Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 03:07 PM

111 posts, read 147,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyngcsu View Post
Not sure exactly what you are looking for in a property but there are condos in the Haymarket/Gainesville area that meet your listed criteria. Probably more in Manassas but the schools are not a good.
6261 Aster Haven Circle UNIT 20, Haymarket, VA 20169 | MLS PW9749691 | Listing Information | Long and Foster
I will look into this area as more homes come on market in the spring. Not sure of the commute, but, we will see.

Based on my requirement for a garage (I drive a sports car on tracks in HPDEs as a hobby), limits my options... we will see what I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
A consideration for Richmond:

Some who live there think that it's very socially segregated with little mixing between white and black communities. It is changing though.

Yeah. This has me worried, but where I live now, I regularly (about once a month or so, NOT daily) see Confederate Flags, so I am sort of used to it.

I have had no problems with normal interactions and usually get along with rural to city people...I am just concerned about the negative fringes of society (rural or city) that can impact my life every once in awhile in a negative way.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:12 PM

722 posts, read 1,925,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyngcsu View Post
Not sure exactly what you are looking for in a property but there are condos in the Haymarket/Gainesville area that meet your listed criteria. Probably more in Manassas but the schools are not a good.
6261 Aster Haven Circle UNIT 20, Haymarket, VA 20169 | MLS PW9749691 | Listing Information | Long and Foster
I agree. Maybe someone else can weigh in on the commute from Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket to Reston/Herndon, but there are definitely townhomes in the area that meet your budget and garage requirements. We live in Bristow and in general I am happy with the schools.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:26 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,408,917 times
It depends on what you're looking for.

Personally, DC/NoVa is the far superior choice because, while cost of living is higher here, your earning potential is far higher here. And overall this area offers a ton of amenities that you can't easily find elsewhere in the state.

I lived in Richmond briefly after graduating college, I didn't care for it much, but I'm also from NoVa so it was somewhat of a different world for me, to be completely honest. But I know tons of people who have moved there and love it, it just depends on your personality and what you're looking for.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:27 PM

110 posts, read 123,792 times
I actually work in Reston and live in Haymarket. I get to work at 630am and leave at 3pm. Morning commute is 30-35 minutes and evening is 35-45 depending on traffic. So not bad if you can leave early. Even later it isn't terrible unless there are accidents.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:39 PM

The main reason my push to try and make NOVA work is DC. Living in Dallas the last ten years, I miss a top tier urban city (I grew up in NYC and lived in Gaithersburg for about a year in the 90's). Dallas is more like a second tier city. Richmond is probably like Dallas but with quick access to a top tier, which Dallas does not have.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:46 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,850,526 times
JMO - in some areas of Richmond you'll see more/lots of confederate flags

Old 11-14-2016, 05:21 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,292,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnyc View Post
Yeah. This has me worried, but where I live now, I regularly (about once a month or so, NOT daily) see Confederate Flags, so I am sort of used to it.

I have had no problems with normal interactions and usually get along with rural to city people...I am just concerned about the negative fringes of society (rural or city) that can impact my life every once in awhile in a negative way.
I wouldn't say that Dallas and Richmond are comparable. I come from Texas (Houston, Houston suburbs, and Austin). Richmond is way more Old South than Dallas. It feels very traditional and formal in many ways. The rise of VCU has changed that, but it's still prevalent. My family member in an interracial marriage was ostracized from his church and friend group (and he was a lawyer not some "hick.") it's not really even the confederate flags. It's the completely separate social structure that seems most akin to a place like Atlanta. Perhaps someone who has spent more time there can chime in.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:43 PM

Wow. Thanks. Didn't think that deeply into it.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:01 PM

313 posts, read 552,462 times
OP have you thought about looking into NC? I would think your dollar would go further than in NoVA and areas like Charlotte, and the Triangle would give you an up and coming area. Lots of jobs here for sure, but that area isn't too bad either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia