Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 03:26 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Hey, C, I also just remembered Del Ray!

How's the house hunt?
It's on hiatus due to summer laziness! Haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 03:29 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,463 times
Thank you all for the continued suggestions, I'm cruising around on Craigslist right now seeing what's out there. Regarding the type of housing, I would be ok with a flat given it's a first floor with attached patio or fenced in yard. Just something to make letting 3 dogs out easier than having to walk all 3 several times per day lol. I just HATE apartment complexes/hi-rises/etc with a fiery fiery passion haha.

Also, is Craigslist the best for finding rentals? Up here I use HotPads which pulls from a bunch of listing sites but it looks like it's not as great down in the DC area.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:34 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Thank you all for the continued suggestions, I'm cruising around on Craigslist right now seeing what's out there. Regarding the type of housing, I would be ok with a flat given it's a first floor with attached patio or fenced in yard. Just something to make letting 3 dogs out easier than having to walk all 3 several times per day lol. I just HATE apartment complexes/hi-rises/etc with a fiery fiery passion haha.

Also, is Craigslist the best for finding rentals? Up here I use HotPads which pulls from a bunch of listing sites but it looks like it's not as great down in the DC area.
From what I can tell, Craigslist is the way to go. My daughter recently became a renter and that's what everyone is using. There was another site: Padmapper, I think it was, that she used but not as successful with that one.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:18 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377;4lan4856718

Becca - Craigslist is a popular tool for rental shopping but it's also a popular tool for scammers. Please be careful to check on the legitimacy of any offers, tours and contacts you obtain via Craigslist. The Christian Science Monitor has a good article that discusses some of the more common rental scams

Six ways to avoid apartment scams on Craigslist - CSMonitor.com

Here's a link to a rather lengthy discussion on searching for Washington DC area rentals on Craigslist, some of the reported scams in the Washington DC Craigslist and how to report them officially

https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtond...aigslist_scam/

Good luck

Old 07-22-2016, 07:58 PM

39 posts, read 40,901 times

Last edited by WildParrot; 07-22-2016 at 08:13 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 08:05 PM

39 posts, read 40,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
From what I can tell, Craigslist is the way to go. My daughter recently became a renter and that's what everyone is using. There was another site: Padmapper, I think it was, that she used but not as successful with that one.
Padmapper is a good way of finding listings you wouldn't find by using a single website. It somehow combines listings from several places & puts them on a map you can zoom into a certain location.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:03 PM

Thanks all! As it turns out, a good friend of mine is a realtor in DC as a sidejob so she's now helping me look for places! I sent her these neighborhood suggestions as well as the DC neighborhoods I'm looking at. Thankfully time is on my side and I'm not anticipating a move-in until Sep or Oct at the earliest.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

Another area I forgot is Del Ray (NW Alexandria, west of Route 1)--very walkable with lots of shops, but full of young hipster parents with toddlers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Hey, C, I also just remembered Del Ray!

How's the house hunt?
Hey guys, can you tell me a little more about Del Ray? My realtor friend just sent me a few houses that are walking distance to both Mt. Vernon Ave and Potomac Yard. Mt. Vernon looks super cute!

Can you tell me more about the type of people that live in this neighborhood? Is it truly mostly hipsters with kids or would my 30-something single self still do ok?

Also, best way to L'Enfant Station? Google Maps is telling me to pick up Metroway at Potomac Yard to the Yellow Line.

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2016, 03:46 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
Quote:
Hey guys, can you tell me a little more about Del Ray? My realtor friend just sent me a few houses that are walking distance to both Mt. Vernon Ave and Potomac Yard. Mt. Vernon looks super cute!

Can you tell me more about the type of people that live in this neighborhood? Is it truly mostly hipsters with kids or would my 30-something single self still do ok?

Also, best way to L'Enfant Station? Google Maps is telling me to pick up Metroway at Potomac Yard to the Yellow Line.

Thanks!
I was kind of exaggerating; I'm sure not everyone there is a 30-something toddler-bearing hipster. There did seem to be a lot of them when I was last there, however.

Re. Metro, try the WMATA trip planner. There's also a bus line running up route 1. In 10 or 15 years, they're planning to put in a new Metro station where Potomac Yard is now. So that area has decent investment potential (held back currently only by the bad schools).

Old 07-27-2016, 07:14 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Not a 30-something single nor a child-toting hipster; rather a 40-something (god, I hate to type that) DINK. And i would definitely have Del Ray on my top 5 list of neighborhoods, should I ever decide to move closer to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia