Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 05:06 PM

11 posts, read 15,949 times

Advertisements

As I've said in a previous post, my family is temporarily relocating to Virginia from NY for my husband's job. They set us up with housing and we have some options to choose from. His office is in Sterling and we're told most people stay in either Reston or Herndon. We'll be choosing housing without ever visiting the area (we have a newborn and its not really feasible) so I'm trying to be as informed as possible. I will be staying home with the baby so I thought the Avant in Reston's town center would be the best option. It seems like theres a lot to do without having to put the baby in the car. My husband prefers the feel of a complex like the Avalon Reston Landing in Reston, but I'm worried I'll feel a little isolated. I've sort of discounted Herndon as a whole because it seems like more goes on in Reston but again, I'm basing this solely on internet searches. I'd really appreciate some local opinions. Here's a list of the places to choose from. I'd like to compile a list of first choices for my husband to give to the housing representative.

http://www.suiteamerica.com/complex_...n&CST=VA&zone=

Some things to consider- My husband's 31 and I'm 27, we have a 6 week old baby, and know no one in the area. Needs to have parking, some form of outdoor space, and amenities nearby. Thank you in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 08:11 PM

22,545 posts, read 12,111,709 times
If you can afford the Avant, then go for it. I once got to take a tour of the complex when it was fairly new. It has a lot of amenities and the location is great.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:21 AM

948 posts, read 1,407,747 times
I'm not personally knowledgeable about either the Avant or Avalon Reston Landing, although I'm familiar with the general area each is in. If you're choosing between those two, I think it comes down to the lifestyle you prefer. The Avalon is in a residential area and thus quieter and less hectic than living in Reston Town Center. About the only thing in easy walking distance from it is a Trader Joe's and a Silver Diner, as well as a couple of small restaurants (Thai and Peruvian) in the nearby Home Depot center.

Reston Town Center does have a lot to offer -- numerous restaurants, some nice shops, a small park, a multiplex, and a central plaza that hosts free Saturday night concerts in summer and becomes an ice skating rink in winter -- but it is not that large a "downtown". If you do decide on living at the Avant, be sure to find out if the building has parking spaces for the number of cars you own. RTC's owner, Boston Properties, has decided to start charging for parking in its public garages as of September 12, which has led to a substantial but futile backlash against the idea. You should also be aware that there are construction projects underway in RTC itself as well as nearby areas due to the scheduled expansion to the area in 2020 of Metro's Silver Line. As for who lives in RTC, my impression is that there seem to be a lot of young professionals in their 20s and 30s, as well as downsizing Baby Boomers.

From either property your husband's commute to Sterling won't be bad at all, which is quite an advantage when living in Northern Virginia.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:18 PM

2,092 posts, read 4,261,864 times
ICS67 Has good information. I've been in the Avant on a Reston Home Tour - it was nice. I'm pretty sure that the Avant is much newer than Avalon. Also, I think Avant has an elevator and Avalon is a walk up building. Be careful about walking up with the baby and all your stuff (groceries, stroller, etc). Also I wouldn't want to be on the first floor near parking - our temporary apartment over in Herndon was similar in style/design to Avalon. With an apartment on the first floor we had cars light shining in our bedroom window at all hours of the night. I would choose Avant.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:15 PM

22,545 posts, read 12,111,709 times
Yes, the Avant is much newer than Avalon---and it definitely has an elevator.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:00 AM

790 posts, read 1,885,428 times
I would go with Avant, as well. Great location -- and newer development. Reston is a fabulous place!! Enjoy -- and welcome to NOVA!!

Old 09-01-2016, 04:00 PM

313 posts, read 553,315 times
It as an absolute b*tch to park at the Avant right now but maybe things will improve now that they're going to charge for parking. The issue is that they went halfsies and made the 1st and 2nd levels general area parking (i.e. anybody visiting RTC). They then made the 3rd and 4th levels resident only parking which wouldn't be an issue except they decided to put a goddamn gate and gave not a lot of warning to drivers who don't live in the Avant. This of course led to backups and all that obnoxiousness that comes from people trying to turn around in a parking garage not built to handle it. If you have visitors during the week, they will have to pay 2 dollars an hour for the privilege of visiting you.

Otherwise the Avant is pretty good.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:39 PM

11 posts, read 15,949 times
Yikes the parking situation at the Avant sounds less than ideal, especially for guests. We live in New York now and deal with parking nightmares daily so ease of parking is definitely high on the list. I've also ruled out the Avalon entirely as I really want to be close to some amenities. Another property they suggested was the Monroe Place in Herndon. I love the fact that it's attached to a grocery store so that I don't have to put the baby in the car to go food shopping. The little area around the complex seems cute- some spots to grab food and such. Anyone have insight on the Monroe and the population of people who live there?

I'm torn between using the corporate housing coordinator/ living in an apartment -or- just taking the rent stipend we're given and trying to find a private townhome rental myself. It's super hard figuring out what kind of lifestyle I'm looking for and organizing a lease in somewhere I've never been :-/

Old 09-01-2016, 06:29 PM

2,092 posts, read 4,261,864 times
Monroe place is kind of isolated beyond the few shops around the Harris Teeter grocery store. I went to that grocery store a few times (before we got Wegmans - the ONLY STORE worth going to) and found the parking garage confusing.

You should check out renting a townhome or a condo in Reston Town Center. Here are a few options to consider.

12083 TRUMBULL WAY #2083-9, RESTON, VA 20190 | MLS FX9707673 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
12195 CHANCERY STATION CIR, RESTON, VA 20190 | MLS FX9746448 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
1902 CRESCENT PARK DR #36A, RESTON, VA 20190 | MLS FX9745708 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
12025 NEW DOMINION PKWY #213, RESTON, VA 20190 | MLS FX9751765 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
12001 MARKET ST #T43, RESTON, VA 20190 | MLS FX9751376 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Here is another option - on the coolest lake in Reston and it comes with a dock/boat (a strange creature that people party on in the middle of the lake). It is located next South Lakes Shopping Center with everything you need without putting the baby in the car. Grocery Store, Restaurants (Red's Table, Cafesano, Subway, Chipolte, FlippinPizza), two banks, gas station, CVS, drycleaner and a liquor store.

11178 HARBOR CT #1178, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9719956 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

If you have any questions about Reston, just let me know - I'm happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: