craigslist and home depot even worked to get the right frame ordered. Now the style of Anderson comes in components so it would be easier to do what I did a few years ago.

Ref windows, if straight panes of glass ( contemporary houses), it was much cheaper to get a reputable installer and ordering glass thru Woodbridge glass ( with free delivery) than if I had gone through boxstores or aggressive contractors.

On insulation, most recently, the box stores were 30% higher than specific company that just does insulation. We're talking the blown-in type in the attic. Wanted an extra 2 feet added and the overall difference was over $1,000 ( around 30% difference)

Old 04-02-2017, 05:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,912,274 times
Thanks all!

Old 09-02-2020, 01:45 PM

40 posts, read 152,193 times
Hi all,

Super-old thread, I know, but just for posterity: I just used this thread to identify potential installers for new windows in our home in NOVA.

Scott the CEO at Tri-County Windows was very helpful and responsive. However, he informed me that most companies do not install the kind of windows you can use in an old/historic home governed by the preservation review board like what we have here in Old Town.

I just came here to say three things for future searchers.
1. Thank you to all of you who gave your advice. It was very helpful.
2. Scott from Tri-County Windows was awesome, helpful, and patient. So, +1 for them from me (although my interaction was limited).
3. Scott recommends "Renewal by Anderson" because they use a composite material that can be made to match the style of the original windows which should meet our neighborhood guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia