Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:23 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,798,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Queen street is absolutely lovely and picturesque, and I hope no one is janking it up with outsized additions to the rowhomes there.
Ditto. I think if people want houses you can renovate and build something that is too big for their lot, that may slide in some places but it should be kept out of a historic district. I really wish Arlington kept a tighter rein on that in some neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 09:20 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,981,060 times
It's a double edged sword. I lived next to a historic area in Phoenix, and while both neighborhoods were decimated by the crash...ours came back stronger and the restrictions were the big reason. We were only subject to restrictions on demolishing houses older than 100...they had to even use guidelines on paint colors and zero Mcmansions. Their taxes remained higher after the crash, but not the values. There was even a segment on 60 minutes about a couple, who bought there at 400k, and were sending in the jingle mail at a value of 80k. I paid 18,000 less than a mile from them.

Last edited by Hal Roach; 12-26-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-26-2016, 05:16 PM

319 posts, read 279,961 times
This is why I bought a house in the sticks, neighbors are like your wife's mother, the further away the better.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:41 AM

406 posts, read 626,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrotalpha View Post
This is why I bought a house in the sticks, neighbors are like your wife's mother, the further away the better.
that's funny.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:24 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,636,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill riner View Post
My husband and I have been looking for a home in Old Town for 3 years. We bought a townhouse on Queen Street that was in awful shape. The last time it had been updated was 1960. At one time in history there had been a fire, therefore nothing is orginial, as it is in the neighoring houses. The owner had a cat, and the house smells like a cat box. The house was a challenge; however we saw the possiblilities. We hired one of the best builders in Old Town. He came up with a design that would become a home we could live in for many years.
The neighbors who we thought would be fun and inviting, turned against the renovation! One person at the end of the row realized that if we build out 8 feet, other owners in the row could build out. The owner at the end of the row can't build out because he built a garage and the land to building ratio doesn't allow him to build out farther. For his selfish reasons he has convinced others in the neighborhood to fight against our improvement. The front of our historical house remains the same, except for removing the AC unit in the window, cleaning and fresh paint. We want the front to look and remain in it's historical way. If you are looking to live in Old Town - think twice!!! Neighbors like this will bring down the property values, because people won't pay for houses that can not be renovated. I strongly support the front of historical houses to look and be "historical". Yet, it's important for houses to be renovated in a manner that will allow the occupant to enjoy living in OT, while increasing the property value, which equals more tax revenue.
Neighborhoods like Old Town generally don't decline. Think about Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and Chevy Chase in DC. These are all upscale neighborhoods like Old Town and even though neighborhoods like Logan Circle, Shaw, U Street, Adams Morgan have gone through gentrification has is affected property values in these neighborhoods? My guess is no. These are established neighborhoods in DC and I don't see them declining from a property value standpoint. When I think about it property values will increase as bar business decreases in these areas due to people going to the more up and coming areas (minus tourists) for night time entertainment. If you're older and prefer a quieter neighborhood the 3 neighborhoods I mentioned are more desirable and will actually bring a premium. As Del Ray in Alexandria gentrifies a lot of people will shift over there for nightlife which will leave Old Town a little quieter and will actually boost real estate prices in my opinion since it will attract older people. Older people generally have more resources, are more apt to buy, want a quieter area, etc. At the end of the day, established neighborhoods will always be a draw but the demographics will shift. Dupont Circle nowadays compared to a decade ago is very different.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:09 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,842,757 times
The thread was started by a one-time poster griping because the changes they wanted to make in a historical area weren't allowed.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: