Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 02:56 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,711,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
...Also, when I used to work in Fairfax, I would get stopped almost daily by homeless people asking for money - not a common occurrence in Fairfax County.
Were you near the Lamb Center? It's a large homeless shelter at Fairfax Circle. I think they have to leave during the day, so yeah, you're going to run into homeless people around there.

There was a another shelter somewhere near where the new Lowe's is. Not sure if that one is still there, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 03:17 PM

59 posts, read 53,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficklered View Post
I looked it up because I fought against it in Florida (the one year we had one.....last year). Bear hunting is trophy hunting to me so I'm against that, especially like in NJ with killing cubs and even a disabled bear.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/bear/

Um, why do you think its trophy hunting? Black bear meat is very much eaten... Grizzly/alaskan brown is often not (as such, those hunts are for population control, a different subject)--so maybe that is what you are thinking of?

Old 10-17-2016, 03:37 PM

1,109 posts, read 903,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficklered View Post
So many of the threads are old, so that's why I'm starting this one. My husband and I are relocating to Fairfax County. I have been in Florida for 20 years, but from NJ. My husband is German, but has been in Florida for 15 years. We are 40s-early 50s.

I am a teacher, fiction writer, travel agent, and wildlife/animal/environment lover. My husband is a techie. We have no children, but 2 small dogs.

We are moving for a job my husband was offered with a pension to help us with retirement. We also don't like how Florida is getting hotter and hotter every year and is really not very wildlife/environmentally friendly. Also we'll be closer to my family in NJ (a 3 hour drive).

We are into doing things with our dogs, hiking, boating, the beach, water-skiing, traveling, theater, concerts, wine, festivals, fitness, and food. We want a small town, artsy feel where we can walk the dogs at night and have no worries. But also within a 30 minute drive to fine dining, music, etc.... We are excited to be close to mountains and the beaches.

My biggest fears (aside from financial) with the move is safety and fitting in. According to research, Fairfax County is one of the richest and safest counties in the country, but I got a little worried when seeing people's comments on articles talking about safety. Some laugh on the articles I read and say that places like Fairfax, Alexandria, and Falls Church are not safe due to gangs and drugs??? We'll be going from middle class to probably lower class in that area (lol) due to the price differences, so we can't afford the ultimate luxury there.

I thought I had it narrowed down (after research) to Fairfax City (where my husband would work), Vienna, Alexandria, and Falls Church. They seem like they have houses to rent for under 2500/mo that would fit our needs.

We are visiting next weekend to scope it out, but please let me know your opinion. Thank you.
You may want to try Kingstowne -it is near Alexandria, but more reasonable in cost, and more parking...

Houses For Rent in Kingstowne VA - 74 Homes | Zillow

Old 10-17-2016, 03:38 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,421,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Were you near the Lamb Center? It's a large homeless shelter at Fairfax Circle. I think they have to leave during the day, so yeah, you're going to run into homeless people around there.

There was a another shelter somewhere near where the new Lowe's is. Not sure if that one is still there, though...
Yep. That actually makes sense. I used to eat lunch at the Chick-Fil-A right next to it and get coffee in the morning at the Dunkin Donuts over there. There also was a Subway across the street.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 5,491 times
Northern VA is pretty safe I think! I've lived there almost all of my life. I'm not there now, but I may be going back, not sure yet.

But I've lived in Alexandria and Woodbridge (Lake Ridge area) and liked both. I liked Woodbridge more, even though it took longer to get to and from work.

But get used to traffic! There's going to be traffic. Especially before and after work.

I've never thought of Fairfax County as rich people though, even though it is expensive to live near DC, so you may be right about that. Although McLean is really expensive. You can just look at the houses there and you can tell.

As for friendliness.....people can be friendly depending on the person. But it's definitely not a 'smile at everyone you see' kind of place. I wish it were like that, and I am friendly and would smile at you, but can't say the same for everyone.

Regardless of where you move, I definitely think it's safe. Never worried about not being safe at all. I hope you'll feel that way too!

Old 10-17-2016, 04:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,916,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

That is soooo periphery of FFX City

FFX city is lovely, walkable with local bars, restaurants and bakeries in walking distance to gorgeous new brick walkup Townhomes. Safe and fun! Its truly great- and is FULL of Antietam and Civil War history

This is typical higher end FFX City;
[url=http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Fairfax-City-County-VA/fsba,new_lt/condo,townhouse_type/82742298_zpid/3162_rid/38.887626,-77.21818,38.816639,-77.385721_rect/12_zm/0_mmm/]10601 Yorktown Drive | MLS #FC9655435 | Zillow[/url]

Annual City Chocolate Festival
[url=http://patch.com/virginia/fairfaxcity/guide-to-the-2014-chocolate-lovers-festival-in-old-town-fairfax-this-weekend]Guide to the 2014 Chocolate Lover's Festival in Old Town Fairfax This Weekend - Fairfax City, VA Patch[/url]

Historic Blenheim
[url=http://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/historic-resources/civil-war-interpretive-center]City of Fairfax, VA : Historic Blenheim and the Civil War Interpretive Center[/url]

Alas, there are NO LOCAL OCEAN BEACHES in the Washington DC metro area

There are Chesapeake Bay beaches an hour from town (Brackish Water)

Atlantic Beaches are 4+ hours one way in the very SE bit of the state; Hampton Roads

Old 10-17-2016, 06:00 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,430,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Alas, there are NO LOCAL OCEAN BEACHES in the Washington DC metro area. There are Chesapeake Bay beaches an hour from town (Brackish Water). Atlantic Beaches are 4+ hours one way in the very SE bit of the state; Hampton Roads
No local ocean beaches in the immediate Washington DC area but Atlantic Ocean beaches are within a 3 hour drive (from Alexandria) if you go to the Delaware beaches such as Rehoboth, Bethany Beach, Dewey or Cape Henlopen. Personally, I think they are much nicer than the Hampton Road area (too full of traffic and chain restaurants and hotels). Dogs are allowed on the public beach in Delaware State Parks such as Cape Henlopen. They are allowed on the beach at Dewey beach between 530 pm and 0930 am, and on Rehoboth Beach between Sep 30th and 30 April. The Potomac River is very broad and has lots of nice water view walking trails along it in Washington, Virginia and Maryland (dogs allowed).

There is almost always a festival going on in this area in the spring, summer and fall. Check out Northern Virginia Magazine, especially the Best Of section. Under Travel, check out the Day Trips section for an idea of the many cool things to do within a couple hours of the area.

Last edited by ersatz; 10-17-2016 at 06:28 PM..

Old 10-17-2016, 06:16 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,711,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
That is soooo periphery of FFX City

FFX city is lovely, walkable with local bars, restaurants and bakeries in walking distance to gorgeous new brick walkup Townhomes. Safe and fun! Its truly great- and is FULL of Antietam and Civil War history...
Oh, I wasn't complaining. I love Fairfax City. Fairfax City was my "beat" during most of my school bus career and I know every inch of it. I was just trying to tell the guy why he encountered a lot of homeless folks. I have no problem with homeless folks. They're just trying to survive. It was kind of startling to find one sleeping in my school bus at o'dark thirty, as happened a number of times. But I never called the cops or anything.

Speaking of Fairfax City, I have fond memories of driving with my mom out TWO lane Rt 236...ONE lane in each direction!) to buy fresh dairy products at the farm where Woodson High School was later built. And stopping for penny candy at the Fairdale General store on the way home!

Old 10-17-2016, 06:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,916,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
No local ocean beaches in the immediate Washington DC area but Atlantic Ocean beaches are within a 3 hour drive (from Alexandria) .
OP, DC'ers don't get the local beach concept. They think the "Hours" concept is close. I lived 20 minutes from OB in San Diego and I miss that so I feel your pain. I used to grab my colicicky baby and the stroller from the house and minutes later had him in Pacific Air, in the sand, happy as a bug
Can't do that in DC.
But I like it here for many other reasons.

Also check out City of Falls Church if you don't wish to live where you work.Its a lot more expensive that FFX City tho'..

[url=http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Falls-Church-VA-22046/house,townhouse_type/12227933_zpid/67135_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/38.906329,-77.152176,38.870854,-77.210799_rect/13_zm/]308 Grove Ave, Falls Church, VA 22046 | MLS #FA9766703 | Zillow[/url]

[url=http://www.fallschurchva.gov/632/Concerts-in-the-Park]Concerts in the Park 2016 | Falls Church, VA - Official Website[/url]

2nd best library in the usa (Ludington on the Main Line in Philly is the best)
[url=http://www.fallschurchva.gov/424/Library]Mary Riley Styles Public Library | Falls Church, VA - Official Website[/url]

Draws older crowd for a lot of fun events
[url=http://www.thestatetheatre.com/index.xml]Welcome to The State Theatre[/url]

Old 10-18-2016, 10:28 AM

90 posts, read 157,306 times
I think you can get some nice places in Reston for that price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia