Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,175 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I have been searching for a home for over a year now. We have been going back and forth between Stafford and the Manassas/Dumfries/Woodbridge area. We are looking for a SFH with a yard (dog) over 1,700 sqf. No children yet, but we plan for some in the next 3-4 years. We hope to stay in the house a long time-so something we can grow into.

We have found well made homes with large lots under our budget (370k) in Stafford, but are concerned about the commute. I currently work from home and he works in Woodbridge, but I may eventually start working in DC in the future. My question here is-do you think the EZ pass lanes they plan on extending to Stafford will help with the commute in around 4 years? Do you think it will raise the value of the home we purchase as well? And will it actually happen haha?

We love Manassas but a lot of the houses are right at the top of our budget and I would prefer to spend less so we aren't house poor. I have read a lot about the terrible commute from Manassas in this forum and wondering if it would be about the same as Stafford. A lot of the homes in Woodbridge we have found are all the exact same plan and the school districts are pretty bad (some not all). We loved Dumfries, but the main subdivision in the city has such small yards.

I know we don't have a high budget for the area, and we are looking for a nice home-but I would really like your input on the main differences on these places. I have lived in Alexandria for 5 years, but I still have no clue about these areas.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 10:29 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
I used to live in Stafford, while a great area with pretty solid schools, the commute getting there from anywhere north is a major con. Even if it's only 20 or 25 miles north to Woodbridge, traffic from Stafford is incredibly unpredictable even when using the express lanes.

The express lanes seemed to have helped somewhat but it's still not perfect as the merge has created a huge bottleneck and people get stuck in the express lanes while trying to get off at the Garrisonville Rd exit. Not to sound pessimistic but I don't think the express lanes being extended a few miles to Aquia will help. They're essentially moving the bottleneck a few miles down. I still see there being a merge problem.

In this area it is EXTREMELY rare to work where you live so if you guys can afford Woodbridge and your husband works in Woodbridge, that's a rare gift that you should probably look further into. Although schools are extremely hit or miss, the Lake Ridge area of Woodbridge (22192) has good rated schools. Also, if you were transferred back to work in DC, out of the 3 (Woodbridge, Manssas and Stafford) Woodbridge is the easiest to get to DC, still may be a headache some days though. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Since your husband works in Woodbridge, how about looking in the part of the 20112 zip that is closer to Forest Park HS? You'd be just a few miles off of exit 152 and I would guess he would have alternate routes (Spriggs, Minnieville, Dale Blvd?).

14904 YOLANDA LN, MANASSAS, VA 20112 | MLS PW9669498 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

5528 HOBSONS CHOICE LOOP, MANASSAS, VA 20112 | MLS PW9632636 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Maybe Montclair?

Old 07-22-2016, 02:06 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I agree with others. Stick as close as you can to Woodbridge. It will help on all accounts, especially if you start working in DC. There are LOTS of options. I am totally on board with not being "house poor" but in my youth, I was so risk adverse that I didn't do myself favors. I ended up, over the years, making a lot more money so I should have taken the financial risk (and it wasn't a bad risk) and move closer to my job versus being scared of being house poor.

Not, the express lanes will not increase your property values. I'm pretty sure that only a Metro Station would do that.

Montclair is a good suggestion and their are some nice, smaller homes in there that would fit your budget and the schools are good. I really like the neighborhood.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
I just returned from a week long stay in the City of Manassas, where I have visited periodically over the last 12 years. My parents live in a neighborhood of homes like you describe....1700 sf + basement on 7800 sf lot. They paid 320K in late 2003, saw values hit 475K, then retreat to 220K, and now a solid 360K. Last year I spent a week there and a neighbor's son hung himself on a tree by the community path. A year before that a young man was convicted of murder after a "misunderstanding." This year, there are three boarding houses within 500 feet of their house. Parents are too old to care. I may drop the dime on the ones who think it is OK to block the sidewalk every night, and also will be looking at their permit for their walkout basement door. My mom says no way she would send her kids to the local school(s). The nice neighbors are opting for home-schooling. Taxes are about 4500. Last Thursday, I went to Wal-mart on Liberia and Dollar Tree on Sudley (234 Business). There was a child beating at each location...I was thinking "is it Christmas season already?" There was a shirtless man in Dollar Tree with body odor so bad it would knock the buzzards off a manure cart. I also got bad vibes from the riff-raf at the cvs/total beverage. My mom has been advised to stay away from the strip malls on 234, but the grocery stores she shops at have decent security. Some of the neighbors take VRE into DC, but I've seen it take 1:15 to get to I-66/495 on a Sunday morning. Dulles isn't a horrible commute, but Reston would be a bear. Manassas to Woodbridge would be a pretty light commute by NoVa standards. Proceed with caution...perhaps your future kids may even qualify for the "Gifted" program.

Last edited by Hal Roach; 07-25-2016 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-30-2016, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,175 times
Thank you, everyone!

Old 12-27-2017, 05:38 AM

4 posts, read 3,399 times
Stafford schools are excellent! Check GreatSchools for Stafford Schools ratings. There are some remnants of racism specially against middle eastern folks, but racists will run away as gentrification takes hold.

Stafford allows you to maximize money/sqft for home as well as retains the “suburb” feel. It’s a growing city and getting in early will reward you, as the growth is here. We weren’t able to find the right mix in other areas due to few places to build new homes and the prices are much higher.

Schools in a Stafford are comparable to much more expensive areas.. best in the region!!

Old 12-27-2017, 12:07 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWater434 View Post
Stafford schools are excellent! Check GreatSchools for Stafford Schools ratings. There are some remnants of racism specially against middle eastern folks, but racists will run away as gentrification takes hold.

Stafford allows you to maximize money/sqft for home as well as retains the “suburb” feel. It’s a growing city and getting in early will reward you, as the growth is here. We weren’t able to find the right mix in other areas due to few places to build new homes and the prices are much higher.

Schools in a Stafford are comparable to much more expensive areas.. best in the region!!
You've resurrected a 2016 thread. I'm fairly certain they must have the answers they need by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia