Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:15 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,024 times

Advertisements

We typically drive across the American Legion bridge every Sunday to visit the MIL, and it's a crawl NO MATTER what time of day both ways. I can't imagine doing this 4 days a week during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 07:51 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindymiller9 View Post
Thanks for replying guys.

Our concern about Bethesda is that the elementary and middle schools aren't all that great. The high school, Walt Whitman, is great..but that's also a function of many folks there sending their children to private elementary school to avoid public.
That's the first time I have ever heard any complaint about the Elementary schools in the Bethesda area. Middle schools, I don't know. My kids went to Montgomery County Schools in Elementary, Middle, and High School before moving to Virginia. They got a very good education there. That was in Gaithersburg / North Potomac. The schools in Bethesda are better than the ones in Gaithersburg. I think you do not have to be in the best school to get the best education. Parents need to motivate the kids to learn. That is more important than being in the best school. However, MoCo schools are right up there with the best there is. The high school my kids went to is better than the one my youngest attends in Loudoun County. You must make your own decision, but I don't see the schools in Falls Church being much different than the ones in Bethesda. That's just me though.

Quote:
Generally speaking, we liked the feel of northern Virginia better than MD/Montgomery county. We liked the city of Falls church because of the great schools and overall vibe of the greater Falls Church/Virginia area.
I can't argue with the vibe. Everyone feels things differently.

Quote:
I have read that the commute into Bethesda is usually 30 minutes and back in the evening can range from 40-60 minutes. If that's the case, I can manage this commute 4x a week.

But are you guys saying that the commute is longer than what I've read online...or are there other reasons you would suggest that I stay close to Bethesda?

TIA!
My main point is that both areas are fairly equal. The main difference is the commute. It used to be okay, but nowadays the commute over the American Legion bridge (or Cabin John Bridge according to some in Bethesda) is horrible. My rule has been to get across before seven in the morning, or three in the afternoon, and you'll be okay. I commuted over that bridge for several years. Anytime I need to cross it now, it's been much worse than when I was doing it regularly. The afternoon is especially awful. This applies to both directions. In the morning it is a little better. Jumping off on side roads sometimes helps, but many other drivers are doing the same so it's often backed up on those roads too. You didn't specify where in Bethesda, (or from where in Falls Church) so estimating the time it would take is difficult, but your estimates seem low for going to NIH, or downtown Bethesda.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:53 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Dude, no way will you want to make that commute, you will be extremely miserable and unhappy. Montgomery County is affluent and has nice parts with good schools. In this area you want to live as close to work as possible - don't create an unnecessary headache for yourself.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:52 AM

540 posts, read 790,683 times
Quote:
Thanks for replying guys.

Our concern about Bethesda is that the elementary and middle schools aren't all that great. The high school, Walt Whitman, is great..but that's also a function of many folks there sending their children to private elementary school to avoid public.

Generally speaking, we liked the feel of northern Virginia better than MD/Montgomery county. We liked the city of Falls church because of the great schools and overall vibe of the greater Falls Church/Virginia area.

I have read that the commute into Bethesda is usually 30 minutes and back in the evening can range from 40-60 minutes. If that's the case, I can manage this commute 4x a week.

But are you guys saying that the commute is longer than what I've read online...or are there other reasons you would suggest that I stay close to Bethesda?

TIA!
I don't know all that much about the Bethesda area, but I have a really hard time believing that.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:21 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
Quote:
I'm a data person, so I went looking for data to validate your concern. The data I found shows that the Bethesda elementary schools are excellent. On Great Schools seven schools have a 10 rating, two have a 9 rating and one has an 8. All three middle schools have a 10 rating.

Please live in Bethesda or Potomac! The American Legion Bridge does not need one more regular commuter.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:14 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,863 times
I live in Tysons and was offered a better job in MoCo. A COOL job, with NICE people. More MONEY.

Accepting that job meant I had to move to Maryland. No ifs or buts. I had to move. I knew I would DIE a slow death driving over that dang bridge.

So I didn't take the job. Mostly because I didn't want to move. Maryland is nice...so it wasn't the area or anything negative. I just didn't want to move.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:50 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,618 times
I don't think you understand the truly sole-crushing level of traffic and how awful this will be. Marriages have ended over less. My partner was unrecognizable while doing half that commute.

You are one of those very fortunate people who could live where they work in this area. I am too. The ability to be home within 15 minutes of leaving the office is a gift to your partner and children that do few can give.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:53 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,646 times
Bethesda is a very nice place to live. I wouldn't do that commute for any money.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:13 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Falls Church to Bethesda?

You can't get there from here!

Old 11-05-2016, 01:41 PM

406 posts, read 619,613 times
While I agree with the general recommendation that you should consider Montgomery county much more seriously, we have gone a bit off the reservation on this thread. Falls Church to Bethesda is relatively benign as far as cross-river commutes go around here. I do Fairfax to Silver Spring about 3x per week and have not imploded yet Many people do MUCH worse. However, most of us are 'forced' to by disparate work locations. If your spouse does not work, it becomes much harder to justify living in VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia