Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:44 AM

857 posts, read 844,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
You guys are really ignorant about the app. There's no need for trespassing, the game only takes you to public points of interests and a few churches/cemeteries.
Not intricately familiar with the game myself but knowing what I know, there are multiple reports of people attempting to gain access to various restricted facilities/spaces in an attempt to play the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 07:54 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
I haven't seen anyone actually playing.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Are they running? Or simply slowly strolling while still chained to their phone?
They aren't sitting, and that's the important thing.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:48 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
You guys are really ignorant about the app. There's no need for trespassing, the game only takes you to public points of interests and a few churches/cemeteries.
Yeah, like police stations. Because it's such a great idea at this present point in time for people to be lurking around police stations (particularly at night, particularly if black).

And actually, the app doesn't always get it right on the "public points of interest" ... there are multiple reports of locations being incorrectly identified as a public point of interest, and actually taking players onto private property.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:54 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yeah, like police stations. Because it's such a great idea at this present point in time for people to be lurking around police stations (particularly at night, particularly if black).
What, afraid they might hire you?

Old 07-12-2016, 02:58 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
I too find the whole thing annoying. Too many people are already walking around looking at their phones--which already drives me nuts. I refuse to get out of the way if some wayward dullard is listing toward me. If I'm feeling charitable, I might say "Heads up, Buttercup."

And I just read the Holocaust Museum is having to tell people not to do Pokemon Go while there!

What happened to public comportment? I won't even make a phone call in public. That's one step above flossing in front of others.

Yet all the things that used to be public and free (drinking water, highways, national parks, network TV) are now private and individualized.

Cranky Gen X rant over.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:13 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Which most certainly could be trespassing.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:25 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I too find the whole thing annoying. Too many people are already walking around looking at their phones--which already drives me nuts. I refuse to get out of the way if some wayward dullard is listing toward me. If I'm feeling charitable, I might say "Heads up, Buttercup."

And I just read the Holocaust Museum is having to tell people not to do Pokemon Go while there!

What happened to public comportment? I won't even make a phone call in public. That's one step above flossing in front of others.

Yet all the things that used to be public and free (drinking water, highways, national parks, network TV) are now private and individualized.

Cranky Gen X rant over.
They are doing it at Arlington Cemetery as well

Old 07-13-2016, 04:01 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:

I read some more stories about this app and the problems that are arising. Seems the ignorant may just be you. I've just read enough to know that it's not necessarily just an innocent game with some people.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:24 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
I agree with the identifying these people as "Pokeman Zombies". Literally, there is hordes of mindless people wandering around the streets of Boise. They are not talking or looking or doing anything but staring at their phones trying to find Pokeman. I actually tried playing the game for a bit and can see it was interesting, but nothing spectacular. I'm thinking that Nintendo is using serious mind control to influence the masses. THe people are truly looking like mindless groups of zombies hooked to their phones.

I am all for people going out and socializing with others, but this whole Pokeman epidemic is seeming very Twilight Zone like. When, I interrupt people playing Pokeman and ask about the game, they just look at me slightly annoyed, then smile and give me a universal answer, "You should try it, IT IS FUN!!" I feel like I am living in an Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie.

Something is very, very wrong about this whole Pokeman Epidemic. We are going to have mindless hordes of zombies wandering around our streets. Now, everyone is bringing mobile cell phone chargers with them and streets are littered with people plugging their phones into every outlet imaginable as the GPS and game suck the batteries of their phone quickly.

Pokeman is really a silly and low quality game. I'm more afraid what is going to happen when these geo-caching/GPS powered games become more sophisticated and intriguing and when are streets becoming littered with hordes of hooked zombie youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: