Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 02:54 PM

772 posts, read 1,142,746 times

Advertisements

Hello. I may be working near the Fairfax County Courthouse. The exact area would be Chain Bridge Road and Armstrong. I need to find housing over that way. I'd prefer to live w/n walking distance. If not, then I would want a commute by car to be no longer than ten mintues. Twenty minutes would be the absolute max. The problem is that the area seems pretty nice, and I'll only be making like 70K a year. Are there any studio or one-bedroom apartments in the area that are halfway affordable? My guess is that my rent budget would be only 1,500 a month.

Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 03:14 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
You obviously don't live here, a 10 min. commute could be just getting to a main road! It has taken me 30 mins. at times to go 6 miles! Have you done any research on nearby apt. complexes??

Old 10-17-2016, 03:43 PM

772 posts, read 1,142,746 times
This is the beginning of my research. I find that the natives are the best source of info.

I am really averse to a long commute. I absolutely don't want to be stuck in traffic.

I gave you the exact intersection. Is there anything affordable over that way? It seemed pretty nice, so I was skeptical.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:54 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,993 times
The problem that you will face is that you will be competing with GMU student housing which is right up the road. I bet you could find something within walking distance but it won't be luxurious by any standards.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:08 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
OP, check out Craigslist and use filters such as Fairfax City and your budget of $1500.

For instance, I found this condo for rent that is about a 15 minute walk from your work location.

Great condo in heart of Fairfax City

And a couple of others within a short commute:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...817980390.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...808774443.html

Old 10-17-2016, 04:45 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I think OP needs to do basic research first - nobody can tell you where to live or should have to do your research for you. Google is your friend.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:04 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
This is the beginning of my research. I find that the natives are the best source of info.

I am really averse to a long commute. I absolutely don't want to be stuck in traffic.

I gave you the exact intersection. Is there anything affordable over that way? It seemed pretty nice, so I was skeptical.

Dude, there are plenty of cheap rentals at Blake Lane North of 29/lee hwy

Here is one example, plenty others, esp on Craigslist
[url]https://fairfaxcirclevilla.com/[/url]

expect around 1600 per mos

And its 10 mins from the Courthouse.

Expect lots of Immigrant neighbors from Central America, China, Arabs, and SE Asians.

I don't know safety but FFX County is super safe on the whole

Old 10-17-2016, 05:47 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Don't bother looking at Layton Hall apartments. It is a barrio and they are going to be torn down soon.

I know a guy that lives at Margate Manor apartments and seems to like it. They are at Main St and Pickett Rd. Pretty close to the Courthouse but I wouldn't want to hoof it everyday...

edit: even closer to the Courthouse is Fairfax Square which are still fairly nice I believe. Managed by Van Metre which is a first class company.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Don't bother looking at Layton Hall apartments. It is a barrio and they are going to be torn down soon.

I know a guy that lives at Margate Manor apartments and seems to like it. They are at Main St and Pickett Rd. Pretty close to the Courthouse but I wouldn't want to hoof it everyday...

edit: even closer to the Courthouse is Fairfax Square which are still fairly nice I believe. Managed by Van Metre which is a first class company.
Barrios are just fine if you are 21, recent grad. Don't waste your income on concierges and that crap.You can always move out after a year to an area/$$$ apt with billions of amenities once you get familiar with nova

My first apt was in a Puerto Rican hood in Chicago and it was perfect. Technically I live in one now with our family , we are happy with the schools, its safe and I'm super happy

There are a bunch of apts at the intersection of Lee Hwy and Nutley at the Vienna Metro stop. Again less than 15 mins from the courthouse. Might be good for weekends to Metro into DC

Old 10-17-2016, 07:11 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Barrios are just fine if you are 21, recent grad. Don't waste your income on concierges and that crap.You can always move out after a year to an area/$$$ apt with billions of amenities once you get familiar with nova

My first apt was in a Puerto Rican hood in Chicago and it was perfect. Technically I live in one now with our family , we are happy with the schools, its safe and I'm super happy

There are a bunch of apts at the intersection of Lee Hwy and Nutley at the Vienna Metro stop. Again less than 15 mins from the courthouse. Might be good for weekends to Metro into DC

Ahhhh, my first apartment...fond memories. Arna Valley apartments...Glebe Rd & Shirley Hwy...tiny 2-story brick units built in the late 30s, two apts on ground floor, and two on the second floor. No A/C and radiator heat.

Ninety bucks a month plus utilities...no kids! I knew all my neighbors cuz there were only 3 of 'em.

The young Asian guy across the hall was cool and we got along well. One day he comes home with a brand new Lincoln Mark sumthin or other. Land yacht! He tells me the payment is only $270 per month.
I said, "Dude, your car is costing you THREE TIMES what your home costs...that's just wrong!". LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia