Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:45 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,704,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Wish I knew where you were talking about.
Probably this outfit:
https://www.originalmattress.com

They're not too close by and the reviews are mixed.

Anyway, buying a mattress is infuriating! It is absolutely impossible to compare mattresses because the manufacturers market the same mattress under different names depending on the retailer selling it.

I think I got my last rack at Costco. I figured it would be acceptable because most Costco products are, and it was pretty cheap. But, I'm not picky...if it's better than the floor, I'm good to go. I know people that spend 3 or 4 grand on a mattress, and that's NUTS, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 08:22 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Just got a Big Lots ad in the paper today. They are advertising Serta Mattress sets in the $300 range.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:46 PM

871 posts, read 2,117,606 times
We've had luck with Mattress Warehouse. We've bought a few beds (queens and twins) from them, and they've been good. They always have a Labor Day sale that starts mid-August and goes through Labor Day weekend. At least at the stores we've visited, they've been helpful but not pushy about budget, brand, or style. I've heard that isn't the case at some other stores.

One thing about budget- if this is something that he only needs for a year or two, a budget mattress can work well. If, however, he might keep it for a long time, it's worth spending a little more. The difference between a $150 mattress and $400 mattress is huge. There is less of a jump between a $400 mattress and $800 mattress.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:58 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
We've had luck with Mattress Warehouse. We've bought a few beds (queens and twins) from them, and they've been good. They always have a Labor Day sale that starts mid-August and goes through Labor Day weekend. At least at the stores we've visited, they've been helpful but not pushy about budget, brand, or style. I've heard that isn't the case at some other stores.

One thing about budget- if this is something that he only needs for a year or two, a budget mattress can work well. If, however, he might keep it for a long time, it's worth spending a little more. The difference between a $150 mattress and $400 mattress is huge. There is less of a jump between a $400 mattress and $800 mattress.
I am actually surprised people even like an $800 mattress. I am "the princess and the pea." My current mattress set is probably over 10 years old now but cost me about $2,000 and it's just fabulous. I really do poorly on cheap mattresses. Vacationing can be tough for me....

Old 08-27-2016, 02:10 PM

871 posts, read 2,117,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I am actually surprised people even like an $800 mattress. I am "the princess and the pea." My current mattress set is probably over 10 years old now but cost me about $2,000 and it's just fabulous. I really do poorly on cheap mattresses. Vacationing can be tough for me....
I won't deny that premium mattresses can't have a noticeable difference in feel and comfort over mid-range mattresses (those that sell for $400 to $800 or so). However, if price is a consideration (and I think it is for Bigfoot's son), it can still be worth it go spring for a cheaper mid-range than to buy the bargain doorbuster set that's advertised for $99, especially if you will be keeping it for more than a year.

A premium mattress doesn't usually make sense for somebody who may still be moving around a fair amount and may be marrying and upgrading to a queen or king mattress in a few years.

In your case, a $2000 mattress that is useful for more than 10 years still works out to well under $1 per night. Not too bad!

Old 09-09-2016, 06:52 PM

40 posts, read 35,601 times
I know this thread is a couple weeks old, but just for future reference..

Amazon sells futon mattresses for $100 and under. They are shipped to your door all squished (not sure what it's called - the mattresses are totally flattened then rolled up, so they can fit in a much smaller box for shipment. When you open the plastic it is packed in, it rapidly expands). Placing a futon mattress on the floor should not bother a young'un, and he could get a futon couch/bed frame later if he wanted to. They are 'regular' sizes so bedding sets fit the same as on a regular mattress. I've purchased 2 of these mattresses - one for me, one for a daughter - and they are very comfortable.

There is also a ReStore in Leesburg at Route 15 and Battlefield, to look for bed frames. Also Salvation Army (10 Cardinal Park Dr SE) and Goodwills in Sterling and Herndon. The ReStore has tons of used furniture for great prices - even if it's a little further away than the other 2, I'd definitely go see them first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia