Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:35 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,712,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
yup...also been subjected to the "neighborhood" stop. Why is it that every parent must also go to the neighborhood bus stop these days? I rode the bus to school since age 7 and would have been appalled if a parent showed up. In super safe Loudoun neighborhoods, why not trust you kids to walk to the corner?
You can't expect the precious snowflakes to walk more than 50 feet!

Down in Clifton, many parents drive the kid(s) to the end of their own driveway! I can see in foul weather, but they do it EVERY day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 12:45 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,328,214 times
Quote:
yup...also been subjected to the "neighborhood" stop. Why is it that every parent must also go to the neighborhood bus stop these days? I rode the bus to school since age 7 and would have been appalled if a parent showed up. In super safe Loudoun neighborhoods, why not trust you kids to walk to the corner?
We walk our twins about a block to make sure they (a) actually get on the bus [ADHD], (b) don't fight with each other at the bus stop, and (c) aren't being messed with by older kids. Our bus stop has over 30 kids and there is a lot of horseplay.

As for embarrassment, some days it's the only way to get my kids to the bus stop. This morning, for example, I had woken them up with Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" and then on the way to the bus I threatened to sing it with full jazz hands if they didn't get moving up the street.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:59 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,236,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
We walk our twins about a block to make sure they (a) actually get on the bus [ADHD], (b) don't fight with each other at the bus stop, and (c) aren't being messed with by older kids. Our bus stop has over 30 kids and there is a lot of horseplay.

Just curious - what age do you feel they can do those things on their own? As for the fighting and potentially being messed with by older kids, are they not allowed to play in the neighborhood?

Old 09-16-2016, 02:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,917,317 times
Quote:
Just curious - what age do you feel they can do those things on their own? As for the fighting and potentially being messed with by older kids, are they not allowed to play in the neighborhood?

Its not age. Its combination of maturity, combined with the ability to not get distracted (situational awareness on)
Plus in my case, excellent ongoing jiu-jitsiu training should he get in a fight/someone tries to grab him

Plus, I know the *registered* sex offenders in the hood and I showed him their photos so he knows who is definitely NOT a trusted adult

Old 09-16-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Its not age. Its combination of maturity, combined with the ability to not get distracted (situational awareness on)
Plus in my case, excellent ongoing jiu-jitsiu training should he get in a fight/someone tries to grab him
Well, I certainly hear you, but I don't know that those are necessarily the right metrics to judge readiness. I do believe that maturity is a good metric, but don't you feel that learning to do it on your own helps promote maturity; as opposed to doing it with them until you think they have achieved a specific level of maturity?

As for the other two, I'm very easily distracted and know nothing about martial arts. Guess I should, at age 41, find someone to always walk with me down the street?

Look, this will be my last post on this topic; because I know it is a sensitive topic. And I don't have children; so I truly don't want to come off as trying to tell others how to raise their own children.

But multiple generations of children managed to make it to the bus stop, and then to school without parents going with them. We have managed to be successful, thriving adults; despite potentially missing the bus once or twice (taught us to better manage our time) or potentially getting into a scruff with another kid (taught us social conflict management skills). These are skills that need to be learned by experience; not by parents always making sure you aren't in that situation.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,917,317 times
Quote:
Well, I certainly hear you, but I don't know that those are necessarily the right metrics to judge readiness. I do believe that maturity is a good metric, but don't you feel that learning to do it on your own helps promote maturity; as opposed to doing it with them until you think they have achieved a specific level of maturity?

As for the other two, I'm very easily distracted and know nothing about martial arts. Guess I should, at age 41, find someone to always walk with me down the street?

Look, this will be my last post on this topic; because I know it is a sensitive topic. And I don't have children; so I truly don't want to come off as trying to tell others how to raise their own children.

But multiple generations of children managed to make it to the bus stop, and then to school without parents going with them. We have managed to be successful, thriving adults; despite potentially missing the bus once or twice (taught us to better manage our time) or potentially getting into a scruff with another kid (taught us social conflict management skills). These are skills that need to be learned by experience; not by parents always making sure you aren't in that situation.
I believe its different ages/different kids-even sibling have diff abilities
Plus as a 50 yo femaie, I wouldn't feel safe walking certain places, unlike men.
Right now there are issues in Georgetown so as I woman, I'd walk in groups but as a 25 year old guy, I wouldn't worry about it

How's your commute going? Have you outsmarted the bus routes? Its always worse first couple of weeks
FCPS is in I figure

Old 09-18-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post

How's your commute going? Have you outsmarted the bus routes? Its always worse first couple of weeks
FCPS is in I figure
If I am on the road by 6:35, I am before any of the buses on the possible routes I can take in Loudoun. Any later and I have little chance of avoiding one.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:52 PM

73 posts, read 122,150 times
In Loudoun, school bus routes are up to Loudoun's Dept of Transportation. Maybe you could call them and ask.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:05 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,712,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2015 View Post
In Loudoun, school bus routes are up to Loudoun's Dept of Transportation. Maybe you could call them and ask.
Negative.

The LCPS Dept of Pupil Transportation, a part of LCPS, handles it.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:44 PM

73 posts, read 122,150 times
That's true about Loudoun County. In general though, the school always directs parents to call Loudoun's Dept of Transportation if they have any questions related to school busses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia