Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,212 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Background
We will be moving from New Jersey for my work in Bethesda this coming December. My work schedule is the usual 9am-6pm, Mon-Fri hamster wheel, with the ability to work from home on Fridays.

We have two elementary school-aged children, so schools are our top priority. We plan to rent for 6-12 months before buying a single-family home, with a budget up to 1M.

Being from the NYC metro area, a 45-60 minute one-way commute is fairly common...and something that I am comfortable with provided that it gets us:
1) great schools
2) nice home (e.g. open layout, decent sized backyard, etc)
3) good community

Current Situation
Most folks at work have recommended living close to work in Montgomery county, but we also want to consider Virginia.

Question
How tough would the daily drive/commute be between Falls Church and Bethesda?

If this gets us great schools, more bang for our buck with respect to a home (compared to Potomac, Bethesda)...with a commute of 60 minutes or less each way, then we're game.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 08:45 PM

9,890 posts, read 14,174,040 times
Look, I'm a "Virginia" gal (which means I am one of those people who will never move to MD, for no really good reason, other than it's MD), but you should live in MD; Bethesda specifically.

1) Great schools
2) Close to work
3) Upscale
4) Safe/ Desirable area

Unless you are very concerned about your own gun rights....Bethesda is where you should be.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:12 PM

15,445 posts, read 25,874,182 times
Agreed. Bethesda is the better choice. Falls Church is nice, but it's not better than Bethesda. Why sit for hours everyday on the Beltway for nothing gained.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:37 PM

3,260 posts, read 2,353,357 times
Why Falls Church? McLean is nicer and the schools are better. Maryland has higher taxes and many more liberals/Democrats, if that matters to you.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:57 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,741,467 times
I did it (but to Silver Spring). It's terrible. You will hate it.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:08 AM

540 posts, read 792,192 times
Bethesda/Potomac.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:21 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,501,689 times

Old 11-03-2016, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,212 times
Thanks for replying guys.

Our concern about Bethesda is that the elementary and middle schools aren't all that great. The high school, Walt Whitman, is great..but that's also a function of many folks there sending their children to private elementary school to avoid public.

Generally speaking, we liked the feel of northern Virginia better than MD/Montgomery county. We liked the city of Falls church because of the great schools and overall vibe of the greater Falls Church/Virginia area.

I have read that the commute into Bethesda is usually 30 minutes and back in the evening can range from 40-60 minutes. If that's the case, I can manage this commute 4x a week.

But are you guys saying that the commute is longer than what I've read online...or are there other reasons you would suggest that I stay close to Bethesda?

TIA!

Old 11-03-2016, 06:56 AM

9,890 posts, read 14,174,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindymiller9 View Post
Our concern about Bethesda is that the elementary and middle schools aren't all that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindymiller9 View Post
I have read that the commute into Bethesda is usually 30 minutes and back in the evening can range from 40-60 minutes. If that's the case, I can manage this commute 4x a week.

I'd be interested to find out where you hear/ read these two things?

I am certainly no expert, but I have heard the Bethesda schools (as a whole) are extremely good. Sure, there might be a less than stellar one in there, but just avoid those.

Also, there is no way you are getting from Falls Church to Bethesda in 30 minutes, unless you literally live on 66, and your office is within a mile of the Beltway, AND you are doing this at 2 am. It will take you 25 minutes, alone, to get from the Beltway to downtown Bethesda during normal traffic hours. And that does not count the time spent coming across the American Legion Bridge. And, yes, evenings are worse.

But if you don't want to live in MD, that's fine. But I would definitely try to stick to McLean or Great Falls (east side) to save on the commute. Please know that what you are talking about doing is not just a long commute, but a slow, stop and go commute. That's what makes it so painful.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:59 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,501,689 times
Dude, I live in the Fairfax County part of Falls Church and love it. I recently started to love downtown Falls Church after avoiding it for decades because the police drove Volvo's and who can trust police that drive Volvo's? (rhetorical/dated/YMMV)

But that commute on a good day will kill you. I do not spend a lot of time in Bethesda but I am certain I could be very happy there. If you are concerned about the schools look at private. You may be able to subsidize some of that with saved commuting expenses anyway with the bonus of being actually able to spend more time with your family.

There is nothing wrong with Falls Church but IMHO there is something wrong with a Fall Church/Bethesda commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia