Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 08:11 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times

Advertisements

ive never done this for used cars, but what is the best and CYA method to do it? I'm assuming I can go to the DMV to get a transport pass to drive it without plates home, go get it to pass emissions and inspection and then head over to the dmv for registration and plates?

car might be coming in from MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 10:35 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I would guess that you need temporary plates from MD, but I'm too busy to google it.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:44 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Wink Answering questions

To answer your question, the Virginia DMV does not give advice on how sellers should remove their plates so you may have to call or someone on here has experience.

Here is a good link;
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#vehiclereg.asp

Old 11-01-2016, 11:20 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
They do have a three day Trip Permit. It is not a plate, just a slip of paper. You might be able to obtain one online at www.dmvnow.com

However, if you have the title signed over to you, you can register the car in VA for one month WITHOUT the emissions inspection. They give you the metal VA plates but the stickers they give you are only good til the end of the following month. DMV will never ask for the Safety Inspection to register a car...that is between you and police and there is no grace period.

If the car is coming from MD look at the title carefully. MD uses a two-part title on cars that have or had a lien. If the title has a security interest (lien) noted on it, there is another part of the title (lien release) that you need. They look very similar except for color. Look also for joint owners...all sellers must sign the title over to you.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:25 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I "think" OP is worried about driving it from MD to VA w/o plates.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:16 PM

Well obviously. I suggested two (legal) solutions.

Sometimes I've been able to persuade the seller to bring it to my house and then I drove him home.

On a few other occasions, I've taken plates off another of my vehicles and put them on the newly purchased car for the ride home...highly illegal. But I drove like Saint Peter and luckily got away with it.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:39 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
You can get a VA trip permit for three days for $5 online on the dmv website. Add the car to your insurance first. Technically not valid until you get into VA, but realistically no cop is gonna hassle you in MD if you are displaying the permit and have the bill of sale with you.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:52 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
i figured id get that temp pass to drive it back to VA, however im more concerned with passing VA emissions. Car has a salvaged title.

am i going to need to pay VA the property tax at the dmv in order to register it?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:33 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i figured id get that temp pass to drive it back to VA, however im more concerned with passing VA emissions. Car has a salvaged title.

am i going to need to pay VA the property tax at the dmv in order to register it?
You need a mechanic to inspect it. You may need to find one in Maryland if the owner won't bring it to Virginia. You tell the mechanic you want it to pass the Virginia emissions and safety inspections. You can print a list of what is required and give it to mechanic to check what is on the list. Go here: Virginia State Police - Safety Division and scroll down to see what is inspected. Be prepared to pay the mechanic for this. Find out what the emissions requirements are and check that too. The mechanic can tell if the owner disabled the check engine light or if it has been reset without fixing the problem if there is one.

No, they will mail a property tax bill once you register it with your county. However, you may have to pay the sales tax, or whatever fancy word they use for it when you register it at the DMV. That's a different tax than the Personal Property tax.

Salvage title? Honestly, I would pass and buy a car in Virginia. This car is not the only car in the whole world. You can find equal or better in Virginia and have slightly less hassle.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:08 AM

Unless the car has been through the whole salvage procedure and the title is branded Salvage-rebuilt....I would RUN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia