Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,623 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking for a home in Old Town for 3 years. We bought a townhouse on Queen Street that was in awful shape. The last time it had been updated was 1960. At one time in history there had been a fire, therefore nothing is orginial, as it is in the neighoring houses. The owner had a cat, and the house smells like a cat box. The house was a challenge; however we saw the possiblilities. We hired one of the best builders in Old Town. He came up with a design that would become a home we could live in for many years.
The neighbors who we thought would be fun and inviting, turned against the renovation! One person at the end of the row realized that if we build out 8 feet, other owners in the row could build out. The owner at the end of the row can't build out because he built a garage and the land to building ratio doesn't allow him to build out farther. For his selfish reasons he has convinced others in the neighborhood to fight against our improvement. The front of our historical house remains the same, except for removing the AC unit in the window, cleaning and fresh paint. We want the front to look and remain in it's historical way. If you are looking to live in Old Town - think twice!!! Neighbors like this will bring down the property values, because people won't pay for houses that can not be renovated. I strongly support the front of historical houses to look and be "historical". Yet, it's important for houses to be renovated in a manner that will allow the occupant to enjoy living in OT, while increasing the property value, which equals more tax revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 04:11 AM

76 posts, read 87,122 times
That's the thing on old town. Nice historic style places, restrictions everywhere.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:02 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,644 times
Old Town citizens are very involved and generally wealthy. This should be known prior to buying.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:33 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill riner View Post
One person at the end of the row realized that if we build out 8 feet, other owners in the row could build out. The owner at the end of the row can't build out because he built a garage and the land to building ratio doesn't allow him to build out farther. For his selfish reasons he has convinced others in the neighborhood to fight against our improvement..
I don't understand this. It doesn't make sense that someone would be against something ONLY because they couldn't do it themselves? My guess is that he (and others) are actually opposed to this because it will alter the overall look and profile of the house.

Quote:
The front of our historical house remains the same, except for removing the AC unit in the window, cleaning and fresh paint. We want the front to look and remain in it's historical way. If you are looking to live in Old Town - think twice!!! Neighbors like this will bring down the property values, because people won't pay for houses that can not be renovated. I strongly support the front of historical houses to look and be "historical".
The value of a historic home is much more than just the FRONT.

Quote:
My husband and I have been looking for a home in Old Town for 3 years. We bought a townhouse on Queen Street that was in awful shape. The last time it had been updated was 1960. At one time in history there had been a fire, therefore nothing is orginial, as it is in the neighoring houses. The owner had a cat, and the house smells like a cat box. The house was a challenge; however we saw the possiblilities. We hired one of the best builders in Old Town. He came up with a design that would become a home we could live in for many years.
Quote:
Yet, it's important for houses to be renovated in a manner that will allow the occupant to enjoy living in OT, while increasing the property value, which equals more tax revenue.
There are zero restrictions as to what you can do to renovate and modernize the interior of your home. You can make it as new and nice as you want; and thousands of people have done this to other homes in OT. What you want to do is, though, is add an extension. This is highly regulated within Old Town, and you should have done your research BEFORE purchasing, if this is the only way to alter your house so you can enjoy it.

And as an actual real estate agent representing yourself on this purchase, you should have known all this.

Last edited by spencgr; 12-17-2016 at 06:45 AM..

Old 12-17-2016, 09:12 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times
Quote:
... One person at the end of the row realized that if we build out 8 feet, other owners in the row could build out. The owner at the end of the row can't build out because he built a garage and the land to building ratio doesn't allow him to build out farther. For his selfish reasons he has convinced others in the neighborhood to fight against our improvement. The front of our historical house remains the same, except for removing the AC unit in the window, cleaning and fresh paint. We want the front to look and remain in it's historical way. If you are looking to live in Old Town - think twice!!! Neighbors like this will bring down the property values, because people won't pay for houses that can not be renovated. I strongly support the front of historical houses to look and be "historical". Yet, it's important for houses to be renovated in a manner that will allow the occupant to enjoy living in OT, while increasing the property value, which equals more tax revenue.
This makes me more likely to want to live in Old Town, knowing there's no chance a new neighbor will add some monstrosity to the back of their house that will rob me of sunlight, a nice view, or my privacy.

The claim that "people won't pay for houses that can not be renovated" (even while property values have only gone up in OT) is based on a false premise: you can renovate; you just can't expand. If you want a huge house, you should've bought somewhere else.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:30 AM

601 posts, read 593,301 times
Queen street is absolutely lovely and picturesque, and I hope no one is janking it up with outsized additions to the rowhomes there.

Last edited by TheWatchmen; 12-17-2016 at 09:52 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 08:11 AM

771 posts, read 1,460,081 times
I really don't think the area is going to decline. What you describe is annoying but certainly the rule in historic districts. If you purchase a home in one, you simply can't do it assuming any renovations that alter the exterior of the house will be easily approved even if it looks to you like it will be a slam-dunk improvement, and quite the contrary...you must be ready and willing to lobby and fight for it and possibly lose. This tendency to deny most changes is what keeps historic districts historic, and its very ingrained in the people that live in them and preserve them.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:04 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
One of the best builders in Old Town proposed design plans that were turned down by the Board of Architectural Review? The rejection was based solely on your neighbors' objections?

No, Old Town will not decline based on adherence to preservation requirements, or NIMBYism, or rich residents with influence, etc etc. Disputes over what one can and cannot do with their property in Old Town comes with the territory, and for every owner chagrined at having plans rejected, there are more potential owners looking to buy.

Here's a story from 2007 about the BAR fining Boyd Walker for unauthorized changes to a building: Board levies hefty fine on developer | Alexandria Times | Alexandria, VA

Old 12-20-2016, 03:31 PM

406 posts, read 625,583 times
I use to sell real estate in New Orleans before moving to NOVA. Now I sell real estate in Northern Virginia.

The very reason you do not like Old Town is the same this that makes it more desirable to other residents.

People that choose to live in historic districts like living with restrictions. They like policing their neighbors. They like control.

It sounds like your real estate agent should have advised you against living in a restricted neighborhood because you like freedom.

Move to the burbs and build what you want.

Live in Old Town and enjoy the blast from the past.

This same topic would come up time and time again with New Orleans historic districts. The historic districts are4 more likely to hold their values through recessions because the homes are not over built and the residence are usually upper middle class.

Don't cause yourself so much stress.

Move to an area that will allow you to do what you want.

Also, don't be surprised that your neighbors don't think like you. You're an outsider.

Hope this helps.

AW

Old 12-20-2016, 03:36 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post

It sounds like your real estate agent should have advised you against living in a restricted neighborhood because you like freedom.
ah, but she was her own agent for this deal. She should have known better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: